Mystery PEARL Snare?

merseymale

Reaction score
Hi!

I got a snare in Michigan.
The snare (& Michigan!!) is quite a state!

I’ve oiled & cleaned it; added Lug Gaskets & switched round the internal muffler (which is my long time favourite modification BTW) but nothing more...

It seems to never have had a badge but, as I say, it WAS neglected!

I can’t seem to upload photos, here but the throwoff is quite Gretch looking with a large knurled screw which Looks like the muffler control too

It has a tiny Script Pearl logo on the snare itself and the interior has a few wild discolourations, that look Original, to the plating. Most obvious are the milled lines
between two grooves All along the Center exterior

Hope this description is recognised someone&/or you can possibly still
view it here:

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's a vintage MIJ (Made in Japan) snare. Most likely COS (do a magnet test). Those 'stencils' drums were designed to look exactly like a lot of MIA (Made in America) brands. There were many stencil brands. I've had a few like yours, can get them quite cheap.

merseymale

Reaction score
That's a vintage MIJ (Made in Japan) snare. Most likely COS (do a magnet test). Those 'stencils' drums were designed to look exactly like a lot of MIA (Made in America) brands. There were many stencil brands. I've had a few like yours, can get them quite cheap.
thanks for your reply

so are you saying that it’s NOT made by Pearl? Or isit, perhaps, a ‘Stencil Drum’ made by Pearl? Do anonymous drum companies not put any Logo on their stuff?

The magnet DOES stick to the shell BUT it does seem somewhat weak and the drum seems surprisingly heavyweight to me

merseymale

Reaction score
(BTW what do you think of such drums? How do they compare to modern snares?)

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
thanks for your reply

so are you saying that it’s NOT made by Pearl? Or isit, perhaps, a ‘Stencil Drum’ made by Pearl? Do anonymous drum companies not put any Logo on their stuff?

The magnet DOES stick to the shell BUT it does seem somewhat weak and the drum seems surprisingly heavyweight to me
Pearl made, but there many of these with different badges. It's common for the badge to be missing on old stencil drums.

It's COS, imo. And yes, the COS ones are heavy (I've owned a few).

Latest posts