N&C SS Madagascar Rosewood

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That turned out great! Can’t wait to hear your impressions.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Congratulations, Nacci. I absolutely love that drum and you did it the right way. Nick is a great guy, very enthusiastic about making killer drums and you couldn't have done it better. I am very excited and happy for you, brother. I just know that you are going to love it! Rob

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One snare drum I had was similar and they called those lug positions "nodal" points but I have only heard of those in optical scenarios .......
The node is the point at which it doesn’t resonate and therefore the optimal place for placing something that will interfere with the resonance.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just read this on instagram. SUPER cool. I bed that drum sounds amazing.

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That drum is just stunning and I’m generally not a fan of matte finishes, the grain is just beautiful. I have a Ludwig AVH snare made of Rosewood and it plays much more like a metal drum than wood, very responsive and sensitive.

Castnblast

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is always one in the crowd, most of the time that is me so I just take it on the chin.

I agree that the badge placement is original but I think, like their lug placement the vent hole placement is strategic.

Badge position is very cool. It makes a relationship to - and is grounded by the the single node contact point of the tube lug. Raise the badge and it would be weird imo

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
That's crazy beautiful - I'm telling you I look on Reverb and other sites daily at Noble and Cooley SS snares -
Walnut, Tulip and Cherry are on my radar, I just wish I could play one first - maybe a road trip is in order?
I can tell you one thing...with the SS drums, the deeper they get, the mellower they are.

Whitten

Reaction score
I know back in the day Bob Gatzen scientifically tested everything about his drum designs (in collaboration with N&C) which led to many interesting ideas that have been copied by other drum manufacturers since. I think that's where the nodal lug points, vent holes and badge placement originated. Nothing is arbitrary, everything is placed to benefit the final sound.
I REALLY like that N&C only really use New England timber. It's local to them and sustainable. I worry about exotic woods, there is so much politics and eco damage around woods from Africa and South America (in particular). Even if certified, you never really know the true history of the piece of wood.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow. That's beautiful. Is it 7x14?

Thanks for sharing your story in such detail. It's inspiring me to buy a N&C. Which is not good! Haha. I'm excited for a review when you get a chance to bang around on it.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow. That's beautiful. Is it 7x14?

Thanks for sharing your story in such detail. It's inspiring me to buy a N&C. Which is not good! Haha. I'm excited for a review when you get a chance to bang around on it.
Yes, 7”x14”. I have one in Maple also and am ordering one in Tulip. I’ll give a good review once I get them all together.