Need an appraisal on a vintage snare

urrawness

Reaction score
I have an old snare my father had that was given to me when he died that I would like to have appraised. It has 8 lugs is 4" deep and 14" wide. It is brass.
20190612_171450.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

urrawness

Reaction score
Thank you. I'm trying to catalogue it so I can get an idea of what I'm workin with. About 10 years ago a guy offered my dad $2500 for it and he turned it down. Said it was kinda low. I just wanna know what it's worth.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Worthless junk, sorry to say. Just send it on to me, and I'll take good care of it.

Not.
It's likely a Ludwig Black Beauty Dance model, but unfortunately, someone stripped all the nickel and black off it. I see many dents, also.
You will likely receive stacks of emails offering to buy it, and I don't blame the senders. Your father had excellent taste in drums; that one is quite desirable. (I've got one myself, 10 lug). A loose estimate is $800 - $1000, but what you really want is a fellow named Mike Currotto to come strollin' by. He will have a very clear, accurate idea on this drum and its value.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Beautiful instrument, highly collectible. Certainly worth holding onto for a variety of reasons.

TRJR

Reaction score
Lovely drum! Though the aforementioned members are eminently more qualified than I to put a value upon. I’m. Certain with a good set of heads and snare wires it will be an awesome sounding snare. The one any drummer on this forum would love to own. Not an encouragement or inducement to sell. You’re a fortunate man.

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have an old snare my father had that was given to me when he died that I would like to have appraised. It has 8 lugs is 4" deep and 14" wide. It is brass. View attachment 413505
That top rim with the "Ludwig Chicago" engraving was usually on Stipelgold, Ludwigold and White Inspiration Models...I've also seen that rim on un-engraved DeLuxes (Black Beauties) too. Your drum looks like it was buffed to brass....If it was buffed to brass I feel that your dad should have taken the 2500.00 back then.

Mike Curotto

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Reaction score
I think someone has cleaned, buffed, and cleaned again this drum. That same cleaning / buffing cut the price in almost half. Nice drum, don't get me wrong, just wish it was not messed with.

campbellh

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also think it was buffed to brass but started originally with a different finish (as Mike suggested). If it was engraved (a Black Beauty or Inspiration), it might still have some significant value. To me, the removal of the original finish greatly diminishes the value. If you get anything over $1000, you're a lucky man IMHO. Still a cool players drum.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Or someone could put in an offer on this Deluxe. The BIN is $1900.

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
yep, shouldve taken 2500....its about an $800 drum....maybe less, had plating removed, but the stamp on top hoop is cool.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Which is why I no longer like giving pricing or ID information to brand new members on their "treasures." Once they have that information, most will not come back again. And then we would have unleashed someone on the unsuspecting public who will ask 2X to 3X the value of the item as discussed here.....in a way, making it "less" available to the drumming community. At least they don't know how to construct a proper for sale ad. Yes, it is fun to discuss cool items like this. But the ending is too often a let down.

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
Which is why I no longer like giving pricing or ID information to brand new members on their "treasures." Once they have that information, most will not come back again. And then we would have unleashed someone on the unsuspecting public who will ask 2X to 3X the value of the item as discussed here.....in a way, making it "less" available to the drumming community. At least they don't know how to construct a proper for sale ad. Yes, it is fun to discuss cool items like this. But the ending is too often a let down.
....I put in offer for $300! :D