My Tempus gamble

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought some Tempus drums on Reverb. They are inbound. I'm putting down my marker on why I think these will be in good condition. I'll post pictures when they get here and either gloat over my cleverness or hang my head in shame over my stupidity. I've read almost every word about Tempus that I could google. I have been influenced by the opinions of Tempus owners here as to their wonderful sound qualities as well as the admonitions from the disappointed about poor customer service, fit and finish.

wygzrm5g2i67vtqexjv3.jpg

1) Owned by Gordy Knutson who stated that Paul Mason personally delivered his first Tempus drums and set them up at a recording studio. Knutson was well known as the drummer for Steve Miller. I have seen much testimony that famous drummers received the cream of the QC crop. These may not have been in that first batch.
2) The best photos show no sign of any wear, but I have often been fooled by ebay photos.
3) More importantly the original cases show no signs of wear which gives credence to the claim that these were only used in recording studios.

I think I've placed a good bet, but anxiously await certainty. Aside from the hope of excellent physical condition I favored virgin shells, RIMS, Yamaha hardware and gelcoat over fiberglass rather than wrap. The seller knocked off $300 for taking the wood bass drum out of the sale. I also
ia8faz4iaapswwx2usrh.jpg
became enamored with the snare drum, a Pearl Custom Classic with one ply maple shell.
ia8faz4iaapswwx2usrh.jpg

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
You will like them...I loved mine. It was a big kit so I eventually downsized and sold them to fund a vintage kit...had them for 10 years of gigging and they still looked as new as the day I got them..nobody ever complained about the sound..it was the QC and the service that got him in the end...from what I have read..I never experienced any of that, though....Things got pretty ugly so I think a lot of guys dumped them or are sitting on them not admitting they own a kit..lol

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved mine as well. I had a carbon fiber kit (actually two). They were great kits. I know a guy on here had issues with them and was quite vocal about it. I never, ever experienced that.

peacock 011.jpg
whitetempusbocce008.jpg
elbalazo051807 008.jpg
ledson061607 006.jpg

Last edited:

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I NEVER EVER had a problem with Paul or his drums and I owned several sets, only because my tastes in sizes changed over the years. I bought two new complete sets from him and also picked up several used ones and there was never any problem with any of them, plus Paul was great to deal with. When I had to go to the Seattle area, I contacted him and stopped over to see him and his stacks 'o shells. My favorite drum set of all time was a used, beat-up, scratched Tempus f/g kit, 16x20,8x10,8x12,10x14 (which I later sold to finance a 12x14 floor tom). That thing could do anything I wanted a drum set to do - any kind of heads, any type of tuning - it was always perfect. The only reason I sold it was it was surprisingly heavy and I wanted to go as light as possible. I still have a 6x14 fg/cf snare drum, a Pearl free floating piccolo with a Tempus fg shell, and two orphans, a 15x22 bass drum and a 13x16 floor tom in an experimental gray-to-white fade.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In other words you have bought the 4 Tempus toms? Cool....what bd will you be using with them or they could be stand alone as part of a perc set up.
I have no idea of what was happening with Tempus from the (newer) era folks speak of. I only know of the original Vancouver bunch as I almost lived at Drums Only back in the daze....and never kept track after moving out of the city.
I have a white 6x13 Tempus snare just after the Milestone/Tempus switch and have had Milestone stuff before that. Back then it was a bonus to know visit the folks who made the drums and hardware (turned into Collarlock) George Ayotte made some interesting snares which I originally had on a 7x14 Milestone, then put them...snare's...on the Tempus.
There are a couple of same era Tempus kits (along with an Ayotte kit) owned by a nice tracking studio locally and all are wonderful drums. I'm sure yours will be quite fantastic....as they really are.
The...my...drum in question ironically lives in the city...as it along with cymbals et al, are used for touring as I use back line kits....well used to...
Here's a couple of pix...one a small hall bday party, and the other where the drumset of the day matched the Tempus perfectly....go figure...
bt

Attachments

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
mebetee, I planned to use these with a Yamaha 5000 16x18 BD that I love but as chance would have it there are two Tempus BDs I am also currently pursuing.

stevil

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I ran across this listing before and was *this* close to pulling the trigger. I know they're not exactly the same, but I play a fiberglass Jenkins Martin kit and I LOVE it. There's just something about them. Sound guys and bandmates notice how great they sound, and they're better at fighting GAS than Mylanta.

I can't wait to hear how your gamble plays out. I bet it's a winner.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think I ran across this listing before and was *this* close to pulling the trigger. I know they're not exactly the same, but I play a fiberglass Jenkins Martin kit and I LOVE it. There's just something about them. Sound guys and bandmates notice how great they sound, and they're better at fighting GAS than Mylanta.

I can't wait to hear how your gamble plays out. I bet it's a winner.
Seller recently dropped the price $550 down to $1575. I asked if he would sell without the wood bass drum and he said yes and dropped it to $1275. I asked if he would throw in the Yamaha tom stand hardware and he agreed, even threw in the BD case.

The Pearl Custom Classic was made 30 years ago, has a single ply shell that is 3/10" thick with no reinforcing ring. I will put it up against my '53 Radio King and sell the one that comes in second. I figure the Pearl SD is worth about $400 and that really made the purchase an easy decision.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Congratulations. I think you made a wise choice. They sound great, they're light, record well and are environmentally impervious. If you need to go to 11 they can do that - and if you need them to whisper they can do that too.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congratulations. I think you made a wise choice. They sound great, they're light, record well and are environmentally impervious. If you need to go to 11 they can do that - and if you need them to whisper they can do that too.
I specifically bought them to whisper but they will have occasion to shout as well.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've used them in both environments. You'll be fine.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s not my second favorite snare I have, but it’s solid and different than my main snare which is probably why I use it like I do. It’s a Tempus shell and GMS parts.

1601B8FE-D327-465B-927E-C3A29A0E5212.jpeg
61E4502C-C8A2-4E85-8811-531A80B90E9D.jpeg

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I hope your gamble pays off. I think it will and your reasoning seems solid to me. I’ve only had my hands on one Tempus drum myself.

I think there was a time period where the interest in custom drums, the emergence of the internet as a direct connection between buyers and sellers and the proliferation of online forums came together and created a perfect storm for some semi-professionals to get in over their head and/or rip people off. If that’s what happened at Tempus, he wouldn’t be the only one.

ian.thomas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can you explain with what’s going on here? It looks like you have your own badge with your name looking like it’s a DW style and it makes sense as the lugs look the same as their mini’s.
it's a Tempus fiberglass shell with DW mini lugs. Paul made that color special for me, I got the lugs off of ebay, and made my own badge.

I heard John Good saw a pic of my badge when it was in process and gave his 'unofficial' approval.

I love this drum - it sounds great, sensitive, loud, and fun to play.