Mystery of the "Lost" Rush Drummer -- Who Is Erwig Chuapchuaduah?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
A post on the 40th anniversary of Rush's "Permanent Waves" sent me to Wikipedia where I found
Erwig Chuapchuaduah credited with steel drums on "Spirit of Radio."

I then listened to "Spirit of Radio" and heard no steel drums.

Diving deeper, I searched for
Erwig Chuapchuaduah. Google knows nothing. Discogs has only one credit for
Erwig Chuapchuaduah -- and it's "Spirit of Radio."

So, there was a steel drummer living somewhere out in the wilds of Canada who was good enough that Neil Peart sought him out and got him to play on "Spirit" -- so quietly as to be inaudible.

In the 40 years that followed, no Canadian with a need for steel drums on a recording contacted Cuapchuaduah, the man with the single-greatest steel drum credit, possibly ever (though it can't be heard on the actual record).

Call me cynical, but I'm afraid I've leaped to the conclusion that
Chuapchuaduah isn't even a real person. Instead, Peart credited a fictious person as some sort of cosmic joke (not a funny oney, BTW) that us scratching our heads even after he passed to the next realm (Rock in Peace, NP).

Anybody else know more about this.

Erwig is mentioned in this article: https://www.culturesonar.com/neil-peart-rush-and-permanent-waves/

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Kinda like W.C. Fields opening multiple bank accounts with ridiculous names that nobody can find today.

Dan

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll bet a case of Charmin that this is indeed, some inside joke within the band. There are thousands of examples of these shenanigans in Neil's books.