My Power Prog trio from 1979

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
You might want to see if you can run this through a DAW and play with the mix it a bit so it's less harsh on the ears. Maybe roll back some of the highs and lower mids?

chrisr777

Reaction score
You might want to see if you can run this through a DAW and play with the mix it a bit so it's less harsh on the ears. Maybe roll back some of the highs and lower mids?
I'm trying to get ahold of the tape to do a better rip to start with.

Thosmosis

Reaction score
That’s the problem with melding technology and real music. I actually love how this sounds like a “real“ band! Not a desktop computer facsimile. Don’t believe the hype Chrisr777, it is great the way it is. What a rocking sound! Homogeneity is not always the way to go with rock and roll!

Thosmosis

Reaction score
I have been messing with tunes that have had the drums removed, and just playing along to them, recording with Audacity with no DAW post production. Just get your mics set the way you like them and go for it. DAW is making everything sound pasteurized.

Ian S

Island Time
Reaction score
DAW is making everything sound pasteurized.

I'm a fan of raw, depending. For example I love the hardcore punk recordings from the early 80s. But I think with a decent DAW and a little effort, I think you could achieve a happy medium and decide how much of the raw harshness to filter out or leave in. Some amount of pasteurizing is helpful in some cases.

Anyhow, great stuff chrisr777, I dig it.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
That’s the problem with melding technology and real music. I actually love how this sounds like a “real“ band! Not a desktop computer facsimile. Don’t believe the hype Chrisr777, it is great the way it is. What a rocking sound! Homogeneity is not always the way to go with rock and roll!
It's not about homogeneity - it's about putting something out there that sounds good.

It's analogous to sweeping the floor and picking the empty beer cans and Boone's Farm bottles off the floor, window sills, and furniture before you have company over. You might not be looking to disinfect the place, but a bit of a walk through can be a good thing.

chrisr777

Reaction score
It's not about homogeneity - it's about putting something out there that sounds good.

It's analogous to sweeping the floor and picking the empty beer cans and Boone's Farm bottles off the floor, window sills, and furniture before you have company over. You might not be looking to disinfect the place, but a bit of a walk through can be a good thing.

The thing is, this is nothing I'm planning on putting out there. It's just a track from forty plus years ago that was discovered by our late bass player's little brother. And he has since gone himself, so getting the original tape is not going to happen. Stuff from my current band is a lot more professional.

Here's another one.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisr777%2Fturnstyle-1984-half-step-boogie
EDIT: BTW, we have no idea where the feedback in the beginning and end of the track came from. We didn't hear it live.

Last edited:

mebeatee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.
These recordings are what they are so get over it “sound quality meisterz”..... Where are your recordings?
How many “big name, big budget“ recordings are released commercially that are funky sonically, or the entire lofi movement for that matter....
How many of you would fawn over “newly found cassette rehearsal/demo tapes“ of....insert your fav band/drummer here....that are in a raw state condition....and proclaim them as historically significant in the development of your fav artists sound and should remain funky sounding.....
Yeeesh....tough crowd...
bt

Thosmosis

Reaction score

I get it. But it’s listening to a live band, vs listening to something that isn’t live. It’s really that simple. It’s like using photoshop with a picture. Sure, polish it up. But everyone knows.

I played in the 80’s live in Los Angeles for 10 years. We had a mixing board, maybe with reverb. Opened for Primus, Faith No More (Mark 1, with Mike Morris), Janes Addiction (when they just had their first album) Suicidal Tendencies, Black Flag, SWA, and many shows with the Minutemen when D Boon was around — Punchline EP Era. Epic!. And there was a rawness about that sound. Your instruments and playing had to sound good. You did it all at sound check... Sometimes your drum kit had one mic! And you made the best of it. The thing is — every drummer that night had one mic… There was no wizard making one drummer sound better than the other, rather than the pillow that he used in his kick drum.

If you do use DAW and eventually market a tune and have to play out, good luck. No one will see you twice. And that Laptop on stage playing things for you, isn’t called rock and roll. It’s called acting.

Last edited:

Thosmosis

Reaction score
I have been playing to drumless tracks recently, with everything done through an analog mixer, using Audacity to record from a Scarlet Solo Mono. Then, no post production. Except for trimming excess noise before the tune starts and exit fade. I could run all of this through DAW and impress everyone. Then put on a low cut bikini, and photoshop my face — but that wouldn’t be very rock and roll. And my wife would wonder why I am borrowing her bathing suit…

Ian S

Island Time
Reaction score
These recordings are what they are so get over it “sound quality meisterz”..... Where are your recordings?

This is pretty much a synopsis of this forum and the world today. Many well-intended criticisms are rejected as worthless, with no validity because they come sometimes from people who aren't industry pros.

All that's left is "good luck with your opinion", and "get over it.." even when no one was actually worried about it to begin with, just passing by and intend to make (possibly helpful) suggestions and share a thought or perspective.

Personally I could not care less what you or anyone does with their recording before sharing it with the public.

