My newest Slingerland set

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I can’t say the exact year because there are no date stamps inside, but these have the early 70s black and silver Niles badge with the 3 ply shells.

SlingyFan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very nice, I miss my silver sparkle Slingerlands that I traded a couple of years ago! I have a 14x14 with a black/silver badge that I'd consider letting go, shoot me a pm if you're interested.

Reaction score
Those are beautiful and the sound of the Slingerland kit from that era is “there.” Mine is the ‘63 Modern Jazz version but with 16” floor tom in blue sparkle. Modern drums have their virtues, but not the sonic charms of these rigs.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Very cool Robert, welcome to the forum! Does your '63 set have mahogany interiors? I would love a set of those as well.

Kcmcc

Reaction score
Unfortunately I can’t say the exact year because there are no date stamps inside, but these have the early 70s black and silver Niles badge with the 3 ply shells.
Clear interior or chocolate milk interior - my understanding is that the overlap of silver badge/chocolate milk is very narrow (like 70 only)

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
great job. very nice drums. love the sparkle and shine you have on these.

this kit could be your lifer gigging kit! slingerlands are built so strong in my opinion.

just started using my 22” slingerland BD again with a soul/funk band.

My slingz have been through 2+ decades of gigging, rehearsing in sheds, recordings, all weather scenarios. The drums are still rock solid with minor “players grade” issues.

Your kit can most likely be put in your will and give your kids/grandkids a quality instrument to use for decades more.

rock on!

Reaction score
Very cool Robert, welcome to the forum! Does your '63 set have mahogany interiors? I would love a set of those as well.
Thank you for the welcome. The 12x8 tom does have mahogany! However, both bass and floor have maple. There was a stretch of a year or so in there as I had to save up back as a high school student. That little tom has the magic of the era. I rolled the dice on the heads--Evans 56 Calftone.

Vibes

Reaction score
Wow ! really beautiful. That Silver Sparkle looks great. I have some SS Ludwigs. I also have a couple Slingerland sets and the early 70's set is a Avante, and those shells are some of the nicest I have ever seen. That rock maple and thick rerings. Yours look stunning. Wish they had come up with a better double tom mount. I love the single mount. Thats what I use when gigging mine as a 4 piece. Congrads on a fine job.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Damn shame that somebody drilled the bass drum for new spur brackets. But the Slingerland spur brackets sucked, just like the floor tom leg brackets and the bass drum cymbal holders. The steel wing screw was tapped directly into the soft casting, which was guaranteed to strip out sooner or later. When I had a Slingerland set, I was on Ebay all the time looking for replacements.
I can only imagine that Buddy Rich traveled with a trunk full of spare parts.

Reaction score
Damn shame that somebody drilled the bass drum for new spur brackets. But the Slingerland spur brackets sucked, just like the floor tom leg brackets and the bass drum cymbal holders. The steel wing screw was tapped directly into the soft casting, which was guaranteed to strip out sooner or later. When I had a Slingerland set, I was on Ebay all the time looking for replacements.
I can only imagine that Buddy Rich traveled with a trunk full of spare parts.
To be sure, those leg brackets and spurs were not up to par with the quality of the workmanship and art of the rest, although they did work. Somebody broke off one wing nut and took off with the spurs, so I got a '70 style replacement for one and a pair of heavy threaded spike/rubber foot pair. Sure, I hated to have to replace parts. But with a little rat-tail filing, those heavier spurs are in. I've never looked back...the solidity and support is better and that 20" punches and sings as never before--and they look great. BTW, those silver vintage are gorgeous!

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
To be sure, those leg brackets and spurs were not up to par with the quality of the workmanship and art of the rest, although they did work. Somebody broke off one wing nut and took off with the spurs, so I got a '70 style replacement for one and a pair of heavy threaded spike/rubber foot pair. Sure, I hated to have to replace parts. But with a little rat-tail filing, those heavier spurs are in. I've never looked back...the solidity and support is better and that 20" punches and sings as never before--and they look great. BTW, those silver vintage are gorgeous!
Good job. Enjoy them!