NAMM 2022 expectations?

Reaction score
I would like to see Yamaha open up their Tour Custom Maple line like the Stage Custom Birch line. Everything from a bop to a 24 thin shell, rocking ass maple bass drum and 14/16/18 floors. All available as components.

I completely agree Yamaha needs to bump up their finish game. Remember Yamaha only does gloss and fairly neutral satin lacquers, (no wraps or exotic veneers, except veneers on the PHX) so they should bump those offerings up.

The PHX Ash outer ply is actually a full ply, not a (fancy) vineer like a wrap.

1653376005457.png

But tbh they were were a big fan of wraps.

Out of the 60 old Absolute finishes (that was crazy to maintain at their level, and got people spoiled) only 10 were wraps.

They had more size options on the previous gen Tour Custom’s.

It would be great indeed to see those back.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m not exactly sure what more the industry can do to “figure out” the supply chain issues. Everyone has been trying to do exactly that for 2 years now.

But anyway. We primarily used it as an opportunity to meet our international dealers and suppliers face to face. Exhibiting there in the future is very much in question. I’d say we are done doing that, instead choosing to simply attend.

“Trade shows aren’t dead - they just smell funny.”

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How many kits makes it worth it?
What ya mean? Not trying to sound like a butt I just don’t genuinely get that question? I think the right way to execute it would be. Make them the way they were made before. Test the waters with 50 snare drums see what interest are generated then go from there. The liking situation will be they will make them with dw technology slap slingerland on it get a big artist to endorse them and try to bring them back. I myself wouldn’t buy a kit. But I wouldn’t mind having a snare. Honestly wish I had a snare from every era it got passed through.

Ludwig2010

Reaction score
I would hope Ludwig unveils some finishes that arent wraps. But if they havent gotten the memo by now...
Some new Renown finishes would be nice...Id love a satin green like their satin blue.

Neilrush88

Reaction score
This year I dont have any expectations, because my wishes in the past namms never came true LOL.

dale w miller

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would hope Ludwig unveils some finishes that arent wraps. But if they havent gotten the memo by now...
Some new Renown finishes would be nice...Id love a satin green like their satin blue.

I never understood that about them in regards finishes that could be painted.

dale w miller

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What ya mean? Not trying to sound like a butt I just don’t genuinely get that question? I think the right way to execute it would be. Make them the way they were made before. Test the waters with 50 snare drums see what interest are generated then go from there. The liking situation will be they will make them with dw technology slap slingerland on it get a big artist to endorse them and try to bring them back. I myself wouldn’t buy a kit. But I wouldn’t mind having a snare. Honestly wish I had a snare from every era it got passed through.

Starting with snare drums appears to be the industry standard as it isn’t a bad plan. The way some people speak of it it’s like you’re going to run out and buy a kit the moment something comes out. I have seen more than my fair share, more so younger players than older ones I admit, always saying, “I wish XXXX would come out with/offer XXXX.”

At that point most don’t even have the money.

I was saying how many kits do you think they need to sell to make any money on it? If the hardware is different than any of the hardware they may have CAM’s for or better yet already lying around, it’s going to cost quite a bit.