My quiet practice kit (wrk in progress)

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So, in light of having to stay more or less at home, I wnetthrough with a plan I had for a wheil: to get a drumkit that desn't disturb my neighbours. It should feel realistic, and have some sort of authentic sound to it (to me this means non-electonic, non-mesh heads)
1) A set of Zildjian L80 cymbals : got them today, the 18" and 16" sound good together, hi-hats are a bit louder, especially the foot chick. Maybe I'll put some paper/cloth in-between. The crash has some very high overtones, it just occurred to me I could try some tape on it, just like on a rgeular cymbal!

2) Snare: Sabian Quiettone pad on top of a regular snare: real fun to play with real snares on, or with brushes.

3) bass drum pad from "Fame" (house brand of German musicstore): I might have to put some padding underneath the pedals, hi-hat as well, to keep it real quiet, but on the other hand, I like how it has a little bit of tone to it.

4)Toms: two different pads on stands I already have: to be honest, they don't sound like toms, but the sounds are different from each other, so I'll know what I'm hitting.

I'm so looking forward to just getting up and be able to sit at a drumset. Might do soem audio, or even video, recording at some point.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just some suggestions (I have done this to my Pearl Roadshow kit)

If you have the scratch, get DrumTec 3 ply Real Feel heads for the snare, rack tom and floor tom. The feel and rebound is as close to a real head as you will get with very low volume. I dont even turn the snare wires on anymore. I started with Remo Silent Stroke heads. I love Remo heads, theyre on all my drum kits, but Silent Stroke heads dont even come close to the DrumTec Real Feel heads. That difference is reflected in the price point. Real Feel heads are double the price. It was worth it to me, as I play my practice kit more than all my live drum kits combined.

If you have a 22" BD dont waste money on a mesh head. You will never replicate the pedal feel as well as the stick feel on the snare and toms. Instead try real thick batter like a Superkick 2 and fill the shell completely with pillows. Push the reso side of the BD against a wall (or in my case, an antique sea chest) and put a bunch of 4x4 foam squares between the drum and the wall. Lastly put a fuzzy ball beater on the pedal. You will have a totally dead drum with a 1/2 to 2/3 volume cut and more importantly, it will feel real on the pedal and a you get a quiet 'thump'.

If you didnt already, buy the 20" LV80 ride and put the 18 on the left for a 2nd ride/crash and put the 16 on the right for a crash. I wish I had another 18, I really an not liking 16" crash cymbals, low volume or otherwise. I might get the LV80 China.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm also using the Zildjian low volume cymbals. I went with Aquarian super Pads on the drums. The feel is more realistic than mesh heads, and they lift right off when you want to play at full volume. They are not inexpensive, but I think that they are well worth it.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.
I think I'm fine with the 18/16 combo for practising. Maybe...if I practise a lot, larger cymbal might feel odd later, but I doubt it. I can still play my real cymbals now and then. Cymbal playing isn't the problem volume-wise, since there are no lows to transfer through walls. That's the problem in my case, so I probably won't set up a real bass drum.

I'll have to deal with the vibration from the pedals, even the hh seems to produce some low-end thud. I'll try some thick carpet first, beofre I get a washing-machine mat or the like.

Latest posts