Natural Talent / Lessons / Desire …..

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The paradiddle I find pretty much useless for me . I can’t make it sound good as a drum beat . And for the life of me as a fill . No way . My brain crumbles ….
That's funny, I depend on rudiments to help me get around the kit. Singles give me fits if I have to cross over and stuff. So much that I "cheat" with them.

I spent the first several years of drumming almost exclusively focusing on snare drum rudiments and snare drum solos. So my brain really does hear rudiments, and they just happen naturally. I think the key was the snare solos, honestly. If you play enough of those and commit them to memory, they just become a part of you.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stick Control 1 hr/ day 3 months don't come out till thru. First three pages or so. Metronome.
Fix your foot and everything

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to find a "coach." I don't want a teacher, I am not trying to learn every single thing. I want to optimize what I can do

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Houndog, I'm surprised by your paradiddle admission! I'm trying to learn to shuffle like you, and I'm using them a lot. Still working on my paradiddle-diddle and double paradiddle five and seven stroke rolls.
You must have just insanely fast one handed singles! I'm working on those too

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scholarly research has been done investigating the exact subject of the roles that natural talent and practice play in becoming successful at performing complex tasks. These studies suggest that even with a certain amount of natural talent and the desire, it takes an average of 10,000 hours of practice to become exceptional at such a task (and playing drums certainly qualifies as a complex task).

P.S. 10,000 hours is 3 hours a day, every day, for over 9 years. That doesn't mean slaving away over a practice pad, but it does mean playing drums in some musical context.

Some (non-scholarly) reading on the subject: Complexity and the 10,000-hour rule .

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
disregard conflicting messages from others "you're great!" (inside you say yeah no..
Inner confidence can withstand any -good or bad- critique.
of course always listen constructively but don't be swayed either

So Psychology is something I've been thinking of doing on the side. get me outta this thread!
:D

and regarding paradiddle sticking. You have to make that work. in straight 16ths or you can play it in triplets..it's a whole open door to most 70s on - drumming stuff (pun no pun)
don't avoid it; the right foot -in unison- along with the right hand; is a good exercise you may like. Then double and triple paradiddle- all- good hand and set- exercise.
I agree with the 1st point .
I’m 56 ; ain’t got time to worry about paradiddles If I haven’t got them yet it ain’t gonna happen .

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's funny, I depend on rudiments to help me get around the kit. Singles give me fits if I have to cross over and stuff. So much that I "cheat" with them.

I spent the first several years of drumming almost exclusively focusing on snare drum rudiments and snare drum solos. So my brain really does hear rudiments, and they just happen naturally. I think the key was the snare solos, honestly. If you play enough of those and commit them to memory, they just become a part of you.
When I try to do rudiments across the kit my brain loses track of sticking …

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
I want to find a "coach." I don't want a teacher, I am not trying to learn every single thing. I want to optimize what I can do
That can sometimes work - but learning to play is often like building a house.... I can't just say I want to build the 2nd story balcony without eventually realizing that the knowledge to do that is the same as learning to build the whole house. Silly analogy aside - most everything we do comes from stacking bits of skill on top of each other. You might come to find out that why the things you want to optimize aren't progressing is from hole and gaps in your foundation.

In my experience, a good drum teacher doesn't teach anyone anything they don't need to learn in order to function as a player - any kind of a player.

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
Houndog, I'm surprised by your paradiddle admission! I'm trying to learn to shuffle like you, and I'm using them a lot. Still working on my paradiddle-diddle and double paradiddle five and seven stroke rolls.
You must have just insanely fast one handed singles! I'm working on those too
Why would you think I can play insanely fast one handed rolls ?
Actually I can do a one handed roll but not in in any kind of musical context and certainly not around the kit .

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with the 1st point .
I’m 56 ; ain’t got time to worry about paradiddles If I haven’t got them yet it ain’t gonna happen .
so here's the deal. paradidle. single strokes. RL. Double strokes. RR

Bet you're already doing them. Conform! You ain't that different. You're already doing them.
they're little '4' sets RLRR ......LRLL

You can expand and toy with. Conform.
Everybody else is does

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
That can sometimes work - but learning to play is often like building a house.... I can't just say I want to build the 2nd story balcony without eventually realizing that the knowledge to do that is the same as learning to build the whole house. Silly analogy aside - most everything we do comes from stacking bits of skill on top of each other. You might come to find out that why the things you want to optimize aren't progressing is from hole and gaps in your foundation.

In my experience, a good drum teacher doesn't teach anyone anything they don't need to learn in order to function as a player - any kind of a player.
Yup , my lessons have me realizing just how much foundation I skipped .
My drummer Buddy’s are amazed I am taking lessons . They think I should be the one teaching …
Yeah , I’ve got craters , not holes ….

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
The paradiddle I find pretty much useless for me . I can’t make it sound good as a drum beat . And for the life of me as a fill . No way . My brain crumbles ….
The purpose of learning the paradiddle isn't to be able to use it anywhere in it's native form. The purpose I believe is to train you hands and mind to be able to play doubles interspersed with singles - where ever it musically serves you. I rarely ever use a paradiddle as-is - or multiple paradiddles in a row. But I am constantly using doubles here and there within my singles in fills, to get from this drum to that, or from a drum to a cymbal. And the first thing that opened the door to me being able to do all of that was learning the single paradiddle.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
them move on to the Six Stroke
RLLRRL
repeat

that's the fills in the Two Tickets sorta yea

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
them move on to the Six Stroke
RLLRRL
repeat

that's the fills in the Two Tickets sorta yea
I’ll be danged it is !!!
I spent a long long time working on the 6 stroke roll , I still have to warm it up and it just doesn’t find its way into my playing .

Reactions: JDA

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
That would explain a lot , I never studied the rudiments too extensively.

It mystifies me when what I consider great musicians compliment my playing .
I sat in with some killer players last year and the guitarist told me he was very impressed, I said thank I’ve been taking lessons from so and so , he said “WTF ?
To heck with him you oughta be teaching him “. Which is completely and utterly absurd .
My teacher is an amazing player and a very good teacher .
He always has more than one way to unlock my mind …..
OMG! I think paradiddles are one of the most versatile and useful rudiments there are. There are so many things you can do with them. You could practically make a career out of paradiddles.

The rudiments are like the alphabet. They are the foundation of a drummers vocabulary. And, reading rhythm notation is, by far, the most efficient way for drummers to communicate their ideas and understand what they hear and play. I’m not dissing your teacher, but, I don’t understand why he wouldn’t insist on you learning these foundational skills. It isn’t that hard. It just takes some time and dedication. And you can play rudiments between your hands, between your feet and between your hands and feet. You are limited only by your imagination. You are basically trying to re-invent the wheel.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve seen some excellent drummers who couldn’t play an open roll to save their soul, can’t read, don’t even understand song form. But, imagine how much more they could accomplish as drummers if they could do all of these things.

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
Starting lessons was my last effort to overcome my hurdles , I’m about to throw in the towel on improving . It’s gotten extremely hard to motivate when my progress is nowhere near what I want .
There are songs I’ve struggled with for years
. It takes about 2 years for what I work on to make it onstage …

I’ve been working on doubles with my foot for 5 solid years and still nothing ….

UGH ………

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get Stick Control and batter the first three pages scoot around where ever....as a routine/make time .etc.
Gotta get the march------it's all march/jazz/pop/blues-----beside some ethereal stuff----

Drums are a march get in line Soldjier!!! :D
Regimen. ho!
One foot in front of the other you monkey Now Move! :D