My new set. 1975 Slingerland

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beautiful! Congrats! The floor tom looks like a 14x14, probably because the 9x13 is in the foreground.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
how'd you get the leg off your hi hat stand?

They sure look good tho.
Even the hole in the front head doesn't detract too much.

maybe they should just make a decal for that hole in the front head thing. hmm.
don't anyone steal that idea.

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
It is a Tama 2 leg HH stand

how'd you get the leg off your hi hat stand?

They sure look good tho.
Even the hole in the front head doesn't detract too much.

maybe they should just make a decal for that hole in the front head thing. hmm.
don't anyone steal that idea.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those 70's Slingerland shells were just perfection.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
WOW! That looks stunning! Congrats on the new addition to the family! Many happy years of drumming bliss to you!!

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those are gorgeous, one of the contenders for my favorite finishes of all time. I just got a set of 70s Slingerlands (in BDP - the other contender) and that bass drum is amazing. 3 ply but a noticeable notch above the 60s Slingerlands and Ludwigs I've had before. I have pet theories about why, but don't know enough about wood/finishes or have enough sample size to voice it out loud.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Those really look fantastic. I have a set of Slingerland Stage Band drums in White Marine Pearl that I bought in 1975. 8x12, 14x14 and a 14x20 bass drum. I found a 9x13 stage band tom in WMP and have added it to the kit for a true 5 piece stage band kit that never existed. But what I love about these drums most of all is their sound. Those shells were very well made with maple poplar and mahogany (I think).

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those are gorgeous, one of the contenders for my favorite finishes of all time. I just got a set of 70s Slingerlands (in BDP - the other contender) and that bass drum is amazing. 3 ply but a noticeable notch above the 60s Slingerlands and Ludwigs I've had before. I have pet theories about why, but don't know enough about wood/finishes or have enough sample size to voice it out loud.
Oh come on! That's what this place is for!

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It just seems like those 70s Slingerland maple interiors are somehow "harder" than other 3 ply drums. I mean obviously they are harder/stronger than the mahogany interior drums, but even compared to earlier Slingerland, or 3 ply Ludwig with Maple interiors . . . who knows, my sample size is small

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
It just seems like those 70s Slingerland maple interiors are somehow "harder" than other 3 ply drums. I mean obviously they are harder/stronger than the mahogany interior drums, but even compared to earlier Slingerland, or 3 ply Ludwig with Maple interiors . . . who knows, my sample size is small
I agree, and I am more of a Gretsch and Ludwig guy.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Those really look fantastic. I have a set of Slingerland Stage Band drums in White Marine Pearl that I bought in 1975. 8x12, 14x14 and a 14x20 bass drum. I found a 9x13 stage band tom in WMP and have added it to the kit for a true 5 piece stage band kit that never existed. But what I love about these drums most of all is their sound. Those shells were very well made with maple poplar and mahogany (I think).
They weren't cataloged, but I've seen some 5 pc. stage band kits and had one.
red tiger 4.jpg

MntnMan62

Reaction score
They weren't cataloged, but I've seen some 5 pc. stage band kits and had one. View attachment 426253
Wow. That is the first one I've ever heard of with 5 pieces. One of the best things about that era's Slingerlands was that version of the Set O Matic tom mount. It's rock solid and can be adjusted in a million different ways. Nice set you have there. Or had. If you sold it would you mind sharing how much you were able to get for it? And when?

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Gene Krupa 1n kit, they look fantastic !!
The orignal 1Ns in the '60s were 22, 13, 16...then in the mid '60s they cataloged them with 20" bass drums until the '76 catalog. If the tom on the poster's set has a tom mount, the set may have come as part of the Duet outfit, which for many years had two virgin 20s.
If the 13" was sent out of the factory with no mount, that would be pretty rare.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wow. That is the first one I've ever heard of with 5 pieces. One of the best things about that era's Slingerlands was that version of the Set O Matic tom mount. It's rock solid and can be adjusted in a million different ways. Nice set you have there. Or had. If you sold it would you mind sharing how much you were able to get for it? And when?
The set came with the regular setomatic... I added the super setomatic deal. Sold many years ago, don't remember how much. I think it went to Europe. I sold it because I finally found a "regular" '70s red tiger 20 12 14. Will probably sell that soon... haven't put a price on it. Will sell it with the matching red tiger 4x14 Buddy Rich model snare.