Need a throw off? What about the Ludwig P88AC?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm gonna take Jazzdrumguy's advice on lubricating the P85. I've never done that!
Maybe it will make it smoother. If it works, I'll keep it and not have to invest on the P88AC.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm gonna take Jazzdrumguy's advice on lubricating the P85. I've never done that!
Maybe it will make it smoother. If it works, I'll keep it and not have to invest on the P88AC.
C'mon lrod! You know you want to at least TRY the new P88AC! $40 is a small price to pay. The worst that could happen is you're not crazy about it, but can hang onto it for another Ludwig snare drum. Don't get me wrong, I love the P83 and P85 strainers, both vintage and modern versions. Try it...you'll like it!

-Mark

Last edited:

happyshump

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a P85AC on my 402. I’ve Got no problem with not being able to adjust it whilst it’s engaged. I didn’t find it a hassle to disengage the wires to adjust them. What’s the big deal with that?

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
C'mon lrod! You know you want to at least TRY the new P88AC! $40 is a small price to pay. The worst that could happen is you're not crazy about it, but can hang onto to it for another Ludwig snare drum. Don't get me wrong, I love the P83 and P85 strainers, both vintage and modern versions. Try it...you'll like it!

-Mark
You guys are a bunch of enablers!:confused:
Now I'm gonna have to go and spend the money to try it out:p

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a P85AC on my 402. I’ve Got no problem with not being able to adjust it whilst it’s engaged. I didn’t find it a hassle to disengage the wires to adjust them. What’s the big deal with that?
There are still quite a few Ludwig snare drums at Pro Drum Shop in Hollywood, CA, with these P85AC strainers. Every one of them were next to impossible to turn while in the "on" position. That, plus the thin knob hurt my fingers! Maybe you got lucky with yours? In any event, all this is why Ludwig went back to the drawing board and came out with the P88AC. A fine strainer and worthy successor to the venerable P85, which will still be offered for those of us that love them!

I've never bent the stamped steel lever on a P85 or P83, simply because I'm not hard on strainers. But, for those who need, or require, a more beefy strainer, the P88AC will stand up to more rigorous handling, without the fear of the new die cast lever bending.

-Mark

Last edited:

happyshump

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are still quite a few Ludwig snare drums at Pro Drum Shop in Hollywood, CA, with these P85AC strainers. Every one of them were next to impossible to turn while in the "on" position. That, plus the thin knob hurt my fingers! Maybe you got lucky with yours? In any event, all this is why Ludwig went back to the drawing board and came out with the P88AC. A fine strainer and worthy successor to the venerable P85, which will still be offered for those of us that love them!

I've never bent the stamped steel lever on a P85 or P83, simply because I'm not hard on strainers. But, for those who need, or require, a more beefy strainer, the P88AC will stand up to more rigorous handling, without the fear of the new die cast lever bending.

-Mark
No, I’m saying it’s not too much trouble for me to disengage my strainer to adjust the wires. It takes seconds. Oh that’s right, a few seconds of someone’s life is an eternity these days!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No, I’m saying it’s not too much trouble for me to disengage my strainer to adjust the wires. It takes seconds. Oh that’s right, a few seconds of someone’s life is an eternity these days!
happyshump!

You are correct that it's not that difficult to do. However, the bigger issue is that we, as drummers, shouldn't have to do this! Are there any other strainers out there that require you to put it in the "off" position to adjust tension? For myself, I like to be able to adjust wire tension while in the "on" position. Also, having detents gives an even greater accuracy...for those that need it!

-Mark

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I will never understand some people’s need to defend poor designs, when objectively better designs already exist.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I will say the only enhancement I wish they would make to the p88, is to add a drum key turnable spot to the top of the strainer. I have smaller hands and they're not getting any younger and maybe because it's very new and hasn't been broken-in yet, but it's rough to set. The P85 knock-off on my Breakbeat has this and it's a good feature.
Can you swap the adjusters between those two throw-off's?

Drumceet

Reaction score
I bought the P-86 for my vintage Supra and I couldn’t be happier. Not only does it suit the hammered look of the snare, but it works fantastic as well. Highly recommended.

F8D79B69-85F3-4858-8F50-0123B973DFBB.jpeg

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, fellas. (and thank you Ptrick for this sweet '76 Acrolite) Just finished tapping the butt plate last night and I used a leather hole punch to cut clean holes in the rubber gaskets. Worked great. I realy like the P88AC so far. The knob is a little hard to turn but if you look at how it works, the plastic notches might round off over time and begin to feel smoother. That or one could sand them down by hand if it were a real issue.
Between this throw and my newer Atlas Pro II snare stand, I'm really impressed with Ludwig's modern hardware.

IMAG1348.jpg
IMAG1355.jpg
IMAG1356.jpg
IMAG1357.jpg
IMAG1358.jpg

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I bought the P-86 for my vintage Supra and I couldn’t be happier. Not only does it suit the hammered look of the snare, but it works fantastic as well. Highly recommended.

View attachment 400315
I tried a P-86. It worked well, but the hinge pin on the strainer kept working itself out of place. I had to keep pushing it back in with my finger. Just a bad design.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am genuinely astonished that anyone can take a brand new product and say “this thing is great, all I had to do was punch new holes and tap new threads before I could use it. The plastic parts turn stiffly and seem like they’ll wear down. I like it!”

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am genuinely astonished that anyone can take a brand new product and say “this thing is great, all I had to do was punch new holes and tap new threads before I could use it. The plastic parts turn stiffly and seem like they’ll wear down. I like it!”
Ludwig chose not to tap the P35 for P32 spacing, but the blank holes are there. As to the small rubber gasket, you really don't have to use it if you don't want. For myself, and many other, I have all the tools I need to apply such an easy upgrade. And remember, we're only talking about retrofitting the P32 butt with the new P35 butt. If you already have a P32, you don't have to install the P35. However, it's a great replacement for the ugly, and large, P33! I also completely forgot that I have that hole-punching tool pictured above. It would have been easy for me to punch holes in the included gaskets.

And, yes, I do feel that the new P88/P35 is a great new product! While I still have both the P83 and P85 strainers on many of my drums, I'm glad that Ludwig has finally introduced a more modern strainer that looks, and works, great! The good part is that all their strainers have a vertical hole spacing of 2.5", so you can use your favorite one...whether it's a P83, P85, P86 or the P88. Having choices is a good thing!

-Mark

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
So I tried the "new" P88 with the big fat knob - much better than the P85AC with that skinny flat knob. But still, they should have kept it similar to the old school P85......and the throw off arm is just weird being long and bent like that.....

Drumceet

Reaction score
I tried a P-86. It worked well, but the hinge pin on the strainer kept working itself out of place. I had to keep pushing it back in with my finger. Just a bad design.
Sounds like perhaps you got unlucky with a defective one. Mine works perfectly.

Latest posts