NAMM 2020 => Mapex

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Not the best video, but still a little of what Mapex is offering in 2020. Getting back into walnut/birch shells should make Bandit happy! LOL As always, their kits look beautiful. I really like the tom mount ideas with the extended 180 degree hoop.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Here's one on their snares too. This chick does not know how to interview, and there is about a fifth of the info here that we should be getting. But a nice start. More Black Panther snares are always a good thing. I'm hoping Long & McQuade or Sweetwater comes by and does a much better booth review.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow ... how the HECK did she get the call to hold that mic?
That is one of the least effective interviewers I believe I’ve ever seen ... and I’ve seen elementary school kiddos working in front of the camera.

With that said ...

Love the direction Mapex is headed!
Really cool ideas there.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does this mean they've abandoned the FLATUS floating air tom mounting system? :laughing6:

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Does this mean they've abandoned the FLATUS floating air tom mounting system? :laughing6:
I don't know if that ever really took off unfortunately. But I also thought those were exclusive to the Versatus and Cherry Bomb (?) designer kits.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Same chick, but slightly better info. Nah, I'm just being generous. LOL Anyway, these are the Black Panther Design Lab snares. Why we're not hearing anything...well I blame the kid with the mic. As always, gorgeous drums from Mapex.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Those videos were hilarious! :laughing5:

Perfect examples for any media class on how NOT to do an interview.
Holy sheeet, exactly. If you're on the air, yeah you never give up the mic, but in this instance, give the pro the mic and let him go! That's what the viewers want. So many questions after these videos. And given their history, I'm expecting it will take Mapex a long time to update their website with the pertinent info and sound samples. They really need a whole new website, eh.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Omigosh you guys - this music store is about 20 minutes from me and I’m there frequently. I know her and I’m dyin!!!
I absolutely understand.
Business is business. This was a seriously poor business decision.
It can be overcome.
Nothing personal. She is not the representation they needed for the videos. A very poor choice.
With a bit of careful editing, these could be saved by doing some cropping and splicing.
I wasn’t uncaring in my statement ... I worked with quite a few school kids instructing them in interviewing and camera and lighting and sound skills. They did a nice job each time.

This girl‘s skills ... not so much. They took it for granted that pretty much anyone can “interview”.
That has the potential to be a costly mistake.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Omigosh you guys - this music store is about 20 minutes from me and I’m there frequently. I know her and I’m dyin!!!
Dude, I'm sure she's a really nice person, and I don't mean to be harsh towards her. Bet, geeze, c'mon, its the elephant in the room. How can we not mention it?!?! LOL

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
So I learned next to nothing. I did learn that they like coming up with new mounts just for the sake of it. That is butt ugly, and the badge under the mount just adds to the ugliness. I should of taken over that company years ago. :)

SpinaDude

Reaction score
So I learned next to nothing. I did learn that they like coming up with new mounts just for the sake of it. That is butt ugly, and the badge under the mount just adds to the ugliness. I should of taken over that company years ago. :)
I really like the mount, but I agree, the badge should be smaller and moved to not appear pressed up against it.

Glenn, do you have a Versatus snare, or have you ever played one yourself?

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I really like the mount, but I agree, the badge should be smaller and moved to not appear pressed up against it.

Glenn, do you have a Versatus snare, or have you ever played one yourself?
No and no. I have pretty much stopped buying anything new for drumming. Spending my time playing, writing, and recording.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That new 180 mount is simply hideous. Adjustable damping? Silly gimic.

But I have pity on drum makers. Quite simply, drums have been refined to their ultimate measure as currently configured. They've reached the same place as guitars, ie, nowhere to go from here except cosmetics. That's why we have such oddities as ROASTED necks.

We may eventually be forced to actually PLAY the darned things rather than simply looking at them.

GeeDeeEmm

SpinaDude

Reaction score
GeeDee, why do you say a silly gimmick on the damping? Do you think it doesn't work? Or are you thinking it doesn't do anything MoonGel can't do?

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree that the drum itself has finally been perfected, and a long time ago. For years its been about finishes, and mystery, exotic woods from around the globe, special beds and edges, etc. Im glad the show was a watered down version of what it once was, so maybe now we can stop pretending that someone "invented" something new...There are still a handful of throw backs that still insist....well, you get my point

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
CA House?

What the heck?
That's my (small) hometown's music store.

Last edited:

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
well thanks for posting....I'm not sure what to make of the halo mount. Looks unique anyway. I like the purple ice finish on that one kit...

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Little bit more detail here on the Saturn Evolution series...with everyone's favorite: a retainer on the toms. LOL (I like it. I think it looks like something out of the Jetsons.)