Need Audio advice ( Rookie here )

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to begin playing along to music ( drum less tracks etc). I want the capability to hear the music through quality speakers and headphones in the basement. I just have no idea what to buy. Budget is a concern for sure. So that being said is a laptop the way to go ? Or a tablet ? Is there an amp or interface of some sort that I need between the speakers and what brands would you recommend ? I really know just about zero about this stuff, any help will be appreciated.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
A smartphone would suffice; a laptop or tablet should work just the same, to play mp3 files via headphone-out socket, or bluetooth wireless.
For listening while drumming, I got myself some earmuffs/hearing protection and use in-ear headphones underneath, but there are also headphone/earmuff combinations, for example from Vic Firth. I wanted the headphones to be cable-bound, to avoid latency and to be able to monitor recording myself, but I also got an extension cable to be able to move more freely.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, for the sake of your ears you want to play the music over closed back headphones or isolation headphones.
You'd probably have to crank speakers very loud, and earbuds wouldn't remove enough drum sound, so you'd ending up cranking them dangerously loud also.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
First and foremost, PROTECT YOUR HEARING!! The confines of a stinking basement is toxic to your ears mighty fast if care is not practiced like using a condom. There are countless horror-stories of Basement Musicians losing out on their hearing. My late brother was one of them and he played the stinking saxophone in a converted garage! Drums? YIKES! Your ears are the most precocious instrument, never forget that. Protect your hearing and avoid your prized Paistes sounding like trashcan-lids in the future. Or your prized Sonors sound like a flushing toilet when you bang out Phil Collin's fill of "In the Air Tonight". A good decent start is a set of 32 or 80 ohm closed Beyer-Dynamics DT-770 headphones. I have big ears so the real estate of the 770's fit the bill. Their OEM ear-pads are IMHO are the best. I've got dozens of spare OEM pads too. Comfort is key! You'll be using them for hours and the last thing you need is painful squashed-ear syndrome (leading to a headache) from ill-fitting, lousy earpads. I can sleep all night and do without the slightest discomfort. They're many earpads that will fit them, but the OEM are the bomb. The 160 bucks are a bargain for what a great German-built DT-77's will give you sonically. I've about a dozen scattered about that are decades old and still stellar. They're hard to beat in durability and sound quality for the price. Like the Sony 7506, for about 100 bucks, they've been a standard for decades. Save the blast-ass speakers for upstairs. If you're gonna bash away practicing, put on some quality shooting-range ear-plugs and then the frigging headphones. Thirty years from now your ears will thank you while all the others will have long been sign-language communicating veterans! Go out and buy a used laptop and dump all your music in it. And only use that laptop for music. At the same time get hold of some free on-line software and learn it as it will give you a foundation on manipulating music. There's a few out there. try them out to find which works better for you. Give it a few hours a day like you would beating on the drums. It is important that you keep this computer only for your music. No gaming or surfing the net. It is to be your personal music-pedia. You don't loan it to any one. The only time it gets on the net is for updates. Above all, PROTECT YOUR HEARING!!

Last edited: