Need help choosing a Maple kit

foochcky

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm in the market for a new kit. It'll be mid-level. I have an account with Sweetwater so I'll be getting it from there. They have 4 in my price range. Let me know what you think.

Tama Superstar
Pearl Decade
PDP Concept
Gretsch Catalina

drumrman2002

Reaction score
Of all the kits you listed my personal choice would be the PDP Concept, but, I've been playing PDP drums for a while. They're a great bang for the buck. Check out the reviews on Amazon. The PDP is rated 4.8 out of 5 stars.

The Gretsch Catalina would probably be a good choice as well, but the drums are slightly smaller: 20" bass drum vs. 22" for the PDP. The Gretsch toms are also slightly shallower than the PDP. The Catalina kit is rated 5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.

Those ratings doesn't mean the kit will be the right one for you. My advice is find a music store that carry these brands and try them out. You can also check out videos on Youtube to get a general idea of how they sound. Check out videos on all the drums you listed and see what they sound like.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the Superstar Hyperdrives myself. Nothing wrong with regular Superstars either. If you want more drums, the Concept 7 piece is a good value for the money too. I just like the hardware , mounting system and the die cast hoops that come with the hyperdrives. That kit has pro features for intermediate pricing in my opinion.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have the Catalina in 7pc. Great sounding kit, love it. Although mine is a stop sign badge and pre DW. I've heard really good things about the PDP concepts too.

KRG

Reaction score
I think those would all be great choices. I recently bought the PDP CM7's, and they're pretty awesome. The other kit that I was debating with was a set of Yamaha's. That would have been a five-pice though, instead of a seven. I've heard nothing but amazing things regarding the PDP's, so I got them, and I'm totally happy with them. Haven't gigged with them yet..but I will.
Regardless, you have some good choice there, read the reviews, and most importantly, if you can tap on 'em, and play them a bit..do that, you find THE ones.

Good luck!

p.s. let us know what you choose..and pics..lots and lots of pics!! :)

R

RickP

I think I would go with the PDP Concept maples if I was in your boat. I played a backline set of these last year and I was really happy with the sound and the build quality is very nice as well.

The Pearl Decade maple look pretty nice ( I am not a fan of Pearl though).

Tama 's Superstar maple drums are very nice too. Tama has great hardware and they just make nice stuff. They have never been on my radar till the last couple years. They make great drums, maybe the best they have ever made now.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dude, you should seriously consider one of INDe Drum Lab's maple kits. They aren't that expensive and you will get something MUCH BETTER than any of the selections you have. I played them at last year's Chicago Show and honestly, they were the least expensive drums at the show and they sounded the best. Josh has demo kits available for great prices and you will get something made with love from someone who really cares about building the best drum at the best price point. Josh is a great guy who has a ton of building experience and those drums absolutely rock. BTW: I have no skin in the game whatsoever and have no affiliation with either Josh or INDe Drum Lab. They are just great drums priced very competitively.

http://www.indedrum.com

PassiveTone78

Reaction score
Treviso1 said:
Dude, you should seriously consider one of INDe Drum Lab's maple kits. They aren't that expensive and you will get something MUCH BETTER than any of the selections you have. I played them at last year's Chicago Show and honestly, they were the least expensive drums at the show and they sounded the best. Josh has demo kits available for great prices and you will get something made with love from someone who really cares about building the best drum at the best price point. Josh is a great guy who has a ton of building experience and those drums absolutely rock. BTW: I have no skin in the game whatsoever and have no affiliation with either Josh or INDe Drum Lab. They are just great drums priced very competitively.

Yes, you can get a kit for 1200, and they have demo kits as low as 900. Get an INDe kit.

towndog

Reaction score
But the OP has a Sweetwater account and probably wants to take advantage of their payment plan. I think between those 4 my choice would be PDP Concept Maple with the 26" kick.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Treviso1 said:

For The OP - I just went through the same thing you are. I ended up going with INDe. Less shells but much more quality for the buck.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Rich K. said:
Tama superstar would be my choice.
Tama drums cured me of my Asian drum phobia. I acquired this disease in the 1960's when I was a kid because Japanese drums were such a joke. Even in the 70's, I wasn't impressed. In the 80's, I still ignored them, even though Elvin Jones was playing them. In the 90's, I started wondering. By the 2000's, when they were coming out with these really good mid-level sets, I started to take notice.

I went with Tama several years back for my regular 2-3-4 night a week gigging set. Same thing the poster is looking at, mid-level. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a kit that was going to be hauled all over the place and worked to death. They're ridiculously good sounding drums, great tuning range. And they're built to last.

Mine are Silverstars, birch shells. For maple, I think you're referring to Superstar Classics.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Treviso1 said:

Can't argue, although they're necessarily more expensive that mid level drums, which average $6-700. But for the extra bucks, you get a made in America set that is going to be killing.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
rondrums51 said:

Can't argue, although they're necessarily more expensive that mid level drums, which average $6-700. But for the extra bucks, you get a made in America set that is going to be killing.
josh has some demo kits and in stock kits starting @ $899.00. http://www.indedrum.com/products/kits-in-stock-ready-to-ship

foochcky

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the input! It's greatly appreciated. When I'm buying I always prefer feedback from a forum like this, instead of the foolish 5 star "best ever" reviews, or the 1 star "piece of crap" reviews. Which seems to be all I ever see on most sites.

To those of you that gave me the INDe drum suggestion. I really like the idea, and what I saw on their sites looks great! However, as towndog pointed out, I have a Sweetwater account and am able to take advantage of their 24 months no interest deal, so for convenience sake I'm going to go that route.

After all the suggestions I think I've eliminated the Pearl (it started in 4th place anyway). Many of you stated that I couldn't go wrong with any of them, which was confidence inspiring. I think I have it down to the Tama Superstar or the PDP Concept (yes rondrums51, I was referring to the Superstar Classic). Since it pretty much seems like a toss-up between the 2, I'll probably make the final decision based on the least important, yet still pleasing aspect... looks!

I'll let you guys know what I end up with, and KRG I will post pics! :headbang:

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Gretsch Renown have their own shells and edges, unlike other brands . These are superb drums and used kits are very reasonably priced .

chollyred

Reaction score
I think they're all good choices, but it comes down to finish. I've kinda gotten back into classic wraps lately and a little tired of of all the fades and natural lacquer choices. The clear finishes are beautiful, but I like the sparkles and pearlized finishes under lights.

Looking at Sweetwater, they have the Tama Superstar in white sparkle marked down to $499. That would be tough to beat (IMO).

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CK52SWSP

TheArchitect

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They would all be fine choices. I personally chose the PDP lines when I was in your shoes. 10 years in on my CX Maple kit and 3 years plus on my Concept Maple kit.