My newest Slingerland set

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn’t take any before pictures but suffice it to say that they look much better now. 12/13/16/20 3 ply Niles black/silver badge with clear maple interiors in silver sparkle.

E140B544-8B75-46F4-B580-7F608E7BE2E8.jpeg

1256A85D-58DE-45B3-A496-93471C909D69.jpeg

3E65A7F8-48A1-4D0B-BEF7-FF63DF05585C.jpeg

506721D3-86A2-4A2F-AB04-65AD590BC325.jpeg

This set is mostly original although not perfect. Previous owner put modern spurs on it (2-3 xtra holes per side), and it was missing mufflers.

It also has suspension mounts when I got it and I had to put correct mounts back on. The 12 sings so nicely but the 13 is a bit dead mounted this way. It’s okay with me because I usually only want the 12 and 16, and even if I use the 13 you can’t hear a difference in the middle of a fill.

The hoops were missing some inlay, so I took the remaining pieces off before sanding and repainting the gloss black. Then I used sparkle craft tape to fill in the inlay grooves. Looks really good in my opinion. The stick saver hoops have a little corrosion in places even after cleaning, and all the bass drum T rods are scraped to some degree. I am ordering a new leg bracket for the floor tom because one of them stripped out on me.

New Aquarian coated heads on top, Remo coated ambassadors on the bottom and a SK1/regulator pair on the bass with a small travel pillow in the bottom. They sound SO GOOD, maybe better than any other Slingerlands I have had from this era. One thing I find interesting is that even though these drums likely left the factory together, there is a difference of about 12,000 between the bass drum (serial 86xxx) and the high toms (98xxx) with the floor tom in the middle (88xxx). The edges and interiors on these shells are really, really gorgeous - the inner plies are all flamed maple to some extent. I can definitely see me gigging these.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Those look wonderful, Jeremy! Congrats!

btw~ I have a very nice blk/gld oval-badged Niles DeLuxe Student model snare in silver sparkle that will match perfectly if you're interested in maybe working a swap for that Tama Kingbeat parallel snare. Just sayin' :wink:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very cool, gives me inspiration to finish my own Silver Sparkle Slingerland project (a rewrap project with two drums done and one to go).

I've always been a "Ludwig guy", but man, Slingerland made some nice drums. The craftsmanship is superior and the chrome plating is fabulous, even after almost 50 years the chrome parts all look like little shaped globs of mercury.

Get a new repro single SOM arm from Maxwell and you'll have four piece perfection.

Trilock_Gurtu

Reaction score
Those look wonderful, Jeremy! Congrats!

btw~ I have a very nice blk/gld oval-badged Niles DeLuxe Student model snare in silver sparkle that will match perfectly if you're interested in maybe working a swap for that Tama Kingbeat parallel snare. Just sayin' :wink:
Haha...how many Kingbeat's would that make?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
My daughters took notice of the new “sparkly drums” in the drum room tonight. These appear to be a new favorite in the family and not just with me!

slingerland 59 R/K snare

Reaction score
I didn’t take any before pictures but suffice it to say that they look much better now. 12/13/16/20 3 ply Niles black/silver badge with clear maple interiors in silver sparkle.

View attachment 382580
View attachment 382579
View attachment 382581
View attachment 382582

This set is mostly original although not perfect. Previous owner put modern spurs on it (2-3 xtra holes per side), and it was missing mufflers.

It also has suspension mounts when I got it and I had to put correct mounts back on. The 12 sings so nicely but the 13 is a bit dead mounted this way. It’s okay with me because I usually only want the 12 and 16, and even if I use the 13 you can’t hear a difference in the middle of a fill.

The hoops were missing some inlay, so I took the remaining pieces off before sanding and repainting the gloss black. Then I used sparkle craft tape to fill in the inlay grooves. Looks really good in my opinion. The stick saver hoops have a little corrosion in places even after cleaning, and all the bass drum T rods are scraped to some degree. I am ordering a new leg bracket for the floor tom because one of them stripped out on me.

New Aquarian coated heads on top, Remo coated ambassadors on the bottom and a SK1/regulator pair on the bass with a small travel pillow in the bottom. They sound SO GOOD, maybe better than any other Slingerlands I have had from this era. One thing I find interesting is that even though these drums likely left the factory together, there is a difference of about 12,000 between the bass drum (serial 86xxx) and the high toms (98xxx) with the floor tom in the middle (88xxx). The edges and interiors on these shells are really, really gorgeous - the inner plies are all flamed maple to some extent. I can definitely see me gigging these.
Very nicely done. It is a looker. Enjoy it. I am still looking for 12" blackrome for my kit. The search continues. Enjoy the kit.:thumbright:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Very nicely done. It is a looker. Enjoy it. I am still looking for 12" blackrome for my kit. The search continues. Enjoy the kit.:thumbright:
Thank you sir! I think blackrome is going to be harder to find than silver sparkle, but if you see a 14 floor or a matching 8 lug snare for my set please let me know and I will be glad to do the same for you!

slingerland 59 R/K snare

Reaction score
Thank you sir! I think blackrome is going to be harder to find than silver sparkle, but if you see a 14 floor or a matching 8 lug snare for my set please let me know and I will be glad to do the same for you!
Thank you.I agree with that because of the 3 years only distributed on the market. I will keep my eye out. Drum on.

slingerland 59 R/K snare

Reaction score
There is a silver shell on E-Bay now silver 8 lug? also this Silver Sparkle Mid 60's 1966-1970 Drum . Full snare. Only a 6 lug on this one.

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks I did see the shell, I think it’s priced high and has the wrong badge for my set. I do appreciate it!