Need a bolt for my 1989 GMS tom mount

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Need one or two bolts for a GMS 1989 CL Tom hardware mount
The one I’m holding is too large for the empty hole shown.
My hardware store does not have anything, and my local drum shop gave me the one that is too large.
I have no real way of actually knowing the correct size.
Can anyone either sell me what they think is correct one, or supply me with a few that could be right
A07B588A-E469-423C-9DC1-84E0AD9ED770.jpeg

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi! I just found your thread, back in July 2017, when you got the kit! Why not just take the mount, or entire tom, to a hardware store and try some different bolts to determine thread size? Pretty sure they'll be US thread size. Maybe 1/4-20? Once you determine the thread size and pitch, you should be able to obtain the correct drum key bolt.

-Mark

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi! I just found your thread, back in July 2017, when you got the kit! Why not just take the mount, or entire tom, to a hardware store and try some different bolts to determine thread size? Pretty sure they'll be US thread size. Maybe 1/4-20? Once you determine the thread size and pitch, you should be able to obtain the correct drum key bolt.

-Mark
Hi,
Already tried that at what I thought would be a good a hardware store. We tried a lot of different options. No luck matching the thread and size.
Same at my drum shop. Even went to an auto mechanic to discuss re tapping and new bolts. (Possibility if I can get someone to do it)
No luck. I don’t think it’s US made hardware. The drums certainly are.
I think the size and threads are metric. Maybe I’ll have to try a second hardware store
I do thank you for letting me know the correct name for the bolt.
I like that a drum key bolt.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It just might be metric! Any good hardware store will have metric bolts. What's odd is that the tag on the shell says "Made in U.S.A.", so you'd think it would be standard US thread. Any chance that the internal threading is defective?

-Mark

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It just might be metric! Any good hardware store will have metric bolts. What's odd is that the tag on the shell says "Made in U.S.A.", so you'd think it would be standard US thread. Any chance that the internal threading is defective?

-Mark
Yes, the threading could be bad. I thought the store I went to was a good one. We did try metric options.
I think I have heard in the past that the shells were Keller.
I’m not sure if GMS made their own US hardware ?
They might have on the higher end kits, but maybe not on the lower end CL’s ?
Still going to try other options.
Was hoping a forum drum guy would have some in a box and sell me a few to try.
My drum shop had 2 that didn’t fit.
Thanks for chiming in

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In my parts stash I have at least 6 different thread types for those drum key bolts (both SAE and metric types). There easily could be more than that out there. As was stated in previous posts, a good hardware store (with a knowledgeable sales person) should be able to help you determine what thread type you need. And they should be able to supply you with something that will fit. I understand how frustrating it can be trying to find correct replacement parts.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In my parts stash I have at least 6 different thread types for those drum key bolts (both SAE and metric types). There easily could be more than that out there. As was stated in previous posts, a good hardware store (with a knowledgeable sales person) should be able to help you determine what thread type you need. And they should be able to supply you with something that will fit. I understand how frustrating it can be trying to find correct replacement parts.
I believe you are right about trying additional hardware stores. Just have not gotten to it yet.
It is frustrating hunting around, but it’s also a fun process. I’ll be satisfied w functional parts, let alone correct ones. When it works out, there is gear satisfaction.
Thanks

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I noticed that, too, and not sure why he hasn't done this. Am I missing something?

-Mark
Guys,
I think you are missing something. I’ve tried everything you are mentioning already.
I have not actually measured it, but took the mount itself to the hardware store. ( with the bolt above it ) We tried every bolt in stock. As stated, no luck at a very big local store. It did not measure out and match anything in stock ?
In addition I took it to my local drum shop that sold me the set.
There are more steps that can be taken. I’ll keep the mount in the car and try every hardware store I pass until it’s solved.
My main reason for posting this was to have a drummer with lots of actual drum key bolts in a bin, volunteer to sell me a few logical options. No one has said yes.
The hardware store solution will not be a drum part, but a last resort.
Thanks for the comments, and support on this very small issue.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So, what thread size and pitch is the key bolt in the upper hole? The hole that you are having the issue with should be the same. Is it possible to re-tap that hole to what the top hole is, or are the interior threads damaged? Just trying to figure all this out, as I'm sure you've also done...while not pulling out too much of your hair!!

-Mark

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The hardware guy did have a test board but mine did not fit any. So I never got the actual thread and pitch numbers. Hopefully the next store I hit will be able to give me the numbers and also the right bolt.
I’m off to the country where I might find an old school hardware store.
I did go to a mechanic to ask about re tapping the hole.
He wouldn’ t do it and suggested a machine shop, although he might not want to take on this little job? I also thought I might buy my own tapping kit, but I probably would mess it up.
The saga goes on until I am victorious

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,
The owner of GMS just responded.
He states that the size would have been 12-24. He offered to do the re tapping for me if I can’t find one.
That new size would be 1/4- 20, and it would not have a drum key head.
Not the end of the world. None of these numbers mean much to me as I am not saavy in this area.
The offer on his part is appreciated
He also mentioned that 12-24 is standard tension rod size, and that I could cut one down and it would work.
That may be an option.
In addition, I just went to another hardware store with the mount, and again nothing matched up in their stock.
So that’s 2 good hardware stores where I struck out.
I do find that a bit strange. It seems drum hardware is a bit specific.
I’ll eventually get to the bottom of this and find a solution.
I feel a bit badly about taking up everyone’s time on such a small issue.
Thanks to all that have responded.
The hole shall be filled somehow.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So...it's a 12-24 thread. Now, that is bizarre!! While 12-24 is the standard thread size and pitch for tension rods, I've never seen it used for a key bolt. But, this is an easy one as suggested...just get a tension rod and cut it down. The only real issue is that it might be difficult to find tension rods with threads all the way up to the collar. Although I don't think you'd need to have the threading that far up. So, you're on your way to finally getting this resolved. Yay!!

And, yes, drum hardware bolts can be specific. As you found out, there aren't any 12-24 thread screws and bolts out there!

-Mark

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mission Accomplished.
Long Island Drum Center to the rescue.
Frank, the owner dug very deep into the parts bin.
Appears to be an older thumb screw bolt that fit like a glove
Seek, And Ye Shall Find

Attachments

Latest posts