header.nohb.html

My new Oriollo Phantom 62 with etching!

ajkim18

Reaction score
Hey all,

I received my new Oriollo Phantom snare a couple days ago, and I've got to say, I'm totally blown away. It is hands down THE BEST snare drum I have ever played. It is very warm, and has really nice overtones. Definitely not harsh in tone, but still cuts. It's pretty much the best of metal and wood in one drum. I was inspired to get a Phantom after watching Sinclair's promo video, so I sold off a Ludwig COB to get my hands on this drum. I remember Sinclair saying that his Phantom 65 was the best 6.5 deep snare he has ever played, and it really does live up to that expectation. This drum is 14x6.25 with a black oyster patina and laser etching. The top edge is rounded, and the bottom edge is 45 degrees. I also had Vukan drill the shell for an INDe strainer, which I installed myself (speaking of INDe, shoutout to Josh for making one of the best and smoothest strainers I have used, and I've pretty much tried all the ones out there).

On top of the sound, the customer service from Oriollo is top notch. I started talking with Vukan from Oriollo a month ago to order a snare. After talking for about a week and a half, I sent the payment, it was completed within a week and at my door after another week. The communication was really excellent given the time difference. The reason why we talked for over a week was because I am very indecisive...which I'm sure was a pain for Vukan, but he was very very accommodating. I had originally asked for a 14x5.5 with a patina-- he put a patina on the shell, and I didn't love it. So, we talked a bit more about different finishes and tried a different finish on a different shell for me (who does that?!), and we decided on a black oyster patina which I loved. He mentioned that he just got a laser etching machine, so I told him what kind of etching I was looking for, and he did the etching at no extra charge.

I know there are a lot of seamless aluminum drums out there, especially at an affordable price point. I've seen guys on other forums saying that they'll stick to their Pearls and Ludwigs, and while those are fine drums, they do not innovate like Vukan does. Every single finish that he does is top notch, unique, and unlike anything that's on the market right now. The shells are perfectly round, extremely light, and the edges are great too (which big company is doing hybrid edges on their metal drums?). All of his lugs and throw offs are made in house-- I've never seen so many different offerings of lugs and strainers from one company before, not to mention, he's coming up with new designs all the time.

Anyways, here are some pics (i'll make sure to make a video soon):
20170524_100544.jpg 20170524_100739.jpg 20170524_100644.jpg 20170524_005350.jpg

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw him post this on instagram. Really cool stuff here. I like the etching and I think we can all agree Vukan hit a home run with this new lug. I use my 6.5s mainly, but my 5.5 phantom is such a great drum too, so I could see where a 6.2 phantom would be awesome. Your oyster patina has a lot tighter of a pattern than mine, so it comes off a little more subtle, which I really like. That would look rad on a kit. Congrats!

fun2drum

Team DFO
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my gosh - what a beautiful drum.
You may call me crazy but I think those lugs in varying lengths would be awesome on toms and bass drums too.

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow! Beautiful drum and I know it sounds good because I know how good my Phantom 55 sounds. It has literally taken over all snare drum duties.........has not left the stand since I got it. I can not say enough good things about Oriollo drums. Congratulaions on a wonderful acquisition.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
As always, Vukan delivers! Nice!

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow! that's beautiful, I want one. that might be the nicest snare drum I have ever seen. AJ I will pm you for more info

S1militudo

Reaction score
Having a Phantom 65 myself I am still kind of jealous :D. Really nice and classy finish you came up with and those new lugs... Mhhhh

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice snare.....love the color and etchings. How did you come up with that design? Did you send him a photo or what? Did they make it up?
Can't wait for a vid.....

Corsair

Reaction score
Beautiful drum Andy.

I like how the lugs make the entire shell look concave. Cool effect.

Enjoy!

ajkim18

Reaction score
Thanks all!

JCKLudwig said:
I saw him post this on instagram. Really cool stuff here. I like the etching and I think we can all agree Vukan hit a home run with this new lug. I use my 6.5s mainly, but my 5.5 phantom is such a great drum too, so I could see where a 6.2 phantom would be awesome. Your oyster patina has a lot tighter of a pattern than mine, so it comes off a little more subtle, which I really like. That would look rad on a kit. Congrats!
Yup, I specifically asked him for a tighter pattern. Also, I agree that this lug is great. It's one of my favorite lugs out there.

JazzDrumGuy said:
Nice snare.....love the color and etchings. How did you come up with that design? Did you send him a photo or what? Did they make it up?
Can't wait for a vid.....
Thanks! It was a lot of back and forth with Vukan. He suggested that I could do a dark background color with the lighter color etching, so that the etching would be more visible (as compared to just a natural aluminum). I saw some pictures of the black oyster patina, and I like it, so we went with that. In terms of etching, I sent him some examples of etchings that I liked, and also told him that I wanted most of the shell to be covered. I left the rest up to him