Narada Michael Walden Joins Journey

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Narada is great, for sure. But man oh man, you all gotta read that Billy Cobham biography where he really lets it rip on McLaughlin and the shenanigans that transpired when he replaced Billy with Narada.

What page numbers

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Here's the One I was looking for a huge hit back in the day...
guess one could say he was before Phil Collins (as in a drummer/singer/ solo hit)

(I - as many did- bought that album back in 1977.)

Last edited:

pgm554

Reaction score
Have not heard Michael Narada Walden since since his time with Mahavishnu Orchestra.
Seen him quite a few times with the fusion group Warriors.
Steve Smith and Rayford Griffen used to be rotating drummers.
Members of Jean Luc Pontys band were in and out too.
One of the greatest live drumming gigs I've ever seen was with Narada at the Keystone in Berkeley.
Basically Michael Jordon on drums.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What is an "alleged “coup attempt” within the corporate structure of the band". fighting over money ?

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good for him - I don't begrudge any of these dinosaur rock bands touring with new members or making a buck. Professional musicians play live and do it for money. On a business trip last year, I saw REO playing my hotel theater on a Wednesday night. As Cronin said from the stage - "I'm a musician, what the hell else am I gonna' do except play?" Narada has chops, great groove, can sing and was a great studio producer/writer with a dozen pop hits to his credit. Pre-Covid, Journey were doing quite well as a touring rock band playing 30-40 year old hits, selling out arenas on package tours with Def Leppard, and had a lucrative multi-week Vegas contract at Caesars on top of it. Smith and Valory were not trying to get a bigger slice of pie from a money losing organization. Looks like they may have wiffed, and there are dozens of A list professional drummers that would take that gig without blinking an eye. With the studio heyday long gone, many of these amazing musicians like Narada are looking at live work as studio income has bottomed out given how easy it is to record, track, mix and distribute from even a smart phone these days. More power to Journey and him. If they can keep that live band touring and making money for a few more years -- peace and best wishes.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
This news was posted a couple of days ago... Pop Vocal Band Journey Hires New Drummer After Smith’s Failed Coup!

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
If at some point relevancy becomes split between the music and constant drama, I'd think who/what ever it is has entered a tight drain spiral.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Neal Schon thinks he's somebody. Will always be the second guitarist in Santana circa 1973 to me; downhill from there; Change my mind.
Better yet don't you won't.
This is just a silly comment. He is a highly respected guitarist that at one point was the founder of the biggest band in the world. The guy has great feel, can make notes soar, has a great sense of melody, and tops it off with machine gun riffs.

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
This is just a silly comment. He is a highly respected guitarist what apt one point was the founder of the biggest band in the world. The guy has great feel, can make notes soar, has a great since of melody, and tops it off with machine gun riffs.
[/QUOTE
...”one point was the founder of the biggest band in the world.”

Wow! Neal Schon was a Beatle? Really?

Latest posts