Need a throw off? What about the Ludwig P88AC?

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are great throw offs! Solid, easy on the eye, and directly address some of the long-standing issues of the P-85. I have one on a modern BB, and it functions flawlessly.

Ptrick

Reaction score
That’s a great price. I use the inde strainer now. They are working on a retrofit butt plate currently. The inde strainer fits Ludwig holes, but the butt not yet.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's a great strainer! Ludwig really redeemed themselves with this one, especially after they took a beating from the drumming community on the first version! I already purchased one, at the noted price of $39.99 and FREE shipping! Pictures included!

I recently installed it on a custom NOB (Worldmax) shell, using parts from a Blackcrolite. The hoops are 3.0mm!

The new P35 butt can be retrofitted to shells that use the P32. You will have to modify the P35, though. Not that difficult to do. The holes are already there, but not threaded. I just tapped it for an 8-32 thread. The other issue is that the butt comes with rubber gaskets. Each gasket has a small "nub" that fits into the non-threaded hole. You have to slice off the nub and drill through the gasket so the included 8-32 screw will work. Overall, not that difficult. The results were superb!

-Mark

Attachments

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I upgraded my new-to-me COB Supra with one recently and it and the updated butt are very nice.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I put a P88AC strainer and butt on my LM402. Works great, the knob has detents yet can still be adjusted when the snares are engaged. Definitely an improvement over the P85 and more robust than the P86, both of which I had on this drum previously.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been looking to replace the crappy P85 to the P88AC. I also looked at the P86 but I find it ugly for my Blacrolite and I've read that the P88AC works better. As idrum4fun stated, you would need to modify the P35 butt. If you go to Drumsonsale.com they offer modifying it for you if you contact them before buying the P88 from them. That's what I will be doing when I buy it. I bought my Blacro from them and their service was good. They too sell the P88 for $39.99. Here is the direct link if you need it. Read the bottom of the product description and they explain about the modification:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
lrod1701 is correct about using Drums on Sale if you need to have the P35 tapped for the supplied 8-32 screws. It's only an additional $7 and well worth it. They seem to be the only online supplier who even mentions the issues of using the P35 to replace the P32. That huge hunk of metal, known as the P33, was ugly! I know that many of you love the P86 strainer, but I've just never been a fan. It looks good on certain drums, but for most of Ludwig's snare drums, the new P88/P35 offering is the way to go.

-Mark

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't like this throw. Every time I've tried it (on new snares in stores), the knob was very difficult to turn, especially with snares engaged. Not sure if they needed to be broken in or just oiled, but it's been consistently stiff. Also, the knob is thin and the stubs are uncomfortable. I so much prefer the P85 knob.........maybe if they changed the knob and fattened it up, and if you oiled it, it may be better.

But I'll stick to the P85. Even the P86, which I have on a few snares, and as cool as it looks, is a pain to tune. I still can't figure out which way to turn the thing....

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't like this throw. Every time I've tried it (on new snares in stores), the knob was very difficult to turn, especially with snares engaged. Not sure if they needed to be broken in or just oiled, but it's been consistently stiff. Also, the knob is thin and the stubs are uncomfortable. I so much prefer the P85 knob.........maybe if they changed the knob and fattened it up, and if you oiled it, it may be better.

But I'll stick to the P85. Even the P86, which I have on a few snares, and as cool as it looks, is a pain to tune. I still can't figure out which way to turn the thing....
I'm not positive on this but they did have a P85AC didn't they originally and the big flaw was you couldn't turn the knob when snares engaged...the P88AC looks the same but they fixed that issue and I think some others (longer handle maybe?) ....but you're right it doesn't turn easily and I think that is by design to try to hold the tension better, yet I never had issues with the 85 losing tension. I like the 88 but again never had a bad 85, I know some have and seems like it was more the past few years that bad 85's were out there.