But once you do share it, then you put yourself in a position to hear what people think of it. So who must actually "get over it"?

Thosmosis

Reaction score
I think it’s all good, if it makes you feel good about your creation. And am all about people and musicians feeling good about their work.

That said. Someone just recording their band from way back when, with one mic in the room and sounding amazing. It’s hard to compare the two when someone could just do a total DAW of the same song with amazing results. A person hearing the two recordings, would say, wow. That DAW recording was great! And way above and beyond the original. But what does the band really sound like? Many can create a killer rock band with a laptop and great samples. But I am conflicted as well. I like the sound of some sample bands. Beck for instance. But I bet his production company is doing some magic behind the black curtains on stage, to make the live performance sound like the original recording... (and it takes hiring a huge crew to do this) And that is where the slippery slope starts. No one wants to know that a laptop is playing half of the music they are listening too on stage, as they see the musicians, and “this sound must be coming from them!” That is where the deception comes in. And makes the next on stage act hard to compete. Like Milli Vanilli! All over again. If you over dub my voice on stage and I mouth the acting sing along, I sound great!!

Eventually, we will all see these DAW all-stars as “home recording Officianados”. To actually play out and maintain that level of sound on stage, would take more than the price of a $1K computer. And unless you had a recording contract with distribution (and living stipend) set in place, it would be all out of pocket. Call your parents.

Last edited:

Ian S

Island Time
Reaction score
Absolutely. Though it has its uses, I'm not a huge fan of DAWs per se, especially heavy use where it changes the entire nature of the sound. Over-engineering is definitely an interloper in modern performance of music and by manufacturing "quality" synthetically, it's likely to take a lot away from the artistic value of the initial product.

Anyway, modern times. And each approach is valid. And as you said, all good as long as people are feeling good about their work.

Last edited:

Ian S

Island Time
Reaction score
Also, @chrisr777, my sentiments aren't a critique of your post, I liked your recording and I didn't mean to suggest you should necessarily do anything to it. After the initial banter I ventured off into philosophical la la land.. pay no attention to me. :)

Thosmosis

Reaction score
Also, @chrisr777, my sentiments aren't a critique of your post, I liked your recording and I didn't mean to suggest you should necessarily do anything to it. After the initial banter I ventured off into philosophical la la land.. pay no attention to me. :)
Thanks Chris. Any by the way, thank you to everyone here on this thread. I get on a soap box sometimes. And rant and rave. This is a great forum, and I don’t mean to degrade anyone’s opinion. DAW or otherwise. The fist ever band I had in High School, the guitarist now works with Machine Head and does car commercials. All Digital… Then the bassist in my band in the 80‘S now works with American Records, Rick Rubin and recordings of Johnny Cash, etc, before he passed away. So, I know that music has evolved. It’s the what I call the “Band in the Box” (TM) [LOL) process of creating a band and an amazing sound with sampling, that never will play out or produce live music, that gets under my skin. Playing with other musicians and keeping it together, takes a ton of work, that often someone with a laptop in bed at 12PM can make sound way better! But it’s all not true. Seeing a guy tour with a laptop on stage, is not so exciting. Sure, you add the smoke machine, and fake tattoos, and a long hair wig, and I could look for a bit… Lol

chrisr777

Reaction score
Technology isn't all bad. My son is in the L.A. Film School's Recording School. He works with DAWs quite a bit. He and I are also in a band together. He took me down to the school just last week to lay down a track for one of our new songs. This is a part of technology that I don't enjoy. I would much rather be recording the band live in the same room. But the way it is done these days is one instrument at a time. I also don't' get to play my own kit because we don't have time to mic up a twelve piece monster. I just add my double bass pedal and some of my cymbals. I feel a bit naked playing metal on a five piece.

ibhYJVe.jpg

GCzsRXY.jpg

Thosmosis

Reaction score
I bet those overhead condensers are $2K mics! Looks good! How did it come out? Yeah, the thing about DAW, no one really plays together, though I bet there is a “scratch track” drum and bass that is kept? Or, maybe you are playing along to headphones with a previously recorded version to get single tracks down so that you can DAW the heck out of them. Or, they could have just used DAW drum tracks, and had you stay at home! Good god…

Ian S

Island Time
Reaction score
I bet those overhead condensers are $2K mics! Looks good! How did it come out? Yeah, the thing about DAW, no one really plays together, though I bet there is a “scratch track” drum and bass that is kept? Or, maybe you are playing along to headphones with a previously recorded version to get single tracks down so that you can DAW the heck out of them. Or, they could have just used DAW drum tracks, and had you stay at home! Good god…

Yeah, it really is a shame what recording has become these days, all separated into little plexiglass cubicles. Sure it makes for a clean track, but the intimacy is gone and some of the electrical charge is lost when musicians can't interact up close with each other.

He took me down to the school just last week to lay down a track for one of our new songs.

It would be cool to hear what you're doing currently, if you felt like sharing a tune with us. Beautiful Tour Maples too, those must be a pleasure to play..