Need Advice on DIY Cymbal Arm

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I decided to make a DIY Hoop mounted cymbal arm using parts I found in my parts box.

I found a great hoop mounted clamp with 6 inch rod for a cowbell. I also found a nice cymbal stand rod with cymbal tilter. The cymbal rod fits PERFECTLY over the 6 inch cowbell rod.

So, thats going to work fine. However, one problem. The cymbal arm spins around on the 6 inch cowbell rod, as there is no way to lock it onto the short rod. There is about 1/16th of an inch "play".

Any suggestions on how to keep the cymbal rod from spinning? I suppose I could put a thin layer of tape on the short rod, then twist the cymbal rod onto it, but I'd rather do something more permanent.

Any ideas, drum brothers>?

kdgrissom

Reaction score
Take it a Machine shop and they can arc weld that in place in about 30 seconds

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thank you guys, those are both good suggestions. I dont think the set screw thing will work, as the cymbal rod is too thin to cut any treads into it, and I cant see a screw really holding that with the vibrations.

The machine shop idea is very smart, and yes, that would work. I was hoping for something I could do here. I also dont really know any machine shops nearby.

My thought was for something I could do here. Maybe some kind of epoxy?

Last edited:

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I thought you guys might like to see the (almost) finished cymbal mount. I still have to find a way to secure the rod to the clamp. But this entire mount was built with parts from my Drum Parts box, both pieces had no bolts, screws, wing nuts, etc. Everything was found in the parts box. Its solid on the hoop, too. What do you think?

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's what makes the shell mount cymbal arms of yesteryear so valuable. They have the set screw part reversed at the bottom. That's a machine job not many do anymore.

Attachments

loach71

Reaction score
I thought you guys might like to see the (almost) finished cymbal mount. I still have to find a way to secure the rod to the clamp. But this entire mount was built with parts from my Drum Parts box, both pieces had no bolts, screws, wing nuts, etc. Everything was found in the parts box. Its solid on the hoop, too. What do you think?
Cool retro vibe!

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks Loach! Thats the idea, as this is going on a 1950s restored Gretsch BD. I worked on the hoops/inlays late last night as well, should be done with them by tomorrow.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Find a shaft collar with the same inside diameter as your upper tube's outside dimension. Drill a hole in your upper tube that corresponds to the tightening post on the collar. Line up the new hole with the hole on the collar so that the locking bolt passes through both holes allowing the tightening bolt to engage with the rod inside. Epoxy, weld, or otherwise attach the shaft collar to the tube in this position. Typically the shaft collar lock bolt will be a headless allen head affair but if you can match up the thread you can replace it with a wing bolt for easier adjustment. Other than the plating this would give you a very similar setup to the way the old Ludwig cymbal arms worked.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
KO.....As usual, you have the expert solution to the problem. The problem is that I'm very limited in what I can do tools wise. But your idea of a sleeve is fantastic, I bet that if I can find a sleeve the right size, I can just epoxy the whole thing to not move.

Many thanks for the cool idea!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
KO.....As usual, you have the expert solution to the problem. The problem is that I'm very limited in what I can do tools wise. But your idea of a sleeve is fantastic, I bet that if I can find a sleeve the right size, I can just epoxy the whole thing to not move.

Many thanks for the cool idea!
I think epoxy would do the trick, JB weld or PC7 perhaps. Another option would be to flare out the bottom of the tube with the collar already on it. The collars on the old Ludwig cymbal arms are just friction fitted in place. So really the only tricky part of this is you need to drill one hole in your tube that is slightly larger than the set screw in the collar and then line them up.

Latest posts