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Quick cautionary tale from the Facebooks: Not all P32 mountings have the perfect hole spacing. Some folks have found that even with the new butt tapped, it will not fit perfectly where a P32 once lived. Either Ludwig could be a little sloppy drilling the shell (the DW hawks pounce!), or P32's were a little different over the years.

-Ryan

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Quick cautionary tale from the Facebooks: Not all P32 mountings have the perfect hole spacing. Some folks have found that even with the new butt tapped, it will not fit perfectly where a P32 once lived. Either Ludwig could be a little sloppy drilling the shell (the DW hawks pounce!), or P32's were a little different over the years.

-Ryan
You are correct! If anyone plans to use the new P35 in place of the P32, make sure that the hole spacing is 2-3/16". I don't think I ever had a vintage Ludwig snare that didn't have the correct spacing, but newer models, when ordered with the P32, may not be correct. I submit my 2016 CM Jazz Fest as proof! The included P32 butt was bent from the factory, so the holes were drilled to match. Forget about using a better P32 or fixing the existing one! As you can see, once I straightened out the P32, I had to re-drill....for 2-3/16"!! Thanks Ludwig!

-Mark

Attachments

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To answer some issues mentioned in above posts, yes, the original P85ac had a really thin knob and was very difficult to turn...especially in the "on" position. The new P88ac has the wider knob and you can feel the detents when turned. It's a really nice strainer! Unfortunately, there are still lots of Ludwig snare drums, sitting in music stores and un-sold online inventory, that still have the older version. If I were to receive one of these drums, I'd be contacting Ludwig about a free P88 replacement!

-Mark

Attachments

Mike St.Clair

Reaction score
Guess I will see what comes on my new LM400 when it arrives in a month or two. I don't remember having issues with my Blacrolite so far.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Too bad. The P85 is great strainer, when you get one that works.

I've had P85's that worked great and others that sucked. I'd throw them off, and when I tried to throw them back on, they would jam up.

Instead of coming up with all these new designs, Ludwig should have fixed the P85 to make it consistent. If you have a good one, you can tweak the snare tension when the snares are on. I don't like these newer strainers with the "bumps" in the tension knob. You can't fine-tune them.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Too bad. The P85 is great strainer, when you get one that works.

I've had P85's that worked great and others that sucked. I'd throw them off, and when I tried to throw them back on, they would jam up.

Instead of coming up with all these new designs, Ludwig should have fixed the P85 to make it consistent. If you have a good one, you can tweak the snare tension when the snares are on. I don't like these newer strainers with the "bumps" in the tension knob. You can't fine-tune them.
Each "bump" has a very small effect on snare tension. I always have to move it several bumps to have any audible effect. That should not be a cause for concern about this design. Make a new P85 or even a P83? That may have satisfied us vintage fans but not likely the majority of new equipment buyers.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ron, I've only had a few P85's that jammed up and a little bit of WD40 always did the trick. Otherwise, when they work, they are so smooth and easy to use.

Blue, as for the P85AC vs. P88, I didn't realize they changed the design - so maybe it is "good" for me now......??? I will check it out next time I'm at Bentley's...next week!

Finally, I put a script 60's P32 butt on a 3x13 Ludwig import piccolo - the holes were slightly narrower than those on the shell, so I simply bent out the arms that mount to the shell and it fit perfectly.....no issues there!

dangermoney

Reaction score
I specified the P88AC and P35 butt plate on a special order CM snare that I purchased about 6 weeks ago. Like blueshadow, I've never had issues with any of my P85s and I have a couple of gigging snares with P86s but I decided to go with the P88AC / P35 instead since I've heard so many good things about it. Glad I did - it's a great system ...

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I will say the only enhancement I wish they would make to the p88, is to add a drum key turnable spot to the top of the strainer. I have smaller hands and they're not getting any younger and maybe because it's very new and hasn't been broken-in yet, but it's rough to set. The P85 knock-off on my Breakbeat has this and it's a good feature.

Latest posts