My newest vintage pad: SO COOL

bethness

Reaction score
Thought you'd appreciate a little geeking out over my latest acquisition.
I collect and research vintage practice pads. This one, though at the top of my buying budget, was too interesting to pass up.

Here's the preliminary report, research I did while waiting for the seller to ship the pad.
https://drumlove1.blogspot.com/2020/01/research-project-deco-pad-1940s.html

And here's my report after I received the pad and messed around with it a bit:

It's a fascinating design -- I can't really test the flexibility of the side panels at this point, but I understand how they're supposed to work, and if I'm careful I can get perhaps a quarter-tone of difference when I carefully adjust the side bolt.
The other nice surprise is how supple the rubber remains after over seventy years (!!).

I'll periodically post other pads here for you to enjoy.

Meanwhile, I'm still on the lookout for unusual practice pads. And I'd love to see what you collect, especially from pre-1940.
Beth

deco pad 1.png

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Really love this one! So very neat. Haven't seen another. I too collect practice pads and also gravitate towards the older and unusual. Mine are mostly WFL and Ludwig. Think I have 25 or so different ones currently. Sure need to take some pics though. Would love to see what you have.

Mike

Way Out Wardell

Reaction score
Wow, that's an interesting concept.
A while ago, there was a thread on here about the photo of Dave Tough showing a bottle wedged into his practice pad and people were trying to figure out why he put it there. Maybe you'd have some insight?

bethness

Reaction score
I'd love to see the photo. No idea.

I collect pads for couple reasons:
1. They're less costly to buy (usually) and easier to store than vintage drums; and
2. Growing up in a string of rentals, I couldn't afford -- or play -- full-sized drums without disturbing the neighbors, so my practice pad became my best friend. I have a fodness for pads and I still carry a smaller pad and sticks in my bag when I'll be out all day.
My go-to pad for daily portable use these days is one I made a few years ago. It's flat, light and small enough without being too small.

http://instagr.am/p/BwDAesPlzfS/
I just really love practice pads.

And researching the patents and stuff has been a fun little rabbit hole to go down.
B

Way Out Wardell

Reaction score
Maybe 20+ years ago, one of Joe Morello's pads showed up on eBay, along with some photos of him using it. It was the wooden Ludwig type with the square pad (not the round one) and it was very well used, as one would expect. IIRC the seller pulled it from auction but I did save some photos of it, and if I can find them I'll post them.

bethness

Reaction score
Someone in Seattle was selling a practice pad that was homemade by Elvin Jones, with documentation included. He got something like $350 for it. A large hunk of rough-hewn wood with a rubber pad glued on top.
Daaaaaang.
..::shakes head::..