Need a recommendation for a professional-level, all-around, versatile cymbal set

Tymp2002

Reaction score
If you could only own one set of cymbals for gigging; what would they be? (Ride, hats, 2 crashes, one aux.)

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
you mean like if yeh lived in north Korea or something?
Old K Zildjians if and when you could get em.
never played a gig in where they didn't perform most appropriately.
Musically equal to any instrument anywhere ever produced in the history of music. True symphonic-level.
consistently; unfazed by any atmospheric, environmental, acoustic ,or any circumstance. (and that's rare..)
I might take a modern or two for tomorrows gig. Just to be contrary

Last edited:

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you could only own one set of cymbals for gigging; what would they be? (Ride, hats, 2 crashes, one aux.)
You'll need to be more specific, as evidenced by JDA's typical level of response. He's recommending a set that will cost thousands of dollars, and might take a long time to piece together.

Are you talking about something that can be bought at a big brand store? New or used? Ordered online? A set that is sold together in a pack, or a set that you piece together a la carte from a product line? When you say "professional level" do you just mean "not beginner level crap" or do you mean top tier stuff?

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi hats: Zildjian K Mastersound, 13"
Ride: Zildjian "Avedis" A22R 22"
Crash #1: Zildjian K Dark 16"
Crash #2: Zildjian K Dark 18"
Auxilliary: Zildjian K 10" Splash

Pretty simple for me, and based mostly on experience.

GeeDeeEmm

Tymp2002

Reaction score
You'll need to be more specific, as evidenced by JDA's typical level of response. He's recommending a set that will cost thousands of dollars, and might take a long time to piece together.

Are you talking about something that can be bought at a big brand store? New or used? Ordered online? A set that is sold together in a pack, or a set that you piece together a la carte from a product line? When you say "professional level" do you just mean "not beginner level crap" or do you mean top tier stuff?
Something you can buy today - not beginner level crap - these would be your go-to set for playing a gig today such as classic rock at a bar - or maybe top 40 country at that same bar on a different night...

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have these.

I love them. A bunch of old As will do the same thing, though.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Without knowing your budget for a cymbal set, I'll suggest an economical option that checks all your description boxes.

Good ol' Sabian AA. They work very well for almost any style or genre.

I have just over $500 into the set shown below, all bought used individually here and from Ebay.

SabianAAFamily.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
JDA's typical level of response. He's recommending a set that will cost thousands of dollars, and might take a long time to piece together.
old Ks 20, 18, 14s- 1500$-1800$ within a month on ebay/reverb In your possession within a week. A Once one-shot. ...vs. 10-15 years of buying, flipping, trading, tripping, selling, buying back, returning and buying back again;....tens of 200$/400$- cymbals over a decade+ - figure over time, the math.

Last edited:

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I do want to specify on mine as well. I specifically chose those models because of what I already said about them, and the fact that they come in sets that work together. You don't have to buy 2-3 of each item hoping that it sonically matches with the other ones you bought (Because even cymbals of the same line can easily have problems.). Buy the set and they're way more likely to be matched well compared to buying singles, and easier to return if you don't like the overall sound.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's easy if I know what I am mostly going to be playing.

But is there a wrong answer going with *any* of the "old" standards?

Zildjian As and Ks new or old....
Sabian AAs or HH\X
Paiste 602\MEs/2002s

I can't think if one reason I couldn't get by with ANY of those brands\lines....

Thinking: if you can't make it work with a set of those....

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Paiste Signatures. But that would be a one time purchase for life.

Other values:

Zildjian K once demo'd sets (hats, 16,18, 20) at $710
Zildjian A's A391 pack barely used (hats, 16 med thin, 18 med thin, 21 sweet ride at $450-$500.
Zildjian A customs sets - barely used - $500-$550.

With picking older A's, K's, 602's, etc. you'll spend eternity trying to find a matching set like JDA says. Best way is to find some older guy selling out and buy their set intact after trying it out.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have these.

I love them. A bunch of old As will do the same thing, though.
I have that except instead of a 20" Thin I have a 19" Thin. (I pieced it together), it's a great sounding combination and works well for everything.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm learning that one needs to just go to a well-supplied drum shop and select the pies they think sound the best.
The variance from cymbal to cymbal in any brand is enough for me to think "brand/make be damned!"

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
This shouldn'teven be a question. If I were you Iwould have already bought these

Latest posts