Need a throw off? What about the Ludwig P88AC?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm gonna take Jazzdrumguy's advice on lubricating the P85. I've never done that!
Maybe it will make it smoother. If it works, I'll keep it and not have to invest on the P88AC.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm gonna take Jazzdrumguy's advice on lubricating the P85. I've never done that!
Maybe it will make it smoother. If it works, I'll keep it and not have to invest on the P88AC.
C'mon lrod! You know you want to at least TRY the new P88AC! $40 is a small price to pay. The worst that could happen is you're not crazy about it, but can hang onto it for another Ludwig snare drum. Don't get me wrong, I love the P83 and P85 strainers, both vintage and modern versions. Try it...you'll like it!

-Mark

Last edited:

happyshump

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a P85AC on my 402. I’ve Got no problem with not being able to adjust it whilst it’s engaged. I didn’t find it a hassle to disengage the wires to adjust them. What’s the big deal with that?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
C'mon lrod! You know you want to at least TRY the new P88AC! $40 is a small price to pay. The worst that could happen is you're not crazy about it, but can hang onto to it for another Ludwig snare drum. Don't get me wrong, I love the P83 and P85 strainers, both vintage and modern versions. Try it...you'll like it!

-Mark
You guys are a bunch of enablers!:confused:
Now I'm gonna have to go and spend the money to try it out:p

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a P85AC on my 402. I’ve Got no problem with not being able to adjust it whilst it’s engaged. I didn’t find it a hassle to disengage the wires to adjust them. What’s the big deal with that?
There are still quite a few Ludwig snare drums at Pro Drum Shop in Hollywood, CA, with these P85AC strainers. Every one of them were next to impossible to turn while in the "on" position. That, plus the thin knob hurt my fingers! Maybe you got lucky with yours? In any event, all this is why Ludwig went back to the drawing board and came out with the P88AC. A fine strainer and worthy successor to the venerable P85, which will still be offered for those of us that love them!

I've never bent the stamped steel lever on a P85 or P83, simply because I'm not hard on strainers. But, for those who need, or require, a more beefy strainer, the P88AC will stand up to more rigorous handling, without the fear of the new die cast lever bending.

-Mark

Last edited:

happyshump

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are still quite a few Ludwig snare drums at Pro Drum Shop in Hollywood, CA, with these P85AC strainers. Every one of them were next to impossible to turn while in the "on" position. That, plus the thin knob hurt my fingers! Maybe you got lucky with yours? In any event, all this is why Ludwig went back to the drawing board and came out with the P88AC. A fine strainer and worthy successor to the venerable P85, which will still be offered for those of us that love them!

I've never bent the stamped steel lever on a P85 or P83, simply because I'm not hard on strainers. But, for those who need, or require, a more beefy strainer, the P88AC will stand up to more rigorous handling, without the fear of the new die cast lever bending.

-Mark
No, I’m saying it’s not too much trouble for me to disengage my strainer to adjust the wires. It takes seconds. Oh that’s right, a few seconds of someone’s life is an eternity these days!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No, I’m saying it’s not too much trouble for me to disengage my strainer to adjust the wires. It takes seconds. Oh that’s right, a few seconds of someone’s life is an eternity these days!
happyshump!

You are correct that it's not that difficult to do. However, the bigger issue is that we, as drummers, shouldn't have to do this! Are there any other strainers out there that require you to put it in the "off" position to adjust tension? For myself, I like to be able to adjust wire tension while in the "on" position. Also, having detents gives an even greater accuracy...for those that need it!

-Mark

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I will say the only enhancement I wish they would make to the p88, is to add a drum key turnable spot to the top of the strainer. I have smaller hands and they're not getting any younger and maybe because it's very new and hasn't been broken-in yet, but it's rough to set. The P85 knock-off on my Breakbeat has this and it's a good feature.
Can you swap the adjusters between those two throw-off's?

Drumceet

Reaction score
I bought the P-86 for my vintage Supra and I couldn’t be happier. Not only does it suit the hammered look of the snare, but it works fantastic as well. Highly recommended.

F8D79B69-85F3-4858-8F50-0123B973DFBB.jpeg

Latest posts