N(vintage)DD - Slingerland!

HowardW

Reaction score
And it's day 2 of New (vintage) Drum Days for me! (This is what happens when you browse Reverb on NYE after drinking champagne...)

The set is a mid/late 1960s Slingerland with additional drums:
  • Core set: 12/13/16/20. Niles brass badge. SNs place them in the late 1960s or 1970.
  • Additional 20" bass drum. Also Niles brass badge, similar SN. However this bass drum was never drilled for a tom or cymbal mount. Just the spurs.
  • Additional 14" and 15" toms. These have silver Niles badges, and SNs put them somewhere in the 1974-76 time frame.
So I'm thinking this might have been a 14N Duet outfit with extra drums ordered a few years later. The core set has the expected cracks in the Satin Flame wrap, but the 2nd bass and the additional toms have no cracks at all!

The extra 14" and 15" toms also have other interesting aspects: they still have the original warranty cards, and were still in the factory plastic. They were never drilled for the Setomatic mounting hardware, but the hardware came with the set. The hardware is still in shrink wrap, too.

Attachments

• IMG_1945.jpeg
    IMG_1945.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_1944.jpeg
    IMG_1944.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 224

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love that swirly finish, man! Slingerland made fantastic drums, and I'll never get why they're so underrated on today's vintage market. Guess that worked out for you, though.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
(new pic uploader really stinks-on lap or desk top) darn..

img_1944-jpeg.536614

img_1945-jpeg.536613

there : )

gawd the possibilities are endless with that.

Core set:
12/13/16/20.
Additional 20" bass drum.
Additional 14" and 15" toms.

HowardW

Reaction score
gawd the possibilities are endless with that.

Core set:
12/13/16/20.
Additional 20" bass drum.
Additional 14" and 15" toms.
I never play double bass, so I've been looking at it as two separate kits:
  • Rock kit: 13/16/20
  • Jazz(y) kit: 12/15/20
I'm not much of a fan of a 14" floor tom, but the 15" tom is big enough to be a shallow floor tom. Maybe using INDE mounts to add legs?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I see"...: )

16" bass drum...12/13/14..!!

(use tees and claws from one of the twentys /16" wood hoops....
See if they'd work (distance +/- (some makes distance too close/won't) but tha jus me lol

HowardW

Reaction score
16" bass drum...12/13/14..!!

(use tees and claws from one of the twentys /16" wood hoops....
See if they'd work (distance +/- (some makes distance too close/won't) but tha jus me lol
Tuning could be an issue with the sizes so close... in my experience, Slingerland drums like to be tuned low, and there might not be much tone separation without choking a tom.

Looks like some playing with toys... er... experimentation... is in order! :headbang:

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tuning could be an issue with the sizes so close
m nah.. That's the point- you fly over the three toms- so fast no one can catch their breath to realize the tone changed) different I know..
and you're back up to the snare)
- Jack DeJohnette version psalm 2:12

HowardW

Reaction score
To follow up, here's the set, ready to play. New Evans heads (G12 coated batter, G1 clear reso) and Evans EQ3 coated bass batter head. I added INDE mounts to the 15" tom and made it a floor tom. Anticipating a question, some of the drums look more yellow: it's the flame wrap and the lighting in the music room. When you see the drums in person, they all have the same deep yellow/gold color.

Playing with the tuning the past few days, I could not get all the toms where I wanted them. There wasn't a wide-enough pitch separation. So I removed the 14" tom and everything fell into place. For playing, the set as shown is 12/13/15/16/20. Toms are tuned as follows:
  • 12" - B#
  • 13" - A
  • 15" - F#
  • 16" - D
  • 20" - F
The set was originally a double bass, but the wrap on one of the basses (the one with the Set-O-Matic mount) was cracked. Since I do not play double bass, and I use RIMS mounts, I chose to use the NOS bass as my playing bass. So in short, the second bass drum and the NOS 14" are sadly collecting dust on the rack. I'll keep the cracked bass to keep the original set intact, but I'm considering selling the 14" tom and the NOS Set-O-Matic mounts/post.

And last, the snare drum is a 1950 Slingerland Radio King (single ply.) Cymbals are some spare Sabian AA/AAX cymbals I have for practice.

Attachments

• IMG_1961.jpeg
    IMG_1961.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1962.jpeg
    IMG_1962.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To follow up, here's the set, ready to play. New Evans heads (G12 coated batter, G1 clear reso) and Evans EQ3 coated bass batter head. I added INDE mounts to the 15" tom and made it a floor tom. Anticipating a question, some of the drums look more yellow: it's the flame wrap and the lighting in the music room. When you see the drums in person, they all have the same deep yellow/gold color.

Playing with the tuning the past few days, I could not get all the toms where I wanted them. There wasn't a wide-enough pitch separation. So I removed the 14" tom and everything fell into place. For playing, the set as shown is 12/13/15/16/20. Toms are tuned as follows:
  • 12" - B#
  • 13" - A
  • 15" - F#
  • 16" - D
  • 20" - F
The set was originally a double bass, but the wrap on one of the basses (the one with the Set-O-Matic mount) was cracked. Since I do not play double bass, and I use RIMS mounts, I chose to use the NOS bass as my playing bass. So in short, the second bass drum and the NOS 14" are sadly collecting dust on the rack. I'll keep the cracked bass to keep the original set intact, but I'm considering selling the 14" tom and the NOS Set-O-Matic mounts/post.

And last, the snare drum is a 1950 Slingerland Radio King (single ply.) Cymbals are some spare Sabian AA/AAX cymbals I have for practice.
I'd have put the white head back on the bass drum :D but the black does go well with that color. That's really stunning...you put a lot of work into that set and busted it right into shape. One of the very best looking sets I've ever seen...easily top 10.

HowardW

Reaction score
Thank you! The bass and the 15" were the NOS drums and cleaned up quickly. The other toms needed more help. Somebody suggested Magic Eraser, and man, they were RIGHT! The drums cleaned up great with the Magic Eraser, followed by a Windex wipedown.

I kept the white logo head on the cracked-wrap bass. I've always preferred black front heads to white, though, especially on a rich color like the gold satin, or my rosewood Gretsch. Black seems to look cleaner to me. And my daughter loves the "rocking cat" graphic, I have it on two other bass drums.