Name the best “replacement” drummer

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That was the first Rush album
Just gave that one a listen on the way home. I don’t think I’ve heard any of it other than working man before. A few too many “fiddley bits” for phil but gets the point across. I always assumed Alex Lifeson would come through with bigger riffs if Rush didn’t musically require a more supporting role but it seems thats just his style. That album is the Geddy Lee show for the most part. Kind of has a Cactus vibe though. Thanks for sending me in that direction

notINtheband

Reaction score
I always assumed Alex Lifeson would come through with bigger riffs if Rush didn’t musically require a more supporting role but it seems thats just his style.
Anytime they played The Camera Eye live you can see Alex just light up when he gets to thrash out the main heavy riff of the bridge before the verses. It’s like watching a teenager light up when they get to rock out their favorite groove of a set.
Anyway, that image came to mind when I read your response.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ginger Baker replaces Mitch Mitchell and Buddy Miles with Jimi Hendrix. (Ginger and Jimi were discussing a project together when Jimi died.)

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clem Burke replacing Keith Moon in The Who. (Light-years more appropriate than Kenny [the slug] Jones...)

toddbishop

Reaction score
I was thinking either Steve Jordan or Keith Carlock for Charlie Watts. Tommy Aldridge would have been a good Bonham replacement. I can't think of who could replace Stewart Copeland-- Ronald Shannon Jackson? That would have killed. Maybe Terry Bozzio.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ringo for anything Zappa...

Joe Morello in Metalica

Dave Grohl in the Benny Goodman quartet

But in all seriousness I really think Levon could make 99.9% of anything he'd play on more interesting...

Ash Soan or maybe Aaron Sterling could both probably do something entertaining in Copeland's chair

Monday317

Reaction score
Thread inspired by Steve Jordan in for Charlie Watts.
I can’t think of a more appropriate appointment and so it got me wondering….

If you had to go back in time (let’s say mid career) and replace:
Stewart Copeland
I think…Thomas Lang

Replace:
Omar Hakim with.. Manu Katche’

So anyway.
Everybody hopes their former Bon Scott is a new Brian Johnson
And their former DLR is a new Sammy Hagar.
Nobody wants to make the Garry Cherone decision.

What drummer subs would you make if you HAD to?
Me, when I sit in for some of the local bands like, The Basket Cases, The Wannabes, The Never Were, The Couldn’t Get A Gig If We Paid The Venue, et.al.

pbldrum

Reaction score
Ever see the Stones? They weren't the tightest band but they had an infectious beat. Keith rocked and Charlie rolled and it was an amazing combo. My hats off to Steve Jordan's talent but I think Dave Mattacks or Gordy Knudtson would have been a better replacement.