Need advice on heads

MrYikes

Reaction score
Hi. I bought my Rogers set in 64. I still have a couple of original heads. Most heads are Remo weather heads. I would like to upgrade the heads. I stopped touring in the 70s and haven't touched them since but now I want to use them in a community band playing concert and swing tunes. How can I find out what heads would work for me?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on the sound you're going for, but I would think a single or double ply coated head would work. I just reheaded a set of 3 ply Slingerlands and chose Aquarian 2 ply on top (Response 2) and single ply on bottom, both coated. I love the warm tone I'm getting and wouldn't hesitate to try that if I were in your shoes. You may prefer Remo and that's fine, coated Emperor or Ambassador on top and coated Ambassador on the bottom would be similar.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Exactly what LossForGain said: single ply coated Ambassadors top and bottom. Or, you may like to substitute Evans G1 coated heads top and bottom. The older Rogers (and Ludwig and Slingerland) tom shells need all the help they can get when used in a live setting like the one you've described, and coated single ply heads will give you the volume and ring that you will need.

GeeDeeEmm

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use coated Vintage Emperors on my Rogers drums. The coated Ambassadors have a bit too much sustain (boing) for me. I love the vintage Emperors, though. They're on all my drums, including my newer Gretsch Renowns.

(Note: Snare is always Aquarian Texture Coated and Remo snareside hazy.)

Latest posts