Need a Suggestion for Funk/R&B Ride

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Please describe what sort of change you're looking for. What tunes/links do you hear it on? Then we can give you better answers.

R

RickP

Some suggestions for you by brand :

Paiste
22" 2002 Heavy ride
20" Signature Dry Heavy ride
22" Paiste Dark Energy Mk 2 ride

Zildjian
20" K Custom ride
22" K Custom Organic ride
20" K Custom Dry ride
20" K Custom Session ride

Sabian
21" HH Raw Bell Dry ride
21" HHX Raw Bell Dry ride

These are some that I have experience with that would work well

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
RIDDIM said:
Please describe what sort of change you're looking for. What tunes/links do you hear it on? Then we can give you better answers.
James Brown/Sharon Jones/Earth Wind an fire

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
21" HHX groove ride. Some I've heard sound better than others but none as good as the one own. Desert island pie.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
kenshireen1 said:
James Brown/Sharon Jones/Earth Wind an fire
Pretty sure both Stubblefield and Stark (James Brown) both endorse Meinl

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Oooooh you gone and dunnitnow. We might have silly degenerate arguments about drum solos that go on for weeks and 10 pages, but you're gonna incur the wrath of the mods creating a cymbal topic here in the General discussion.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Most Funk and R&B is driven by the hats. The Ride is used minimally and mostly for the bell than anything else.
Anything on the clean bright dry side would probably do just fine. Not to loud. A 602 Paiste 20 would be a good choice.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used my 20" Zildjian Rock ride for that type of music for many years. Worked just fine...

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
phoster said:
22" Zildjian K Dark Medium
These are nice, and I'm actually using one for blues/r'n'b-gig. It doesn't lack volume and projection if we need to play outside festivals etc. BUT it sounds really musical on lower volumes too, not clangy or harsh, which many bit heavier rides do.
I actually have 2 that are almost identical, bought first one 2nd hand and then found another quite cheap too, so I couldn't resist getting it for a reserve. BUT I remember trying a third one years ago, and that was thicker individual and didn't sound as good.

LimaPop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The best funk cymbal I've played is the Paiste Signature Rough Ride..... not in production but still some in circulation.

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
I always thought Paiste 602s sounded nice for this kind of stuff, but leaning more toward the R&B side.

Latest posts