Namm 2019 rumors

Wackerman12345

Reaction score
Ive heard rumors about news gears for the next winter namm:

New Yamaha oak shelled drums (Live custom is discontinued here in Europe)

New advanced bass drum pedal from Yamaha.

2 New Tama Starclassic kit (Who Will remplace Starclassic B/B & Starclassic Bubinga... both Will be discontinued at the end of this year cause bubinga wood enter on the *CITES* accord.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Another member mentioned.......... Starclassic Walnut. and Starclassic Birch/Walnut.

Speaking of Tama..... is'nt it about time they changed the Starclassic Lug ! ? LOL It's been around a LONG time.. I don't remember them going this long of a cycle with one lug.

Wackerman12345

Reaction score
Rhyma Hop said:

Another member mentioned.......... Starclassic Walnut. and Starclassic Birch/Walnut.

Speaking of Tama..... is'nt it about time they changed the Starclassic Lug ! ? LOL It's been around a LONG time.. I don't remember them going this long of a cycle with one lug.
Yeah... its time for TAMA to use STAR lugs ( and bass drum Spurs) for all the Starclassic line!! With a printed badge (like Starclassic maple/bubinga/Star) for Starclassic Performer... And to add new colors for performer, inspired by the Star line (like grand aqua blue , or sunny yellow lacquer !!)

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wackerman12345 said:
Yeah... its time for TAMA to use STAR lugs ( and bass drum Spurs)
I'll take Granstar hardware over almost ANYTHING. Too cool for school.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Had never gotten to play a Starclassic BB kit until about a month ago. Enjoyed them quite a bit, like a Gretsch kit with some mids scooped out. A walnut kit with similar build-out would be very interesting to me.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Rhyma Hop said:

speaking of Ludwig, isn't it about time they changed the classic lug? LOL! It's been around a long time... ;)

That's one thing I can respect Tama for, bucking the trend of the other Asian drum companies in changing their high-end lugs every few years. It's slowly becoming an iconic design, not unlike Ludwig, DW, Slingerland, etc.

If you can't tell, I'm starting to soften on Tama. I'm still bitter about the politics with C&C, and most of their gear is built for aesthetic that isn't what my own gigs need, but you can't fault them for doing what they do really well.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
AaronLatos said:

speaking of Ludwig, isn't it about time they changed the classic lug? LOL! It's been around a long time... ;)

That's one thing I can respect Tama for, bucking the trend of the other Asian drum companies in changing their high-end lugs every few years. It's slowly becoming an iconic design, not unlike Ludwig, DW, Slingerland, etc.

If you can't tell, I'm starting to soften on Tama. I'm still bitter about the politics with C&C, and most of their gear is built for aesthetic that isn't what my own gigs need, but you can't fault them for doing what they do really well.
Something like the Ludwig or Gretsch are like relic's.. Too much history behind them. Starclassic does'nt have that sort of history and Tama used to change quite a bit. They have MANY MANY different lugs they've been through.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A Starclassic Walnut would be amazing. Even more amazing, though, would be if they priced it low enough that I could actually afford it...

Topsy Turvy

Reaction score
AaronLatos said:

Not sure I understand what you are saying with your last paragraph. Can you explain?

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rhyma Hop said:

I don't think they should change that lug at all. The starclassic was a game changer for Tama and the industry at the time it came out. Same as DW or Ludwig Classic or Gretsch, I can recognize a starclassic lug from a mile away. I love that lug and I don't own any Tama stuff; but that lug is gorgeous.

croomz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wackerman12345 said:

2 New Tama Starclassic kit (Who Will remplace Starclassic B/B & Starclassic Bubinga... both Will be discontinued at the end of this year cause bubinga wood enter on the *CITES* accord.
Where did you hear this on Yamaha Oak? I'm hoping they ditch the current finishes on the revamp then. Need more sparkles!

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rhyma Hop is the ideal target customer for fly by night manufacturers/assemblers that want to attract buyers who want something new and trendy. Of course, most of those trendy things become unsellable boat anchors after a couple of years. Too bad for DW. They won't get Rhyma Hop's business because their lug design fits with his stated opinion about long-standing lug designs: "Something like the Ludwig or Gretsch are like relic's.. Too much history behind them".

Wackerman12345

Reaction score
croomz said:

Where did you hear this on Yamaha Oak? I'm hoping they ditch the current finishes on the revamp then. Need more sparkles!
I read this on the Facebook page of the French drumshop: mydrumshop

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
W&A Player said:
Rhyma Hop is the ideal target customer for fly by night manufacturers/assemblers that want to attract buyers who want something new and trendy. Of course, most of those trendy things become unsellable boat anchors after a couple of years. Too bad for DW. They won't get Rhyma Hop's business because their lug design fits with his stated opinion about long-standing lug designs: "Something like the Ludwig or Gretsch are like relic's.. Too much history behind them".
Pffff. ..... WTF ?

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mr Rhyma Hop....Here's what I think happened.

You innocently and with a bit of tongue in cheek (it seemed to me) remarked that it was time for Tama to change the Starclassic lug. You even alluded to the fact that our friends at Hoshino music have liked to switch it up a bit over the years. Your remarks about Ludwig and Gretsch I took to mean..."don't look for any change in those designs...too much history"...maybe Mr W&A Player took exception to the word relic. One might speculate it's been thrown around towards him a time or two.

Tell me if I misunderstood what you meant Mr Rhyma Hop....I pride myself on reading comprehension.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ickybaby said:
Mr Rhyma Hop....Here's what I think happened.

You innocently and with a bit of tongue in cheek (it seemed to me) remarked that it was time for Tama to change the Starclassic lug. You even alluded to the fact that our friends at Hoshino music have liked to switch it up a bit over the years. Your remarks about Ludwig and Gretsch I took to mean..."don't look for any change in those designs...too much history"...maybe Mr W&A Player took exception to the word relic. One might speculate it's been thrown around towards him a time or two.

Tell me if I misunderstood what you meant Mr Rhyma Hop....I pride myself in reading comprehension.
Hey you are a smart person Icky........, yes you understand.. You have basic comprehension skills which I would expect.

I cannot imagine it being complicated. And RELIC is a GREAT THING, if something has a long long history.

And to top it off... Is'nt this a DISCUSSION BOARD ?? LOL

R

RickP

This talk of switching lug design is not something Drum Companies take lightly. It is not an inexpensive activity to go through.
Any changes require, new designs, tooling, moulds, prototypes and minimum order quantities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
RickP said:
This talk of switching lug design is not something Drum Companies take lightly. It is not an inexpensive activity to go through.
Any changes require, new designs, tooling, moules, prototypes and minimum order quantities.

I'm not so sure with companies like Tama. They come up with new lugs semi-regularly. Look at the Superstar with long lugs... the Superstar with small lugs, Silverstar. Another one for the new Club Jam kit. The current Imperialstar lug.... I don't remember that one too long ago. The one on the limited edition kits SLP (might be from snares)...not sure of that but I don't remember it. They have MANY lugs. Pearl does the same thing. They come up with brand new designs when it is TOTALLY not required or necessary.

Reactions: JDA

Latest posts