header.nohb.html

Mystery Tool - Rhythm Traders Yamaha Factory Tour

Reaction score
Hi All,

I stumbled upon a feature by Rhythm Traders of Yamaha Japan's Music Craft drum factory (https://blog.rhythmtraders.com/2018...-trip-to-japan-2018-yamaha-drum-factory-tour/), and they took a photo of this "tool":

DSC09902-1000x667.jpg

Any ideas what it's used for?

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
It appears to be the numbers 14-13-12 stamped on each level from outside to in. I found a picture on that site where they have one of the hoops on back wall in picture you posted around a almost finished drum. I don’t know!. : ) Interesting.

Attachments

• 5C8D9277-2CB8-4437-9293-A38344672E6D.jpeg
    5C8D9277-2CB8-4437-9293-A38344672E6D.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 49

Reaction score
Yep, I'm stumped. I saw that timber tool/jig months ago, and I still can't guess what it's used for.

In regards to those aluminium hoops with the markings on them, I'm almost certain they're used to position the drilling in relation to the outer ply seam. If you look at where the seam runs on the bass drum below, it runs perfectly between two opposing lugs:

DSC09898-768x512.jpg

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
I think it's for holding shells that have a cutaway on the bottom, a la marching timp-toms. A cut shell could be placed on this buck to hold it while cutting the bearing edge. (Genius, eh?)

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's for holding shells that have a cutaway on the bottom, a la marching timp-toms. A cut shell could be placed on this buck to hold it while cutting the bearing edge. (Genius, eh?)

I like this idea. The angles and sizes make sense.

HOWEVER
Usually cutting the bearing edges is done on a router table with the bearing edges facing down and the angled edge up. Needing something like this just to cut the bearing edges wouldn't be needed as a normal flat side would already be against the cutting edge.

I DO like the marching Tenor approach for this idea. I think you're on to something.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might hold the marching tenors for drilling.

Edit: It could be for the bearing edges as well. Looks like they don't use a router table to cut the edges.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

If those bottom 'rings' were free to spin independently but It looks like they are each affixed to each other..

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Its most likely a jig for marching drum shells, I got back:

qd-8313_a_0002_4096x1883_53fc7319c58e95ebcf4edce6e2aec517.jpg

Reaction score
Gold star for you.

Its most likely a jig for marching drum shells, I got back:

qd-8313_a_0002_4096x1883_53fc7319c58e95ebcf4edce6e2aec517.jpg

Thanks.

But just exactly what the jig is used for remains a mystery...

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I think it is for marching toms. The bearing edge is probably cut before the cutaway on the bottom. The jig is used to make it easier to put on the tension casings and head.

Reaction score
Wouldn't the slotted column be in the way if it were to be used to hold the drum to fit the lugs? I'd think it would be easier to fit the lugs with the batter edge face down, as there would be nothing obstructing access inside the shell.

Also, the slotted column looks like it would stick out past shell, which would make it impossible to fit the head.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Wouldn't the slotted column be in the way if it were to be used to hold the drum to fit the lugs? I'd think it would be easier to fit the lugs with the batter edge face down, as there would be nothing obstructing access inside the shell.

Also, the slotted column looks like it would stick out past shell, which would make it impossible to fit the head.
You could be right. Then what IS the slotted column for?

cworrick

Reaction score
I just tried Google Lens and Google image search.

Nada.

I checked out the linked story to see if it shedded any light. Nada. It's at the factory that produces the PHX drumset line. No marching tenors in the background of any of the photos.

With all the drum industry people on here, I'm really surprised we haven't gotten a definitive answer yet.

WE have an inside guy at Yamaha. I'll put a bug in @drumnhands ear to see if he can shed any light on it.

The mystery continues.

Last edited:

cworrick

Reaction score
I just heard from drumnhands.

We were right about the tenors, but not the bearing edges.

It is made to hold the drum while the reinforcing rings are installed.