N&C SS Madagascar Rosewood

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Quick back story for anyone interested;

About six months ago I was on the hunt for a Vintage Tama Mastercraft in Rosewood and just got shut down.

A while earlier I had met Nick Jones at the Noble & Cooley booth at the CT. Drum Show and he left me with a great impression of both him and the company.

So, I thought to myself: I wonder if N&C ever did a SS Madagascar Rosewood snare?

I sent in a request form on their website message system and Nick got right back to me to say that they do all of their snares out of New England timber and usually green, not kiln dried but if I could source the board he would be happy to give it a go.

That started the search and I had no idea how challenging that would be. I came into contact with one fella in the industry who gave me just about every lead I could handle and even CC’d me some follow ups he did on his own but long story short after days of cold calling And countless emails I got shut down

At this point I was pretty much fed up And called this guy back to thank him for his help. We fell into talking about some other topic of common interest and just when we were wrapping it up he said; I’m going to give you one more guy to call, your gonna pay but he just might have what your looking for.

I called the number right away, this fella answered his own phone. I told him what I was after and 10 minutes later I had a text photo of the boards I needed.

The rest is history.

77A90984-7691-4FA9-8075-3D66C4787F78.jpeg

B3A28B41-7815-44B9-B701-5538004E1E3C.jpeg

5F71EB7F-AD19-41DE-A6E8-ACA1ED7B74E9.jpeg

DFD1B3CA-5961-4A55-B00A-68BC6D838AB0.jpeg

33003522-8ADE-4558-8159-A2A87BAE7151.jpeg

7F74D01B-AF00-4D46-98DA-313E49549F7D.jpeg

3FB4EED8-C711-4324-9221-6B65D3C43535.jpeg

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Badge placement is so weird it looks like they cut a floor Tom in half and made a snare out of it
There is always one in the crowd, most of the time that is me so I just take it on the chin.

I agree that the badge placement is original but I think, like their lug placement the vent hole placement is strategic.

J

jaymandude

very very VERY nice. What kind of sonic properties are we talking here ? Hardwood ? Punchy ?

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Holy crap. I'm headed out to N&C this Saturday to get my floor tom drilled for legs. I wish I was able to give it a look while I'm there, because that's insanely gorgeous. I'm sure it sounds outstanding!

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Beautiful drum!! N&C is simply the best. The badge placement is typical. Looks fantastic and I bet it sounds just as good as it looks.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
That's crazy beautiful - I'm telling you I look on Reverb and other sites daily at Noble and Cooley SS snares -
Walnut, Tulip and Cherry are on my radar, I just wish I could play one first - maybe a road trip is in order?

Barden

Reaction score
Quick back story for anyone interested;

About six months ago I was on the hunt for a Vintage Tama Mastercraft in Rosewood and just got shut down.

A while earlier I had met Nick Jones at the Noble & Cooley booth at the CT. Drum Show and he left me with a great impression of both him and the company.

So, I thought to myself: I wonder if N&C ever did a SS Madagascar Rosewood snare?

I sent in a request form on their website message system and Nick got right back to me to say that they do all of their snares out of New England timber and usually green, not kiln dried but if I could source the board he would be happy to give it a go.

That started the search and I had no idea how challenging that would be. I came into contact with one fella in the industry who gave me just about every lead I could handle and even CC’d me some follow ups he did on his own but long story short after days of cold calling And countless emails I got shut down

At this point I was pretty much fed up And called this guy back to thank him for his help. We fell into talking about some other topic of common interest and just when we were wrapping it up he said; I’m going to give you one more guy to call, your gonna pay but he just might have what your looking for.

I called the number right away, this fella answered his own phone. I told him what I was after and 10 minutes later I had a text photo of the boards I needed.

The rest is history.

View attachment 416198

View attachment 416199

View attachment 416200

View attachment 416201

View attachment 416202

View attachment 416203

View attachment 416204
Very nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

Now I see four drums worth of wood?

Two boards resawn into four pieces? But it also looks like you have rerings so maybe only three drums of wood.

That's a cool photo of the boards doweled to the plywood. It looks like they have a horizontal bandsaw for resawing and use a dedicated plywood backer for mounting. Cool.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

Now I see four drums worth of wood?

Two boards resawn into four pieces? But it also looks like you have rerings so maybe only three drums of wood.

That's a cool photo of the boards doweled to the plywood. It looks like they have a horizontal bandsaw for resawing and use a dedicated plywood backer for mounting. Cool.
You have a quick eye Barden. I was wondering if anyone was going to pick up on that.

Nick doesn’t let anything go to waste. He noticed that the board I secured was just thick enough to make two snares if it was precision ripped.

He sent it to a local sawyer and did just that. So yes, there are two SS Madagascar Rosewood snares in the world.

I gifted my customer rights of the second shell to Nick and N&C because it felt like the right thing to do. So some other drummer out there has the second snare but it’s not my place to say who.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
That it a stunningly beautiful drum.
I much prefer the chrome plated hardware to the raw (?) brass lugs I usually see on N&C drums. Never had the pleasure to play one but (being the cheapskate that I am :) ) N&C is the only boutique maker I´m really interested in. Congrats!

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
WOW!!! That's a beauty for sure... congrats on the new snare.
Let us know what your impressions are after a session or three plz.

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
You have a quick eye Barden. I was wondering if anyone was going to pick up on that.

Nick doesn’t let anything go to waste. He noticed that the board I secured was just thick enough to make two snares if it was precision ripped.

He sent it to a local sawyer and did just that. So yes, there are two SS Madagascar Rosewood snares in the world.

I gifted my customer rights of the second shell to Nick and N&C because it felt like the right thing to do. So some other drummer out there has the second snare but it’s not my place to say who.
Is it possible they haven't made that second snare yet?

Latest posts