Mystery Sabian Ride

larold

Reaction score
Here’s a 24” Sabian ride that’s unlike any other Sabian I’ve seen before, so I assume it’s a prototype. I wonder if anyone here could give me more information about it.

Aside from the Sabian logo, there’s no ink. It weighs 3099 grams. Umbrella profile like a Mehmet Nostalgia 50s ride. Extensively over-hammered with two different hammers - many smaller hammer marks (1/4” round) and fewer large hammer marks (1/2” x 3/8” oval). Even the top and bottom of the bell are over-hammered, something I’ve only seen on some Grandmaster cymbals. Definitely a jazz ride.

Any ideas what this is?

Attachments

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
It is hard to be sure from your small photos, but it looks like the overhammering is also done after the Sabian ink logo was put on. That makes me think post production modification. That could be some independent cymbalsmith doing a modification, or it could be somebody sent the cymbal to Sabian and asked them to modify it. That's a service they used to be more involved in, but according the reports earlier this year they aren't doing that service any more.

The larger slightly oval hammer marks I recognize from other cymbals in the HHX series.

larold

Reaction score
I found an old listing for it on Reverb that lists it as an HH/HHX Custom Light Ride, so that's what I'll go with.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Thanks for the bigger image. Yes it looks like the ink logo went on after.

That cymbal looks like it has a bad case of measles, which is a hot topic here since we're having an outbreak at the moment. Not me personally, I had measles as a kid before the vaccine. Hopefully the lifelong immunity I'm supposed to have will see me right. :icon_e_wink:

Latest posts