header.nohb.html

Need a drum rug for home kit

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking for an inexpensive rug for my home kit. I figured some here would have some good and inexpensive alternatives. Please sure your best ideas. Thanks

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your budget and what's your tolerence? You could check with carpet stores for remenents/seconds maybe even ask what they do with carpet they remove when laying down new carpet.

Here, near Boston there are a few furniture stores that have outlet locations...and there's a company called Ocean State Job Lots that has discounted 'stuff'....i bought a patio carpet from them I'm using in my basement....i had bought it for another use but it seems to work ok for the drums

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looking for an inexpensive rug for my home kit. I figured some here would have some good and inexpensive alternatives. Please sure your best ideas. Thanks
Most guys would say to go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a small industrial one with a rubber back which would be perfect for gigging too. I kinda wish I got one. Someone gave me this neat little Oriental style rug I like and use a lot. I also got a cheap one off wayfair.com but my pedals slide on it sometimes. Also, I see sometimes people on OfferUp, the Nextdoor app, and Facebook marketplace selling nice rugs in good condition and for reasonable.

CC Cirillo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Depends on your budget and tastes.

51EE3A1D-7573-4855-8731-F28F3CAE0FA7.png

Me? I would hit up IKEA. Take the family, make an afternoon of it, get a little fika.

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Get a cheap rug at cheap department store. Maybe 3 feet x 5 feet. I have a 5 ft. x 7 ft. and it's too big.

Wideglyd

Reaction score
Bought a cool “oriental” style rug at IKEA for my gig kit..$50.00. I’ve been using it for a few months and it’s working great although it isn’t Velcro friendly.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
A commercial size (double door), doormat with a rubber bottom is great for gigging. Got mine for about $12 at Home Depot. If you need bigger, you can get a piece of carpet cut to your spec. at Home Depot! Mine was about $15 for a 5x5 piece. My prices are surely outdated, but, these should still be the least expensive options and work very well.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We just installed new flooring in my drum room so I'm in the same boat in terms of looking for a drum rug. We went with Luxury Vinyl and I've read that you need to avoid throw rugs with rubber backing because the gassing effect can discolor the flooring. I went to a carpet store and found a remnant that they will cut to size and bind for a fairly reasonable price, although not as cheap as the 5x7 throw rugs you find in local retail stores.

Previously, I had used those rubber mats they sell for home exercise equipment,

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you are not picky, Lowes and Home Depot sell odd-sized remnants in the back that are leftovers from flooring jobs.
I saw a 10x12 piece for about $15-20 earlier this summer.

Blue Zurich

Reaction score
Try the discount Home stores, i.e. TJ Max types. Persian style 5 x 8's for $30-50. If needed get a roll of 2 sided carpet tape for the corners.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
no different than any other room rug
(who said the internet made us smarter)

Last edited:

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a 1/4” Diamond plate black rubber mat that normally is used to line van floors from American Van . Nothing moves . Little pricey though .

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Your question is well addressed above. My take, or parameters, is/are the department store/Home Depot/Lowes area rugs ranging from the $70 coarse indoor outdoor rubber backed ones to the polyethylene faux oriental jobs between $160 and several hundred smackers. I have one of each. Not sure but I think they are roughly 4' or 5' by 8'.

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never had any luck with carpet remnants or any kind of area rugs. Without a heavy rubber backing, the rug itself just bunches up and moves under me.

I've always used either drum-specific rugs (the pentagon shaped MAPA Drumat is fantastic, but it looks like it's discontinued) or commercial entryway mats.