mysterious bass drum...

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, I know there is not much room left in that hall way. I remember seeing mufflers like that in pictures. In fact I almost purchased one in a Pawn Shop many years ago; wished I had, then it would be hanging on my wall now. I have no clue of the brand.

sherm

S

skinsman

That looks like a Ludwig drum. Those are Zephyr lugs which puts it in the forties I think. T 's look right, but the post is an Ace hardware plumbing fixture and I don't know about that wrap.
Looking closer.....I'm not so sure, those lugs are close but not so sure now,t's are rounded too....now I'm thinking stencil.
Just not sure...coin toss.

Sorry about the previous grammar.
I use the dictation mic a lot and it auto corrects me in all kinds of strange ways!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Skinsman, your second guess is correct - a quick look would say WFL zephyr, but they are not zephyr lugs. I really don't know what it is. English? 'Cause that hallway looks much too narrow to be an American house.

That looks like a Ludwig drum. Those are Zephyr lugs which puts it in the forties I think. Th are fight, but the post is an Ace hardware plumbing fixture and I don't know about that wrap.
Looking closer.....I'm not so sure, those lugs are close but not so sure now to are rounded to.....now I'm thinking stencil.
Just not sure...coin toss.

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The T rods...that arc...that might be a clue...doesn't help me though

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
These were posted on vintage drum forum too. Over there they have another picture of a matching tom. The tom has Rocket lugs on it although doesn't appear to be Gretsch. My initial thought was MIJ but the Rocket lugs make me think there might be a small possibility they are W&A or some other smaller American make.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Let's see the inside of the shell and bearing edge. There's a lot to learn from those.

I have a 12" tom with a Ludwig decal on the shell and an uncatalogued Zephyr variant that's extremely different from the normal Zephyrs: it's moulded in a fundamentally different way. It wasn't like they were creating castings for these lugs, and I imagine there was also so degree of nervousness about their durability and aesthetics, so I assume there was a bit of experimentation going on.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are some heavy die-cast claws so probably not MIJ. My gut says British, French, Italian....