Reaction score
Here is a short list of drummers I saw play live and the year I saw them:

Buddy Rich in 1978
Bill Bruford in 1975
*Carl Palmer in 1971
*Carmine Appice in 1969
Phil Collins in 1977
Chester Thompson in 1977

*NOTE: I was a young kid when I saw C. Appice and C. Palmer. I was with adult older brother chaperons. Could not believe my ears and eyes back then.

royal ace

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In a (tentative) descending order of their influence and inspiration to me:
Max Roach
Elvin Jones
Art Blakey
Philly Joe Jones
Kenny Clarke
Billy Higgins
Roy Haynes
Ed Blackwell
Ben Riley
Jimmy Cobb
Billy Hart
Victor Lewis
Danny Richmond
Louis Hayes
Buddy Rich

BillyCarl

Reaction score
I'd say Brian Blade. He was musical, expressive and active. Was playing with Herbie Hancock, John Patitucci and Michael Brecker. That was a treat.

HotpotDavid

Reaction score
Buddy Rich
Roy Burns
Ed Shaughnessy
Carl Palmer
Kenny Aronoff

And I got to see Ringo when he was playing with his all star band called the Beatles.

They were all great!

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mine would be Lionel Hampton when he visited Bangkok and the cub's electricity went out so he couldn't play his vibes.
He calmly called for candles and for close to 15 minutes played solo drums on the house kit.
It was an education in good humor, charm, musicality and showmanship.
I saw Cozy Cole and Buddy Rich here also on their returns from Vietnam gigs, and a few others, but Lionel Hampton's was the memorable show.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't seen too many live but here's the ones I have:

Neil Peart 1989
John Ditrich (Restless Heart) 1989

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Whitey Glann with George Oliver and Mandala back in the early seventies. He's the guy with the weird dbl. bass drum setup in the movie " The Rose "
Levon Helm. I sat about 10 feet from him and was able to watch his show from sideways.Twice, and once down at his club in New Orleans.Funkiest man alive.
Brian Downey, my mentor here in Ottawa.Jaw dropping hands and musicality from the Buddy Rich school of thought.Circus drummer,Chet Baker, Motown - this guy has done it all, and done it correctly.Smirks when you mention Dave Weckl.

Two Canadians and one in a Canadian band. Just saying... :occasion5:

Archt

DFO Master
Reaction score
Last year at the Cape Cod Melody Tent a band called Entrain, very percussion heavy band and the drum set drummer Tom Major kicked a*s. A few years back Steve Smith, incredible performance with his touring band in a small venue. Years ago the Allman Bros drummers Butch Trucks and Jaimo Johnson did a drum solo in a large metal frame cylinder filled with drums that was pretty incredible.

brianb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Buddy Rich, Carmine Appice, Frankie Banali, Kenny Aronoff, Rich Redmond, and Jason Bonham are some of my favorite memories. I've been fortunate enough to see a lot of live shows over the years but these guys popped into my mind immediately.

vintagemore2000

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had the Honor to see Buddy Rich, at the Charlotte Jazz Festival, right after he had had Quadruple bypass heart surgery! It was a very hot late may day, and Buddy simply was smoking Hot, I was able to go on his bus for 30 minutes with him! I received a tee shirt and an autograph!! simply the best day of any persons life. I stole that line from Al Bundy!!

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi,

Claude Ranger leaps to mind as a brilliant and fascinating drummer.

Here is a link that will give you some background:

http://clauderanger.com/

I am not sure of his current status, health, etc.

Patrick

kdsdwc

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents . Billy Cobham at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1975 and the seats were " obstructive view " from the side of the stage , but the PA was moved forward so I was able to see only Billy ! Beautiful for me but not so good for everyone else . And Neil Peart in and around 68-69 at his bands rehearsal space . The lead player in the band was and still is a very good friend of mine and even back then he was smokin !

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Buddy Rich - once with his big band, and once with his quartet AND the Cleveland Orchestra!

Billy Cobham with his band

Tony Williams with VSOP (Wynton Marsalis on trumpet)

Elvin Jones and his quartet

Santana with Graham Lear, Armando Peraza, Jose 'Chepito' Areas, and Raul Rekow

John Bonham with Led Zeppelin