Narada Michael Walden Joins Journey

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really? At the time, yes. They headlined JFK Stadium in Philadelphia that holds 90,000 people; the same stadium that Live Aid was held. So yes, at one point they were the biggest band in the world.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Police and Journey did it in the same year - 1983. Also, The Jacksons sold out 4 shows at JFK the following year.
Michael left everyone in the dust. He was a one man wrecking crew with Thriller. He also charged a whopping $40 or so/ticket and you could only get them via lottery.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good for him. The guy's gotta eat but I hope he can put up with Neal Schon and Jonathan Cain. They are probably two of the biggest douche bags in rock.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good for him. The guy's gotta eat but I hope he can put up with Neal Schon and Jonathan Cain. They are probably two of the biggest douche bags in rock.
The hired guns tend to have a different mindset than the former bandmates that are more likely to fight over control and money.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He tried to fraudulently take ownership of the band.
Jeez Steve. What would that involve allegedly ? Sending in Lawyers to change the structure of decisions made and royalties earned ?

gmiller598

Reaction score
The hired guns tend to have a different mindset than the former bandmates that are more likely to fight over control and money.
and while he is a fine drummer, he is not going to be paid to do anything other than recreate Steve Smith's original parts.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
and while he is a fine drummer, he is not going to be paid to do anything other than recreate Steve Smith's original parts.
He's a skilled enough drummer that he'll be able to bring his own interpretation to the songs, as narrow as that is likely to be given how simplistic the songs actually are. But he'll but his own stamp on things for as long as he's in that chair. My only regret is that I will not likely go to see one of their shows since I absolutely despise arena concerts and much prefer the intimate environment of a small clubs where I saw Narada for the first time several years ago. So, he won't likely be playing with anyone else who I would rather go see him with. I'm relegated to waiting for his Journey gig to be over and he finds a gig in a more jazz orientation or with his own band. Oh well.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From what I read and the one time I met him, I agree with you about Cain. He’s kind of a douche.

Schon seems like the type of leader that let’s everyone have a lot of freedom until it crosses a particular line. That line was crossed when Cain went to the White House and more or less announced he was a Trump supporter. I think Neal just wants to play with people he enjoys playing with and make money doing it.

He seems easy going, but his standards are high. I think he appreciates Arnel Pineda, but he’s also been very open about getting back with Perry if he wanted. I think the same would apply to this legal fiasco regarding Valory and Smith.

Honestly, my first impression meeting Steve Smith wasn’t the best either. I have seen him a lot since at NAMM many other years that followed. He seems alright, I guess.