My Tempus gamble

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I went ahead and bought this bass drum to go with the toms. They make touch up gelcoat for fiberglass boats. I'll give it a try.

Does anyone know how Tempus II compares to Tempus? This has Pearl type lugs which I'll clean up and paint black.

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not familiar with Tempus II, unless that's what Bill Hibbs called it after he bought the name and gear from Paul.

bernard

Reaction score
mebetee, I planned to use these with a Yamaha 5000 16x18 BD that I love but as chance would have it there are two Tempus BDs I am also currently pursuing.
Sorry to digress, but an 18" Yamaha 5000 BD? I have never seen this series in any other than 22", but expect there might be some 20" out there. What does your look like?
Underrated drums, great quality (but made out of a mixed bag of wood depending on year...).

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry to digress, but an 18" Yamaha 5000 BD? I have never seen this series in any other than 22", but expect there might be some 20" out there. What does your look like?
Underrated drums, great quality (but made out of a mixed bag of wood depending on year...).
It is a converted floor tom. the inner ply is beech. As a floor tom it sounded like a great bass drum so I put it aside when I sold the rest of the drum set(which had two 22" bass drums). The 5000 series had very good shells but lousy hardware.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The seller told me he bought these drums at a recording studio auction. He score big time. Bought all this for $451 in 2019. Found a photo from the auction online:

8706629.jpg

kallen49

Reaction score
I live near Toronto. There are usually 1 or 2 Milestone, (or Tempus), kits for sale on the Kijiji web site (an on line classified, like craigslist, owned by ebay that for some reason never was popular in the USA).
The five brown drums for $750 CAN is very tempting. (Don’t need more drums and if I was serious I’d buy Atomic’s orange kit currently for sale on drumforum).
BTW I think one US$ costs 1.25 $CAN this week.

I owned a 1987 Milestone kit, sounded great and were impervious to weather which is desirable in Canada (or Minnesota?)
Sold them because of 24” bass but should have just bought a 20” bass drum, live & learn,

Last edited:

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The week before a trip to Vancouver or Victoria I'm busy on Craigslist setting up buys to take advantage of the exchange rate. I'll try to remember to check Kijiji next time.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A lot of those drums were from the power tom era....
The two bigger toms are DW standard sizes, the two smaller are power size. Even in a traditional size kit most manufacturers seem to make the 8" and 10" a little longer. I have seen Tempus kits in square power sizes, 16" floor toms that are 18" deep.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
The two bigger toms are DW standard sizes, the two smaller are power size. Even in a traditional size kit most manufacturers seem to make the 8" and 10" a little longer. I have seen Tempus kits in square power sizes, 16" floor toms that are 18" deep.
I had square size toms, too..16,18...I had a Pearl Jungle conversion kit on the 18 and could mix and match drums to make up a few different configurations with a 22,14,12,16 and 18

Last edited:

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Received today. The cases, contrary to the impression from the photos, are quite scratched up. "OH no" I thought as I started pulling out the drums. Every visual shell surface mar wiped away with a damp cloth... the shells are PERFECT.

Ok, after another look I found some scratches under the RIMS plates and the 8" had a half dozen nicks on the lugs.

Last edited:

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hold the fort. Inside the shells are black. These are carbon fiber, not fiberglass; at least the photos I've seen of the inside of Tempus fiberglass shells are not black, more golden tan something.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hold the fort. Inside the shells are black. These are carbon fiber, not fiberglass; at least the photos I've seen of the inside of Tempus fiberglass shells are not black, more golden tan something.
Paul also did some fiberglass with black interiors.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks, hadn't come across that so fiberglass it is. According to Paul these were made '87 or '88.

They are light and have thinner shells compared to every other drum I've had.