header.nohb.html

Need advise for storing and protecting my drum kit

AnnBehr

Reaction score
I am new to drumming, still learning with a long way to go, and a few months ago I bought my first drum kit. It's been kept in the basement because that's the coolest area in the house and it's not exposed to straight on sunlight, but, unbeknownst to me, it turns out that there's a high amount of moisture in the basement. Obviously I want to take really good care of my drums, but I didn't give it too much thought until just last night when I was cleaning my kit and I noticed what I believe to be a bubble or warp (are those the correct terms?) in the wrap. So now I've got some questions that I hope can be answered by you guys, especially those more experienced than me. I have been doing research about warping but I would really appreciate your guy's opinions.

First off: I've read a lot of people talking about how heat affects drums but my problem isn't heat (I took that into consideration when I first got the kit) it's moisture. so I'm wondering how badly, like, in a worse case scenario, can moisture harm my drums? I'm assuming that how long it takes to do major damage depends on the kit itself. I've also read one or two things about the drums drying out after soaking up too much moisture? I don't know if that applies to only a certain type of drum, and maybe I didn't get that. But if it does, then I do understand that, in my case, the biggest problem I would have is re-tuning and that in itself isn't a problem at all.

I'm thinking about maybe relocating my kit and the only possible places are in the garage or my room. The garage is a no due to lack of space and idk about my room cuz I kinda doubt I could maintain a stable temperature, that and I haven't even checked how much moisture is up here.

The last thing I can think of right now are drum cases. They are very expensive to me but if storing my kits in them when not in use would help keep the shells protected then that's obviously something that I need to do. That being said, would drum cases help? Clearly I'll need them when I start transporting my kit but would keeping the the drums stored away when not in use stop the shells from warping or bubbling?

These are kinda a lot of questions, sorry about that, but I truly, truly, appreciate and accept any helpful ideas or opinions that could assist me.

Thank you so much, everyone!!

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am new to drumming, still learning with a long way to go, and a few months ago I bought my first drum kit. It's been kept in the basement because that's the coolest area in the house and it's not exposed to straight on sunlight, but, unbeknownst to me, it turns out that there's a high amount of moisture in the basement. Obviously I want to take really good care of my drums, but I didn't give it too much thought until just last night when I was cleaning my kit and I noticed what I believe to be a bubble or warp (are those the correct terms?) in the wrap. So now I've got some questions that I hope can be answered by you guys, especially those more experienced than me. I have been doing research about warping but I would really appreciate your guy's opinions.

To keep things simple just think of this. If it’s comfortable for you (your room), it’s comfortable for your drums. The basement is too damp, the attic too hot, and extreme changes in temperature or humidity is the enemy.
Basically if the drums can live inside your house they will last forever.
Storing them is much the same.
Don’t seal them up in plastic (I know a guy that thought he was protecting his DW Timeless Timber’s that way and ruined an $8k kit, no kidding)
They need to breath so moisture isn’t trapped with them.
So without overthinking it, try to let the drums live in the space a family member would.

AnnBehr

Reaction score
To keep things simple just think of this. If it’s comfortable for you (your room), it’s comfortable for your drums. The basement is too damp, the attic too hot, and extreme changes in temperature or humidity is the enemy.
Basically if the drums can live inside your house they will last forever.
Storing them is much the same.
Don’t seal them up in plastic (I know a guy that thought he was protecting his DW Timeless Timber’s that way and ruined an $8k kit, no kidding)
They need to breath so moisture isn’t trapped with them.
So without overthinking it, try to let the drums live in the space a family member would.
Ok, that makes sense, thank you for replying, it means a lot! I'm gonna do some more thinking on the matter but this really does help, thanks again!

pjmariner

Reaction score
I keep mine in basement. It’s essentia to run a dehumidifier if you have moisture issues. Mine dehumidifier is setup to drain into slop sink in laundry room. I can set it and forget, it comes on when needed and keeps humidity below 35% year round and I never have to empty bucket.

also, I would loosely drape an old sheet over them/cymbal to keep dust and such off of them when not using them if basement is dusty, etc.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well moisture definitely isn’t good for metal because of rust. For wood it isn’t too good either but there are actually drum companies that take logs of wood that have been at the bottom of lakes for hundreds of years and make drum sets out them so I guess water can’t be that bad for wood. The sheet thing is a good idea and you can also stack drums on top of each other so you save space like the picture below AND put thick cardboard between the drums (from Amazon boxes or something) to prevent too much weight on any of the drums.
56882544-7CF8-446A-BA49-6989ADDB5CE6.jpeg