Reaction score
Coming from someone who once was a teenage MetalHead:
Dance music with grooves a mile wide.
Four on floor or just one and three.
Get inside it and ride it.

Last edited:

polycrescendo

Reaction score
My first love is very difficult, technical heavy metal drumming. That being said, I can be caught any day of the week playing along to various embarrassing pop songs that I am too afraid to mention here. I find it's helpful when working on open-handed playing/ left hand lead to play more simple music to get used to playing that way and then move onto more difficult music after the muscle memory sets in. That and I have an appreciation for very clean studio work, so naturally pop songs with 9 writers and 3 engineers tend to sound pretty good no matter how corny the song is.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first love is very difficult, technical heavy metal drumming. That being said, I can be caught any day of the week playing along to various embarrassing pop songs that I am too afraid to mention here. I find it's helpful when working on open-handed playing/ left hand lead to play more simple music to get used to playing that way and then move onto more difficult music after the muscle memory sets in. That and I have an appreciation for very clean studio work, so naturally pop songs with 9 writers and 3 engineers tend to sound pretty good no matter how corny the song is.
Most of us would do well to spend more time playing simple things super clean.

spctomlin

Reaction score
Grew up in a DFW suburb in the 70’s and 80’s in a predominantly white community that was much like the attitude and setting in the movie “Dazed and Confused”. Parents listened to classic country and not much anything else. Learned to play drums on a steady diet of classic rock, early 80’s metal, pop and new wave but never could find much anything to like about rap...but damn do I love me some afro beat, funk and soul with the latter two being a key component of my “style” no matter what genre I’m playing.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I grew up on and still love the stuff from the 50's through 70's. I grew up in the 80's, so it was always oldies and classic rock to me. I like the 90's jangle pop and power pop stuff as well, like Gin Blossoms and Fountains of Wayne, or even back to the 70's with Big Star. Generally, if it's well-written pop rock or rock, I like it. However, the odd man out as far as music goes would be Bloodhound Gang. My wife was surprised when I told her I like their stuff.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
My "unexpected" style is called ElectroSwing and one of it's pioneering bands is Caravan Palace.
It's an electrifying combination of Gypsy Jazz, Vintage Swing and House /Electronica/ Rave.
They don't even have an official drummer in the conventional drumset sense but I listen to them more than almost anything else now.....Try it! You might like it!

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
So I really like the 'classical' music of Phillip Glass.
Check out Music in 5ths and the Hours Sound Track. 2 different flavors of genius.
I also like the dub music of artists on the On U Sound System labelon u sound.png
Andrian Sherwood's "How to be a Cliche" would be a good place to start...or their "Pay it all back" samplers

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I literally just backed into this artist & song an hour ago. Never heard of Mac......killer vibe - sadly, he's dead now. If you check out the NPR show, he's got an eclectic little band and the bassist on this track (Thundercat) is sick.....

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love hard rock and smooth jazz equally but depends what mood I'm in.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Though Bobby Darin and Iglesias did a fine job on this one, I think the original is the best

Last edited:

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My "unexpected" style is called ElectroSwing and one of it's pioneering bands is Caravan Palace.
It's an electrifying combination of Gypsy Jazz, Vintage Swing and House /Electronica/ Rave.
They don't even have an official drummer in the conventional drumset sense but I listen to them more than almost anything else now.....Try it! You might like it!

You're preaching to the choir with this genre!

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that there is pure gold and utter trash in just about every genre. Nothing is off limits to my random tastes. I'm a total musical omnivore.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I usual blab away on the subject of Funk, Reggae, the Dead or generally "groovy" music, but when I need some power these Scandinavians are one of my first choices:

Latest posts