Need a Crash to Match This Ride

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently picked up this K Custom dry light ride and she is a beauty.

I'd like to get a crash that would pair well with her, but I'm pretty sure Zildjian doesn't make any in this discontinued series. So what crash, in the Zildjian family, would work well with this ride?

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/user-200385083%2Fzil-k-ldrmp3

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not to dodge the question, but almost anything could work. The dryness of this ride will result in a perceived quietness out front, so I'd go small and/or thin and/or dry.

My suggestions:

Are you looking for contrast? 17" bog-standard A Thin Crash, or Avedis

Similarity? 18" Kerope, 17" Special Dry Crash

Off the beaten path? COD or Raw

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Special dry crash
This would have been my suggestion too, although it can be tough to get a good one. Some are really too dry and clangy. You might try a K Custom Dark crash if you don’t want the incredibly short decay that the Special Dry can sometimes have.

You said you want to stay with Zildjian, but if you were open to others I would say Bosphorus Master Vintage. I have one in an 18 that is just perfect (sorry, not for sale). The Agop Turk crashes are really nice too.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you want to keep it lower - and delve down in darkness or add a Brighter 'A' element-into the mixture (ha) any 18 or 19

I'd place one of your Italian 18"'s next with it

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you want to keep it lower - and delve down in darkness or add a Brighter 'A' element-into the mixture (ha) any 18 or 19

I'd place one of your Italian 18"'s next with it

I'd like to keep it on the lower darker range. My Kashian could possibly work, and I already have it!

You might try a K Custom Dark crash if you don’t want the incredibly short decay that the Special Dry can sometimes have.

K Custom Dark is on my short list. Good call!
Not to dodge the question, but almost anything could work. The dryness of this ride will result in a perceived quietness out front, so I'd go small and/or thin and/or dry.

My suggestions:

Similarity? 18" Kerope, 17" Special Dry Crash

Off the beaten path? COD or Raw

I love the thought of the Kerope! I hadn't thought of that one. Forget the raw stuff. Tried that stuff with Agop and hated them. So unmusical!

Good stuff fellas!

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That’s a fine cymbal.

Wondering what sort of application you intend on using it for. Some people like crashes that are from the same series, etc. Me, since I’m typically only taking a crash and a ride, I want the crash to have some contrast to the ride.

That ride is both wonderfully dry but with some chime in it. The dryness translates to a softer sound over a pattern because I’m not hearing the buildup that to my ear equals a sort of amplification from wash. The rumble underneath accentuates the ping, but it’s not a hard ping, at least to me.

So I’d want a crash that compliments with maybe a slightly slower bloom and lower fundamental tone, something like larger Kerope, a 19 or 20.

The lower toned crash cymbal will complement the dryness in the ride, while not exactly sounding dry. (I really don’t like dry crashes except for an effects cymbal, which I don’t use. I’d rather do a quick choke-grab on a regular crash.)

It will also provide a longer sustain in contrast to the ride, and the possibility of some light riding as well. If you want less sustain, I think an 18 Kerope (which I have and can attest to) has a shorter sustain.

If you are playing loud music, disregard the above since I don’t think a Kerope would totally cut it. In that case maybe some K Sweets. On the other hand I’m not sure your ride would work well at a louder volume since the complexities would get lost.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheapest one..so far

going to be racking up some bills Jimmy!

I advise against it

Lennykenard

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
K custom darks are great. Just got a 16” and it’s quite low pitched, with a fast attack and quick decay. Great cymbal, great series of cymbals.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a fine cymbal.

Wondering what sort of application you intend on using it for. Some people like crashes that are from the same series, etc. Me, since I’m typically only taking a crash and a ride, I want the crash to have some contrast to the ride.

That ride is both wonderfully dry but with some chime in it. The dryness translates to a softer sound over a pattern because I’m not hearing the buildup that to my ear equals a sort of amplification from wash. The rumble underneath accentuates the ping, but it’s not a hard ping, at least to me.

So I’d want a crash that compliments with maybe a slightly slower bloom and lower fundamental tone, something like larger Kerope, a 19 or 20.

The lower toned crash cymbal will complement the dryness in the ride, while not exactly sounding dry. (I really don’t like dry crashes except for an effects cymbal, which I don’t use. I’d rather do a quick choke-grab on a regular crash.)

It will also provide a longer sustain in contrast to the ride, and the possibility of some light riding as well. If you want less sustain, I think an 18 Kerope (which I have and can attest to) has a shorter sustain.

If you are playing loud music, disregard the above since I don’t think a Kerope would totally cut it. In that case maybe some K Sweets. On the other hand I’m not sure your ride would work well at a louder volume since the complexities would get lost.

Thanks CC.

This would be for a lower volume jazz situation. It has the dryness I want, but a nice wash so it doesn't die off to quickly when you leave it. Perfect. I've been playing it along with a 20" light flat ride that I picked up which is another lovely ride cymbal, so I'm covered on rides for softer music. I have old As and Kashian's, which are very similar to the A's for higher volume.

I love the Kerope series, and I'm leaning that way for this set up. That might be the ticket.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheapest one..so far

going to be racking up some bills Jimmy!

I advise against it

It's the last one to complete the set. Then - wait for it - I'M DONE!!! :lol:

Likely an after Christmas treat. This is a little reward for what I went through this last year. I'm not giving it all to the nursing homes Joe!!! Besides, I still have to sell that Paiste!

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
What about those special dry crashes? That is, if you want it to have a similar character. Otherwise, most any regular K or K sweet or K custom crashes all sound great for a pretty traditional type of sound.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about those special dry crashes? That is, if you want it to have a similar character. Otherwise, most any regular K or K sweet or K custom crashes all sound great for a pretty traditional type of sound.

If you're talking about those super raw, uncut cymbals, then no way. To dry, to unmusical. I'd go for an 18" Uptown Ride before those.

I actually threw my 18" Kashian into the mix and it sounded pretty darn good. I'm leaning towards a Kerope though. I've been giving them a listen and they would fit well I think.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you're talking about those super raw, uncut cymbals, then no way. To dry, to unmusical. I'd go for an 18" Uptown Ride before those.

I actually threw my 18" Kashian into the mix and it sounded pretty darn good. I'm leaning towards a Kerope though. I've been giving them a listen and they would fit well I think.

I’m not fond of those dry crashes myself. The Kerope would be a great addition, and they’re more crash/rides anyway. I have an 18” Kerope that I like a lot. Could be used as a light left side ride too.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not fond of those dry crashes myself. The Kerope would be a great addition, and they’re more crash/rides anyway. I have an 18” Kerope that I like a lot. Could be used as a light left side ride too.

Yeah, it's good to have a cymbal set-up where all of them can be a ride. That's another reason to look to an 18 or 19" Kerope.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're talking about those super raw, uncut cymbals, then no way. To dry, to unmusical.
You may be thinking about the raw FX crash that we have all lampooned a bit. When people here say “Special Dry” they are taking about a subset of K Customs. Like this:
0BC6FC16-1D34-47A4-9ACF-E594539F37B7.png

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may be thinking about the raw FX crash that we have all lampooned a bit. When people here say “Special Dry” they are taking about a subset of K Customs. Like this:
View attachment 532231

Thanks for clarifying. I was actually thinking of those lampooned raw FX cymbals. I like dry cymbals, but those things are a gimmick, hopefully a short lived gimmick.