My Tama Resto-mod

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I purchased a 1975 14x24 Tama Imperialstar bass drum shell. The seller was awesome and threw in 2 rack toms too (9×13 and 10x14) and these were also 75 Tama Imps. I have always wanted to assemble a unique kit so at $38 for the 3 shells I figured this was a good way to do it. I then purchased a 84 Royalstar 16x16 Floor tom for $60 and stripped it down to just a shell.
20190305_124410.jpg

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Next I decided that this is going to be a costume of sorts for the band I'm currently in which is a pschobilly/horrorpunk project (think Reverand Horton Heat meets the Misfits). I looked for a wrap that felt right and I went with Toxic Emerald Green from Walopus. It has the look I want but now the chrome hardware I have for the drums won't look right. I decided to go black hardware but I still wanted it to be the vibtage hardware so I talked to an autobody friend of mine about how to paint the hardware. Initially I was going to powder coat but he said it might be too thick and that paint will hold up if prepped right and done right. So I ground the chrome hardware down with the sanding wheel on my dremmel tool so that the paint will stick. And then packed the threads with paper towel to keep the paint out of the threads.

Attachments

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After that, I used a self emulsifing primer to base coat the hardeware and then two coats of black and two coats of clear enamel. The trick I was told is to let the paint dry a long time in between coats and that this guarantees a better adhesion. Next up is the wrapping! I used the hi-bond tape method but in my own diy way I also used a spray tac adhesive so my wrap method was kind of a hybrid tape/adhesive. This way I got a total shell adhesion that I could still mess with while I was wrapping in case I screwed up, this is my first time after all. Haha. The last pic is what I have so far. I will update the thread as I finish the bass drum and put heads and rims and hoops on the kit.

Attachments

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah, it is definitely a project. The sanding is the most tedious part but with some music in the back ground it goes by at a decent pace.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
She's finished! I had to wait for the Bass drum claws to come in. I was going to grind the vintage ones and paint them too but then I decided to just get black ones and save some effort. Wasn't terribly expensive either. It's amazing how much more the kick drum weighs with all the hardware on it! I put all new heads on and Tuned it up for practice and got nothing but rave reviews from the band on the sound so that's a relief. Anyway, here are the finished product pics! Thanks to all the DFOers who offered advise and pointed me in the right direction and to all the posts on wrapping and builds.
20190801_183807.jpg

Attachments

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Very cool. Now pick up some black FT legs (I bought a set at last year's Hollywood Drum Show for my project), and get some black tension rods. Small details, but they can make a difference!

Attachments

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That kit is is cool! Will do on the floor toms and tension rods. I didn’t know there were black tension rods!

Ghostin one

Reaction score
Great job!
What were the bass drum hoops originally? Did they have a wrap inlay, or ?

These are older than the Impstars I'm familiar with (metal hoops)

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great job!
What were the bass drum hoops originally? Did they have a wrap inlay, or ?

These are older than the Impstars I'm familiar with (metal hoops)
I ordered the bd hoops seperately (they are metal) and then used left over from the bass drum wrap to do the inlay. The shells I bought were completely stripped with the exception of the floor tom which I took the wrap off of and rewrapped with the green. But, yeah I either bought used hardware or cannabalized drums from my 83 imperialstars. The drums are '75ish imps (rack tom, and bass drum, they have the re rings) and an 82 Royalstar floortom (no re ring).

Latest posts