My Tama Resto-mod

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Joined
May 23, 2008
Messages
2,033
Reaction score
346
Location
Philadelphia
A couple of months ago I purchased a 1975 14x24 Tama Imperialstar bass drum shell. The seller was awesome and threw in 2 rack toms too (9×13 and 10x14) and these were also 75 Tama Imps. I have always wanted to assemble a unique kit so at $38 for the 3 shells I figured this was a good way to do it. I then purchased a 84 Royalstar 16x16 Floor tom for $60 and stripped it down to just a shell.
20190305_124410.jpg
 

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Joined
May 23, 2008
Messages
2,033
Reaction score
346
Location
Philadelphia
Next I decided that this is going to be a costume of sorts for the band I'm currently in which is a pschobilly/horrorpunk project (think Reverand Horton Heat meets the Misfits). I looked for a wrap that felt right and I went with Toxic Emerald Green from Walopus. It has the look I want but now the chrome hardware I have for the drums won't look right. I decided to go black hardware but I still wanted it to be the vibtage hardware so I talked to an autobody friend of mine about how to paint the hardware. Initially I was going to powder coat but he said it might be too thick and that paint will hold up if prepped right and done right. So I ground the chrome hardware down with the sanding wheel on my dremmel tool so that the paint will stick. And then packed the threads with paper towel to keep the paint out of the threads.
 

Attachments

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Joined
May 23, 2008
Messages
2,033
Reaction score
346
Location
Philadelphia
After that, I used a self emulsifing primer to base coat the hardeware and then two coats of black and two coats of clear enamel. The trick I was told is to let the paint dry a long time in between coats and that this guarantees a better adhesion. Next up is the wrapping! I used the hi-bond tape method but in my own diy way I also used a spray tac adhesive so my wrap method was kind of a hybrid tape/adhesive. This way I got a total shell adhesion that I could still mess with while I was wrapping in case I screwed up, this is my first time after all. Haha. The last pic is what I have so far. I will update the thread as I finish the bass drum and put heads and rims and hoops on the kit.
 

Attachments

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Joined
May 23, 2008
Messages
2,033
Reaction score
346
Location
Philadelphia
Thanks! Yeah, it is definitely a project. The sanding is the most tedious part but with some music in the back ground it goes by at a decent pace.
 


Top