Need a cutting, loud RIDE for classic rock

tomtomz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, this bargain Saluda ride sounds good! It is very shimmery (like a thin) and has a lot of sticking clarity. It is very loud, and has a great stick feel.

It has not been gigged yet.

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
tomtomz said:
Wow, this bargain Saluda ride sounds good! It is very shimmery (like a thin) and has a lot of sticking clarity. It is very loud, and has a great stick feel.

It has not been gigged yet.
I'm very happy with my Saludas, too, though I have them for different effects. Of the 5 I've bought, 3 were keepers, and Jamie from Drum Gear Online let me return the 17" Voodoo which was too clangy for my tastes. (I told him what I was looking for in a China after I won a different auction, and he suggested the Voodoo.) I was very impressed with this customer service.

The other non-keeper is an 8" mini-china which also doesn't work with my setup, and is being donated to the kid in the "Young drummer facing a challenge" thread. I love the other 3.

http://www.drumforum...&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
You stated earlier that you wanted a LOUD mofo ...

Sabian has what you are probably looking for in the new APX line .... it's all about the stick definition and ping. There are two types the regular and the Solid .... You'll want the Solid 24" ride. It's not expensive for what it is.

Major caveat though ... it will not sound as good in the store or by itself as it will in the band mix. There are some characteristics of the cymbal that are needed for the presence it brings to the "PING!" but they get lost in the shuffle which is as it should be.

Check out the issue of DRUM! with John Dolmayan on the cover and there is an excellent and very objective review of the APX line.

I'm normally a Paiste fan and would agree with most of the Paiste selections mentioned heretofore but if you want quadruple-forte-mutha-freaking-loud then this is probably the cymbal for you.

Robb

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I picked up a used 20" K Custom Dry Ride a couple weeks ago. It's loud and pingy. I'm thinking about giving it a try at my gig tomorrow night as an auxillary ride off to the side (if I can squeeze it in). I don't want to swap out my regular ride over the bass drum because I like to be able to crash it (I use either an A Custom 20" Ping or a 20" K Zildjian Pre-Aged Dry Light Ride, both of which open up very nicely) but on some songs it would be nice to have a heavier and more defined ping (or more accurately "Ting") available. It has a great bell sound too. It's a bit too dry for my tastes when I'm playing at home but I bet in the context of a band it will work well...although it may turn out to be a one trick pony...although I will still have the other pony right there to do its tricks.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Keep an eye peeled for a 20" Paiste Signature Series ride.