My 'Playing'...improv

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Trying to get up the nerve to "man up" and put some of my playing up for you guys. One of my favorite things to do is take a drumless tune, in this case "Little Wheel" by Buffy St. Marie (apologies to BennyK lol), and put a drum part over it. I think of it as having a conversation with the artist-reacting to the words and the vibe of the tune. I intentionally bathed this in reverb ala "The Boxer" to get a 60s kind of feel. Recording was done using a Zoom H6 and playing around in Audacity. No, I am not a recording engineer. (Yea, that was a joke).

Curious what your thoughts are...and if you think this even gets "close" to being a viable drum part....

Little Wheel...by Buffy St. Marie released 1966:

https://soundcloud.com/user-404965202-934619345%2Fwheelup2

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice 60's/early 70's vibe.
The bells on your cymbals are really cutting, and versatile. It's not easy to get music to transcend, and you did a very nice job. Very original

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also hear ya on the "man up" statement.
I have show footage, where I'm comfortable, but this is different. I'm allowing the net into my Sh$# hole of a basement, and I don't really know what I'm doing. I can come up with all kinds of excuses, but I feel naked.
I notice when I'm recording, I'm not owning the kit. I'm playing weak on my snare, no entertainment value etc.....
These recording, along with my foot beginning to work for me can only help. Hopefully I'll eventually get some subscribers on YouTube, and I'm sure I'll be criticized. I'm curious to how I'll react.
I am happy with the development of my sound. This kit sounds far better than my practice kit.
Let's keep it going. It will only help