Need advice on buying new Ludwig drums

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your insights! I do have a supersensitive 14X6.5 so my snare needs are met. As to lugs, I never got into any particular lug love thing, so a quick pick may be fine for me, especially since it'll get here quicker. I went to youtube to see a comparison of legacy and classic maples, and was surprised at how much I didn't like the legacys. They had such a strong tonal note to them, that I feared it would be heard over the melody. I much preferred the classic maple sound, which has great tone without being so note-y that I could easily make out an F# emanating from them. More of a pleasing thud than a distinct tone.

Someone mentioned Joe Morello - a great technician, which got me into drumming in the first place (with the Take Five album). Then came Buddy Rich, which my drummer dad introduced me to (Mercy Mercy Mercy album). It was off to the races after that. I would love to build a kit like his, but it may be too much trouble. I play swing, rock, and contemporary pop. Nothing stirs me like a big band, and, of course, Bonham. Loves me some good classic Rock!

I listened to a youtube comparison between Zildjian A's and K's. Although I may grab a sweet 20-22 inch K ride, I think the A's will suit me better overall. But that will be affected when stick meets bronze. RegalTip 5B for rock, 5A for everything else.

I may futz around with some mounting options, although I do love the Atlas look. Because this is such a nice set, I know I'll be rich and famous in no time, and I'll have my roadies heft my gear. Win Win! :3some:

The CM price of $2,149.00 looks pretty stable everywhere. I forget if that's the 22,13,16, but if not, I may upgrade to it Add mounts, heads and cymbals and I should be right in the sweet spot. It took a long time to gather the coin of the realm for this. Looks like Sweetwater will enjoy some new business.

Thanks again folks! I'll update here when the hardware comes rolling in.

I think you will be quite happy with the classic maple line. One cool thing about wraps now is that they are UV protected from damaging sun. Of course it's hard to really know but when I ordered my classic maple set in 2012, I ordered a 22,13,16 with a matching eight lug snare and canister throne (Got the last one made). I had always wished I ordered a 14x14 as well but didn't have enough to swing that in 2012. After a couple of hundred gigs inside and outside, I ordered the 14x14 in 2015. It was a dead on color match and the set as of this moment still looks practically new with strong color all around.

You mention that you have a snare already which is cool. One is never really enough though right? Lol. Seriously though my classic maple snare drum gets the most compliments of any snare drum I have ever owned. I rarely get comments on things like that from sounds guys and whatnot but for some reason this snare is liked by a lot of people.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Quite true...my first love in drums. But I have almost as many Gretsch drums and some Slingerlands and Rogers as well, just to cover all the bases.
Do you ever set up with the best sounding drums of different makes? That would be very cool!

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think you will be quite happy with the classic maple line. One cool thing about wraps now is that they are UV protected from damaging sun. Of course it's hard to really know but when I ordered my classic maple set in 2012, I ordered a 22,13,16 with a matching eight lug snare and canister throne (Got the last one made). I had always wished I ordered a 14x14 as well but didn't have enough to swing that in 2012. After a couple of hundred gigs inside and outside, I ordered the 14x14 in 2015. It was a dead on color match and the set as of this moment still looks practically new with strong color all around.

You mention that you have a snare already which is cool. One is never really enough though right? Lol. Seriously though my classic maple snare drum gets the most compliments of any snare drum I have ever owned. I rarely get comments on things like that from sounds guys and whatnot but for some reason this snare is liked by a lot of people.
I concur with Kurt about the Classic Maple snare.
Curt

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do you have before and after pics ???
No - didn't take pics. The 13 edge was done terribly by the factor and the drum actually wobbled. Probably 1/16" of an inch off. It was a really nice gold sparkle kit - 13, 16, 18, 24 with a 6.5 snare.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes. Everyone seems to use Chris - he's one of the nicest guys ever and is a true drum whisperer.
How do you get ahold of him? I tried contacting Heuer through the website multiple times; no reply, ever. Is there a secret number? Do you have to be a famous drummer?

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes. Everyone seems to use Chris - he's one of the nicest guys ever and is a true drum whisperer.
True, I recently had a phone conversation with him regarding refinishing and cost and all that, he is very helpful and I have only heard good things about him.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How do you get ahold of him? I tried contacting Heuer through the website multiple times; no reply, ever. Is there a secret number? Do you have to be a famous drummer?
No - call him. He is crazy busy and a one man shop so keep that in mind. I'm lucky to live in So Cal. I am certainly not famous.

Latest posts