My NEW Ludwig's!!

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
OK; finally, finally my new CM Ludwig’s made the trip. I picked them up last week from Tommy’s Drum Shop. They are beautiful (of course I would say that) and they sound amazing. There are no mounting holes on the drums except the 16x16 has the standard led mounts and the bass drum is with spurs mounted. They all have REMO heads; the toms have Coated and Clear Ambassadors with a Ludwig logo at the top and a small REMO logo at the bottom of the head. The bass drum has PS3’s Clear on the batter side and PS3 Smooth White on the reso side with large Ludwig logo and small REMO logo at the bottom.

The color is the Exotic Guilted Makore Veneer over Ploy-Glass lacquer finish.

upload_2018-12-12_23-24-8.png

Photo from Website:

The sizes are 8x10, 9x12, 16x16 and 14x20 bass.

As some of you may remember since 1994, I’ve been playing a late 80’s Ludwig kit and it’s a great sounding kit and will be used as my practice kit. I did not realize how much difference there would be in the sound of the two kits but it’s huge in my opinion.

Last Sunday I played them for the first time basically right out of the box. I barley had time to install the ATLAS mounts on the 10 and 12 toms and drove to Schulenberg TX (90 miles) for a Christmas dance; playing Big Band Music for the first time with some good friends that I had played with about 10 years ago and had a blast. The guys really liked the new drums but commented on how long they ring while setting them up. I replied; don’t worry I have mufflers to kill some of that ring. Well it turned out that during the second hour I began removing those mufflers due to the large room and the loud volume of the group on stage.

Speaking of right out of the box; I did use some old cases form the old set. The sizes are different but at least they were protected. The bass drum was the only one still in the card board box. New cases are on order as we speak. Anyway, as I removed the bass, I realized I haven’t even adjusted the spurs then when I setup the floor tom, the legs wouldn’t go in the mounts; “WHAT I DO NOW” and the clock is running. I twisted and pushed and twisted and pushed then finally the legs were adjusted to the proper height. During the tear down the legs came out nice and easy. AND it’s a good thing one of the employees was nice enough to do some tuning for me that day before I arrived to pick them up. I think he really did it because he wanted to hear the 14x20 bass drum with two PS3 heads.

Sorry for the long post but I'm excited,
sherm

Zalloy

Reaction score
congrats one your new Luddies... she's gorgeous!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, beautiful! Nothing better than new drum day. Congratulations, enjoy them!

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats, man! Can't wait to get mine as well. That Makore finish is an eye-catcher for sure. Are you re-doing your hardware setup with the ATLAS gear? I can't believe how great that stuff is; it's going to save me a TON of stand cash and real estate. Be sure to hook us up with some videos and/or sound clips!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Hey CherryClassic,

Welcome to the club!
Are those like the easiest drums EVER to tune?!
...and good news, the drums will get mellower as time goes on (but not too much ;) ).
What kind of cases are you going to use with these?
I ended up with Tuxedo bags for my CM's (Interstate was having a sale).
Anyway, congrats on your new grab. They look great!

Elvis

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, Ludwig has come a LONG way in their manufacturing process and quality control since moving to NC and revamping a few things. Their radio frequency tuned shells are right up there with anything manufactured by Sonor, DW, or a boutique shop. They just don't do much with changing their overall look because, well, they're Ludwig and they don't have to!
I wish they would set up a true custom shop though. It would be cool to be able to pick your materials, ply configuration, hardware, and expanded finishes. Maybe introduce some tube lugs as an option and bring back the signet lugs as well which I understand are supposed to be a cool lug. I bring this to the table because I had a chance to try their maple/cherry shells on the Neusonics and they were KILLER. I would LOVE to be able to order those shells in the sizes I need, not just a limited, pre configured shell pack.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! It's always a great thing to get something you have waited so long for and have it meet all your expectations.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Currently I only own vintage Ludwig drums - 2 OBP 60's kits (20, 12, 16 and a 20,12,14 Club date), and a project club date kit. The "newest" Ludwig I owned was from the mid 90's.

When did they start building the USA drums with this "radio frequency tuned shells" technology? I understand the concept of using RF for various applications, but does anyone think they can hear the difference between a current USA drum and one made prior to incorporating this into their process?

Last edited:

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Purty!

What's your take on the difference in sound between the 80's (Classic or Super Classic shells?) and the Classic Maples?

-Ryan

Dave HCV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with Classic Maple and that finish is beautiful. Good selection on sizes, too.

Latest posts