header.nohb.html

NAMM 2022 expectations?

markkarj

Reaction score
Do you have any expectations and/or wishes for NAMM 2022?

My very focused one would be for cheaper Yamaha Live Custom offerings to return so I could complete my kit with an amber fade bass drum that wouldn't cost me a kidney. I think I'll need to custom order a bass drum and finish it myself :/

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that uzu kari (sp?) finish took the Live Custom out of the realm of affordability. It’s impressive, but not worth it for me.

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that uzu kari (sp?) finish took the Live Custom out of the realm of affordability. It’s impressive, but not worth it for me.
I thought it was mainly the phenolic resin layer and those weights in the bass drum.

T_Weaves

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll be a little interested in what TAMA might be slinging. I heard Sonor isn't going to be there. Those are really the only two brands I'm interested in at this point.

nmosko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm really excited to see what John Good cooked up for DW's 50th! Also, I'm on the British Drum Company wagon now so i'm wondering if they'll have anything that they didn't already show at the UK Drum Show.

RCDCllc

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will be my first NAMM so I can't wait to check everything out. Hoping to find sources for hardware and parts for custom drum fabrication, tooling for cymbal making and more. Also hope to get a chance to meet up with some of the Drumeo crew and members and other drummers and drum makers.

drummaman1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1 Yamaha is not bringing back anything, nor are they making it more affordable. I’d like to see some hardware, namely a hihat pedal whose footboard matches the fp9. Some new snare drums, more like expanded sizes, and maybe a copper or bronze would be nice. But get that “bring back such and such” out of your head, Yamaha is moving forward, and so should we.
2. I heard a RUMOR that DW is planning Radio King snares this summer, and kits at next years winter namm. Again, rumor.
3. Tama - starclassic finish game is off, in my
opinion. Too many swirl finishes, and though those finishes are nice, maybe different color combos. MIC needs to step up their finish game.
4. BDC - they’ve stepped up their finish game and their hardware game considerably. I am looking forward to my first BDC kit in the next year or two.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is it will be mostly a “meet & greet” for manufactures and dealers.

I don’t think a lot of manufacturers will be displaying, and I don’t think there will be a lot of major new product introductions. It’s three days instead of four and I’m sensing a tepid response from the industry.

This is all a guess so I could be completely wrong.

Dtucci

Reaction score
I prefer to go in with NO EXPECTATIONS, that way I’m always stoked on whatever I see and hear.
This will be an interesting reboot year and I’m looking forward to a few less vendors on the floor.
What I always look forward to is a lot more gear buyers in town. I plan on spending a couple days this week taking photos and prepping ads for gear that needs to be re-homed.

Glendrum

Reaction score
2020 NAMM expectation list :
1). Please figure out the supply chain issues for everyone both consumer and Retail.
Can't even purchase heads, sticks or items such as Floor tom legs.
2.) Find out whether Regal Tip is out of business
3.) Locating Cymbal companies that don't charge $385 for a lousy sounding crash cymbal and Rides for $500.00
4.) Tama makes some more appealing finishes other than the weird dark swirls and others that don't translate under stage lighting.
5.) Ludwig continues the manufacturing of the Weather master drum heads.

avedisschwinn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My guess is it will be mostly a “meet & greet” for manufactures and dealers.

I don’t think a lot of manufacturers will be displaying, and I don’t think there will be a lot of major new product introductions. It’s three days instead of four and I’m sensing a tepid response from the industry.

This is all a guess so I could be completely wrong.
I am getting the same vibe. Business has been tepid, stores are running lean, there are other ways to communicate. I have had several dealers cancel in the last few days.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
2020 NAMM expectation list :
1). Please figure out the supply chain issues for everyone both consumer and Retail.
Can't even purchase heads, sticks or items such as Floor tom legs.
2.) Find out whether Regal Tip is out of business
3.) Locating Cymbal companies that don't charge $385 for a lousy sounding crash cymbal and Rides for $500.00
4.) Tama makes some more appealing finishes other than the weird dark swirls and others that don't translate under stage lighting.
5.) Ludwig continues the manufacturing of the Weather master drum heads.
#1. GOOD LUCK with that. My shop guy has been saying the same thing.

#2. Regal Tip is gone. Company was even up for sale and no buyers. It's sad. There was never even any "formal" announcement made.

#5. We could only hope.
I need some smooth white bass drum heads!! I just really prefer that semi transparent film :-(
I believe Ludwig was still making the snare side heads, but that may have changed since Remo has been doing the manufacturing of their branded heads for a couple years now.
Remo does off a crimped hoop within certain models. They used to be under the marching section of models.
That's where the Remo CLEAR no-collar snare side heads is from.

Bronzepie

Reaction score
This will be my first CA. NAMM as an exhibitor with Koide Cymbals. Last year’s PASIC was missing several of the big companies. The up side is that the smaller venders got a foothold with both retailers and floor sales. It also made people stretch out and visit booths they otherwise might have passed over and discovering new merch. I’m hoping this to be the case from my vantage point, but I definitely understand the disappointment with major companies opting out for the visitor. This show is ridiculously expensive to set foot in after all is accounted for, a huge gamble. Considering sales and logistics of these times, I can see why some are holding out for next Jan. show.