My New/Old Camco Floor Tom!

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Just scored this little gem on the bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...3#ht_500wt_1156

I contacted the guy with an offer after the auction ended and he went for it. It'll be on the way to me from California tomorrow.

It'll be wrapped in red glass glitter to match my kit and placed into service. I am so in love with my Camco's... I can't wait to add one more to my stable.

John

Jolo

Reaction score
Nice score John,
12x15's make killer floor toms, especially when matched with an 8x12. I have an Oaklawn and an LA model.
The LA 12x15 is part of a mint tom set including an 8x12 and 9x13, but I haven't yet found a 22 or 20 bass.
KaBoom,
Joe

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
Do you realize that's the rarest of the rare lacquer finishes? Rewrapping that one is blasphemy, especially since I have the matching 12" tom (Chanute as well).

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Do you realize that's the rarest of the rare lacquer finishes? Rewrapping that one is blasphemy,

It took me six months to get over the guilt of recovering the 20" bass drum. now you're going to make me feel bad all over again over the 15"! LOL

> especially since I have the matching 12" tom (Chanute as well).

Ah so! Grasshopper reveals real motive behind comment! LOL

Tell you what, if you have a 14" collecting dust somewhere I'll swap you my 15" for it!

John

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw that auction and was wondering if you would be bidding on it John. Glad you won it to add to your Camco monster!

Jolo

Reaction score
If two people have toms that match each other they should try there best to unite them,
unless one is already on a set. A 20" or 22" bass could show up to make a very nice set.
Work it out boys.

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
How's that layer of wrap over the outer veneer going to effect the head fit?
First question I asked was; how do heads fit the drum. He told me heads spin on the shell so I should be ok. If not, I can always relieve the top and bottom edges of the wrap slightly to accommodate heads.

Jolo/Steve I am amenable to a swap. All I really want is a second smaller floor tom to go with my kit. If not, this one gets recovered and I won't think twice or feel bad about it. I love my Camco's and in the end, it is just an assembly of orphans anyway, so I see recovering and adding it to my kit as 'saving' it. If one of you has a 14" bring it on. If not, this puppy gets plugged, rewrapped and added to my kit.

John

GrooveSuperfly

Reaction score
Do you realize that's the rarest of the rare lacquer finishes? Rewrapping that one is blasphemy, especially since I have the matching 12" tom (Chanute as well).
But if I understaid right, it was a natural stain from begining, and have been modifyed later to ebony stain????

Since it was "handmade" Ebony stain, and not LA era, I didnt bid on that one....

But hey, if anyone have LA Ebony Stain tom , let me know!!!!
12" , 15 and/or 16"

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
But if I understaid right, it was a natural stain from begining, and have been modifyed later to ebony stain????

Since it was "handmade" Ebony stain, and not LA era, I didnt bid on that one....

But hey, if anyone have LA Ebony Stain tom , let me know!!!!
12" , 15 and/or 16"
The language barrier got you on this one! The ad states: "It's the ebony color - the clear coat was Professionally redone " Only the clear-coat was redone, the finish is original. It's an easy misinterpretation to make if English is not your first language. But I'm kinda glad you misread it and didn't bid... I ended up getting a great drum and for a good price. I just had the 'Home court advantage' in this case. It's all just a matter of luck in the end.

John

4164SB

DFO Master
Reaction score
How's that layer of wrap over the outer veneer going to effect the head fit?
First question I asked was; how do heads fit the drum. He told me heads spin on the shell so I should be ok. If not, I can always relieve the top and bottom edges of the wrap slightly to accommodate heads.

John
If it's anything like the shells my Camco, you should have plenty of room to spare!

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
That's a sweet set of drums my friend! I didn't think it was possible to fall in love again with anything at my age. My Camco's make me feel like a kid at X-mas every time I sit own to play. Sound-wise, they are the most rewarding drums a drummer can play. I honestly don't think it gets any better than Camco/Geo. Way when it comes to sit-down playability and FAT-CITY pure tone. The sound I get from my 20" bass drum and the two toms is so very perfect, it's almost 'other worldly.' They just sound so 'right.'

Camco is #1 with no peers as far as I'm concerned.

John

ludwigfire

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Camco is #1 with no peers as far as I'm concerned.
Man, I think you just hurt your clubbies' feelings.

I can't wait to see finished pics when you get them all together! For some reason I am drawn to red sparkle/glass glitter like a bug to a lightbulb.

Congrats on finding the finishing touch!

Clay

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
> Man, I think you just hurt your clubbies' feelings.

Not at all! They know I love them all... just not equally. I treat them like Mormon wives, everybody gets a turn! lol

> I can't wait to see finished pics when you get them all together!

I can't wait to show them! First the snare project then this new floor tom.

> For some reason I am drawn to red sparkle/glass glitter like a bug to a lightbulb.

Me too... Red Glass is just a classic.

> Congrats on finding the finishing touch!

Man, you don't how happy I am to have found it and - at a price I could afford.

John

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
I did a 5 hour recording project (was manning the system myself, so I don't want to call it a "session," haha) yesterday with my 12/15/20 Camcos and had them tuned both at a nice medium pitch and all the way down to HUGE, fat rock land. I kept holding off using the kick for most of the day, preferring my 14x22 Slingerland, as the stuff I was doing was more "rock" and I thought that I wanted a bigger sound. I should have known better... I pulled out my Camco kick near the end of the day, dropped the tension on both heads, and couldn't stop laughing when it blew my Slingy kick out of the water. It tunes lower and is so, so much fatter and fuller than that bigger drum!

Then today, I took my Camcos to a jazz gig, cranked them way, way up and had all three drums singing crystal clear Maxish bop sound in five minutes. What a kit. That 12x15 floor of mine is a wonder, and I'm sure you're going to LOVE this one! It might just replace your 16x16 for a lot of situations. And as tempting as it can be to keep "the nice kit" at home, please don't deprive yourself of the fun of playing such a beautiful instrument out and about with others!

Latest posts