My new Legacy Mahogany kit! And a question

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
These really do look great Amy. I am pretty surprised how quickly you got them from the time of ordering. When I ordered my classic maples in January 2012 from DCP, it took close to 5 months. I think I got them the first week of June. Definitely well worth the wait though. I'll bet these sound great though. Now we need to see a pic of the red and green together! What color did you get for the snare drum?

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
These really do look great Amy. I am pretty surprised how quickly you got them from the time of ordering. When I ordered my classic maples in January 2012 from DCP, it took close to 5 months. I think I got them the first week of June. Definitely well worth the wait though. I'll bet these sound great though. Now we need to see a pic of the red and green together! What color did you get for the snare drum?
Thanks Kurt! I'll definitely be posting some red/green pics at Christmas. LOL!

I ordered a silver sparkle mahogany snare. Figured it will go with all my kits, kind of neutral. Green, red, and silver sparkle are my 3 favorites. :)

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Thanks Kurt! I'll definitely be posting some red/green pics at Christmas. LOL!

I ordered a silver sparkle mahogany snare. Figured it will go with all my kits, kind of neutral. Green, red, and silver sparkle are my 3 favorites. :)
very cool. sounds like a great choice. Are you going to chicago this year?

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you going to keep the t-rods on your bass drum? Transporting always ends up with t-rods getting moved. :(
I have T rods on my Gretsch kit that I put Jam nuts on against the lugs to hold the T Rods in place. It works beautifully. Just a thought!

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have T rods on my Gretsch kit that I put Jam nuts on against the lugs to hold the T Rods in place. It works beautifully. Just a thought!
Ah, that makes sense. I never knew about those back in the day when I detuned my bass drum every time I packed it up and moved it.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations Amy! I know the joy of a new custom ordered set well. Those look great and I’m sure they sound great too!

I would bet that Ludwig has this finish in stock. I see a lot of the online dealers offering red sparkle pre configured setups.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For Bass Reso I would also consider the Fiberskyn FeltTone (built-in felt strip) but I haven't personally tried one.
I've got one keeping my Broadkaster 24" monster of a kick in check, while still being resonant enough, if a bit pillow-y. Probably a good choice for OP's grass-rock acoustic stuff.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got one keeping my Broadkaster 24" monster of a kick in check, while still being resonant enough, if a bit pillow-y. Probably a good choice for OP's grass-rock acoustic stuff.
I'm using one on the reso of my 12x22 Classic Oak (with a standard Fiberskyn Ambassador batter). It's a cannon. It's the first drum I've had that's too "big" for my home studio (and I've had / have Gretsch 24" and 26" and a Sonor Phonic 22")

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm using one on the reso of my 12x22 Classic Oak (with a standard Fiberskyn Ambassador batter). It's a cannon. It's the first drum I've had that's too "big" for my home studio (and I've had / have Gretsch 24" and 26" and a Sonor Phonic 22")
I should've mentionned that my 24 is ported, because while unported, those 2 inches of felt only took the umph factor down from "this is just ridiculous" to "huge and thunderous". The port brings the boominess further down a notch into a somewhat everyday workable range.

I'm curious to hear your Classic oak though, if you have audio clips somewhere... ;-)

Twakeshima

Reaction score
Awesome! I’ve had mine for a few years; it’s a 7 piece natural finish satin. I use Remo clear black dots on all of my toms which is great for TI I g and sustain but that might be a little modern. I’d say some nice single ply coated for a vintage sound like everyone else. That 16 can go pretty low with new heads don’t be afraid to make it nice and deep. If you’re going for an old school boomy bass drum, use minimal muffling. I prefer a shorter decay on my kick however, because the notes don’t get muddy as easily. Kit looks great. Good luck!

Martin Novom

Reaction score
These just arrived, so pardon me for showing them off. Lol. Amazing work by the folks at Ludwig here in NC!

Legacy Mahogany 13/16/22 with a 1965 Pioneer snare. For those of you playing Mahogany kits, what heads are using for an old-school sound? I'm trying Vintage Ambassadors on toms and PS3 on bass for now, but open to suggestions.

Since I have "bright and cutting" covered with my other Ludwig kits and Paiste 2002s and Giant Beats, I really wanted a vintage, old-school, dark, warm, but lots of tone, sound. I joined an all-female acoustic 3-part vocal harmony "grass-rock" band and thought these would fit the bill perfectly. And being a Paiste fanatic since 1991 when I got my first Paiste, the decision to go back to Zildjians for this was not taken lightly. But after some trial and error, I fell in love with the Keropes after hearing Chris Powell use them with The Highwomen. I'll probably also pair them with my Paiste 602s for some recording.

I'm loving this kit! Thanks for letting me show them off.

View attachment 499139 View attachment 499140 View attachment 499141 View attachment 499142 View attachment 499143 View attachment 499144
Amy: Your new set looks wonderful. Can I ask about the red felts? Who makes them and where did you get them? Enjoy your new set up. Martin

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Reminds me of my (now gone) Legacy kit. Why I unloaded it, I have no idea. Temporary insanity I guess. I had a 24. Boom! It’s a great kit! Enjoy.
View attachment 499273
If I'm not mistaken, these were also red glass which they don't offer anymore. Those were amazing looking drums and I would imagine they sounded quite nice.

Torquey

Reaction score
Congrats on that gorgeous kit! Actually, I was thinking of going the other direction with my Legacy Mahogany kit. I got it when it was very recently released, and it was first known through Ludwig as "The Beast", a name and a configuration which they since dropped. 10x14, 16x16, 16x18, 14x26 to which I added a 9x13. I think they were going for a Bonham kit, and named a Maple kit "The Zep" kit or something like that instead.

In any event, this beast does indeed sound like thunder, and I was wondering what 2 ply heads like the Evans UV2 would sound on them just to firm them up a tad. I like the vintage warmth and I cannot imagine that it would be lost with the 3 ply Mahogany shells regardless of head choice. Yet I am still pondering...

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice drums , Amy !!

Remo coated amb's , both sides worked best on the WFL's I used to have .

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, these were also red glass which they don't offer anymore. Those were amazing looking drums and I would imagine they sounded quite nice.
You are correct sir. Another one of those “I have no clue why I unloaded them” kits.