narrow snare wires

Barden

Reaction score
I've never played around with narrow snare wires, but I want to try some. What's a good source and recommendation. All my snares are 14". My first peak on amaze-on didn't inspire me.

I tried 42 strand and didn't think that worked on the drum in question. So let's go the other way.

MrYikes

Reaction score
I just ordered a 12 and a 16 strand set for my 13" snare with the same thinking as you. Mine are coming from china so it may be a while before I get them because of the flu going on there.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
I just picked up a set of puresounds for a project (Kent/Paramount) snare I'm rehabbing...but I had a set of Tama's that were great...if i found them i would have bought them first.

for hahas once I put a 4 strand set of orchestral snares on a snare...it was interesting but not very musical IMO.

dtk

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Slingerland 12 strand wires.

I have more than my fair share of snares and my favorite is a 1965 Slingerland 6 lug Student model with the original 12 strand wires. Love that thing! It isn't going to be all sensitive if that's your thing but it nails a solid backbeat that still allows a great woody sound from the shell.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From personal experience and experimentation, I haven't found that increasing the number of wires on a snare offers any improvement in snare drum "sensitivity." In fact (and, again, just my personal experience) increasing the number of wires directly correlates with a decrease in sensitivity.

The reason that this is so is easy to grasp: each added wire acts as a muffler as it is strung across the reso head. The effect of a single wire is minimal, but when one goes from twelve wires resting against the head to twenty four wires across the surface, the muffling effect is doubled, at least. For example, everybody who has used cotton balls in their drums in order to control resonance knows first hand the effect that even one cotton ball has on resonance.

This is not to say that increasing the number of wires on a snare is a bad thing. If the end goal is to change the sound of the snare drum, then increasing (or decreasing) the number of snare wires will certainly offer that change. But my belief is that the change that one will experience will be an alteration of the tone, not an increase in sensitivity.

GeeDeeEmm

sammy123

Reaction score
Pure sound 12 concert wires and the 12 strand EQ wires are both great.

I have the EQ 12s on my C&C Player Date with roundover edges on top and bottom. Great combo!

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I find it shocking that there are hardly any 12 or even 16 strand wires. I've always felt a real need for them myself, and I don't like puresound. If only Canopus would do them, or at least anyone

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
I like 12 and 16 strands, a lot. I never felt like they are any kind of compromise, I get plenty of snare sound, they can do crisp, they can do greasy, they’re more controlled.
You’ve got quite a few choicesI’m not a big Puresound fan but they do well with cords. The Schagerl are like $60 if you’re looking for fancy. Worldmax looks promising, but I’ve never tried them.
Here’s some options I’m aware of:

PureSound Concert 12 strand
PureSound Equalizer 12 & 16 strand
Tama Snappy Snare 12 strand
Ludwig 12 strand
Worldmax 12 & 16 strand
Gibraltar 16 strand
DW 16 strand
Fat Cat 16 strand
Shaw Steel 16 strand
Schagerl 16 strand

Hope that helps you find “the one wire to rule them all”! Be interested to hear what you end up with.

dsop

Reaction score

(photo below is of 20 strand)

sammy123

Reaction score
I have some of these German wires as well as the Tama snares. No complaints with those either.

(photo below is of 20 strand)

dsop

Reaction score
I'm actually using these on two snare drums now, and they're fine too. I think I prefer the German wires (as above) though.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I haven't tried experimenting but over the years I've been using Puresound Factory Replacements on my 6.5x14 Supra. They sound good to me.

I just counted 20 strands; does that sound right?

sherm