My new Slingerland Red Ripple Pearl set arrived today

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Now you've gone and done it - made us all hate you out of absolute jealousy!

I jest, of course, and I applaud your good fortune. That's a home run, for sure! Those sizes, that color....

As to the Swivo cymbal bracket, back in those days, that is a very possible dealer upgrade:
Happy buyer of the drums at the dealership upon purchase: "Hey, I think I want one of those cymbal brackets on the bass drum. Gonna be playing in a lot of tight corners in smoke-filled piano lounges."
Drum Shop owner, without missing a beat (natch!), turns around, grabs Swivo bracket off the shelf, "Here, I've got just the thing. My boys in the back will have this on for you by tomorrow."

mc437

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey mc437, does the floor tom have an August '66 date stamp? Congrats on a beautiful set.
So, the bass was the only date stamp I saw when I unpacked and set up the drums, which is Aug. '66. Upon further inspection, the two toms have date stamps of Sept. '66. So, it would be more accurate to say this is a Sept. '66 kit lol. No doubt it is a factory kit, though.

Last edited:

mc437

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just called… That’s one of a couple snares that aren’t for sale. Rats! But, there’s a chance that it could be for sale at some point in the future.

thestorysold

Reaction score
Just called… That’s one of a couple snares that aren’t for sale. Rats! But, there’s a chance that it could be for sale at some point in the future.
bummer! hopefully they'll remember you if, and when, they decide to sell.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
not sure if it has already sold, or if it's even for sale, but it looks like there's a red ripple snare in the 4th row from the left.

http://instagr.am/p/CCG0xc-JxzV/
Wow,
I also have a ripple Slingerland kit w a 6 lug snare
Blue
The Pic you posted shows a blue one on the left. It’s the one I wanted all along but it’s an Artist. I called based on your pic and at $699 out of my reach.
Nice to pine over tho.
Nelson’s is probably wondering what’s up with the ripple calls
Ha

mc437

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think Rogers used the same wrap.
They did, or at least very similar. Rogers in this finish pops up more frequently. This is the only Slingerland kit in this finish I've ever seen. The guy at Nelson Drum Shop who's selling the Forks Drum Closet snare collection had only ever seen one Slingerland kit in Red Ripple Pearl. I'll probably be able to find a matching Rogers snare in the finish much easier, but I'd like to find a Slingerland someday...

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
They did, or at least very similar. Rogers in this finish pops up more frequently. This is the only Slingerland kit in this finish I've ever seen. The guy at Nelson Drum Shop who's selling the Forks Drum Closet snare collection had only ever seen one Slingerland kit in Red Ripple Pearl. I'll probably be able to find a matching Rogers snare in the finish much easier, but I'd like to find a Slingerland someday...
A wheelin', dealin' tip, then: snag the easier-find Rogers and enjoy. Remain on the watch for the "proper" Slingy. When it does come up, it's likely that the Rogers could have increased in value (they're already worth a good bit, but agreed, more common than the Slingy), maybe somebody might want to trade.

jmetatual

Reaction score
So, the bass was the only date stamp I saw when I unpacked and set up the drums, which is Aug. '66. Upon further inspection, the two toms have date stamps of Sept. '66. So, it would be more accurate to say this is a Sept. '66 kit lol. No doubt it is a factory kit, though.
Thanks mc437, I was asking because large round tone controls are not normally seen on drums this early (Sep. '66). Are the tone controls Slingerland?

mc437

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks mc437, I was asking because large round tone controls are not normally seen on drums this early (Sep. '66). Are the tone controls Slingerland?
Yes, they are Slingerland, but perhaps later versions. I believe the hole patterns are the same, so I may look to replace with period-correct.

Latest posts