My second cover! 1 month of drum progress

Cath962

Reaction score
Hi everyone !

It's been 1 month since I started to play drums and I just did another video.
I was inspired by the cover of this song by MightyMouseDex on Youtube.

Since the last video, I have watch some courses on drumeo. I finished the level 1.
I think I did some progress, but I'm still not satisfied with my grab on the sticks. When I'm focussing on doing it the right way, I sometimes lose control on the sticks and they can fell off my hands .. Do you think I could be better with thinner sticks?
I am playing with the original sticks that went with my drum set.

Thank you in advance for your advice! :)

P.S. : Sorry for my english, this is not my first language...

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Loose grip is a good thing and I have the same issue. I've tried thinner and thicker sticks. I'd say 5A sticks have a slight edge for keeping them in my hands but the finish on the sticks has a bigger impact. I think it's mainly a product of practice and a slight tightening of your grip at the fulcrum. I like Vic Firth American Classic 5A for grip and size if that helps. I'd have some 5A and 5B sticks on hand and go back and forth to test

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Ps. Good work after only 1-2 months! Keep practicing and I think your grip will improve

Tolee66

Reaction score
Hi everyone !

It's been 1 month since I started to play drums and I just did another video.
I was inspired by the cover of this song by MightyMouseDex on Youtube.

Since the last video, I have watch some courses on drumeo. I finished the level 1.
I think I did some progress, but I'm still not satisfied with my grab on the sticks. When I'm focussing on doing it the right way, I sometimes lose control on the sticks and they can fell off my hands .. Do you think I could be better with thinner sticks?
I am playing with the original sticks that went with my drum set.

Thank you in advance for your advice! :)

P.S. : Sorry for my english, this is not my first language...
Keep pushing through, as far as sticks go, most veterans will tell you that we are always striving to be relaxed behind the kit. The more relaxed you are, the more fluid the movements. Having a stick come loose isnot a bad thing if it’s not because you are loosing grip from swinging too hard. I think the Drumeo route is a fantastic way who about it. Wish it was available when I was coming up through the ranks, but that was back before even cable tv, and microwaves, let alone internet